JK2 1.02 specific jump bug in map making

Go to solution Solved by Boothand,

I am not sure if anyone in 1.02 has run into this bug creating a custom map.  I know I have and have not exactly found a fix other than upgrading to 1.04 which has the bug fix.  It's actually a pretty big problem and can make a map unfit for full force fighting. 

This bug in 1.02 happens when you click and hold jump and walk up an incline that is cut flat on top.  At the top of the incline you will launch into the air and it seems the height of the jump is affected by the height of your map.  Also if you click and hold jump and someone force pushes you, you will also launch into the air with the same effect, (this also works testing it with bots).

I have been trying to narrow down a solution.  I am not exactly sure what the cause of this is (although I have a few assumptions), I have been trying a few things to counteract this problem if it arises.  The bespin arena wip I released has this problem in 1.02.  The area I cut from it is worse so I am working with that separate map trying a few things to fix it. 

Anyone know about this bug or ever have problems with it?

For those who don't know what this bug is: http://www.twitch.tv/boothand/b/497558943

I noticed that with a lot of similar design, ffa_bespin doesn't have this bug at all, anywhere, while deathstar has. If you could figure out how they fixed it in ffa_bespin and try to convert that strategy to most places in your map that have the same kind of design (like stairs), you could at least lessen the issue. But I don't know how you would fix this otherwise without ruining general gameplay.

It has made quite some fun through the ages though. There's also another variant of it. For example in country academy, you could jump from the roof or the windmill and hold jump and land in the water. When reaching the surface again, you would fly up equal to the height of your fall.

As for 1.04, I would never in my life even play with the thought of upgrading :P

lol.  I forgot about the water bug.  I remember that yeah. One map I have you bounce all the way to the ceiling.  Another one I have you don't.  I have tried a bunch of different things already and nothing has worked.  I do believe it has to do with an outside wall or brush.  The map where you go to the ceiling is floating in mid air so there's nothing it's grounded to however you still jump right to the ceiliing.  So it seems also to take your position in the map in relation to this outside brush I speak of.  If I keep trying I'll find something.  Got another idea compiling atm,  bespin arena you seem to jump the height of the walls for the tunnels you fall in located in the floor and sides of the main area.  You won't hit the ceiling in bespin area but the height is about the same as the tunnel walls.  If you don't hit the ceiling in bespin arena I know there's some way to change the height, I just haven't figured it out just yet.

I don't want to point out the obvious, but there's a reason patches are released for games :s It's to fix problems like these.

The patches that have been released haven't only fixed bugs, they have completely overhauled the gameplay. The patches have made sure that almost the entire spectrum of dynamics and possibilities, things that are practiced for years, are reduced to something that for any initiated 1.02 player would feel like a glass dome being put over your head, and your arms and legs taped to pogo sticks.

Not saying 1.04 can't be right for someone, but there's a reason why players don't patch.

Omicron likes this

Did the JK2 1.02 sourcecode get released, or only the final version of it? If so, then it would be cool to have JK2 1.02 but with the bugs fixed, but keeping the same gameplay.

Yeah, 1.02 code is released. I haven't managed to compile it though. It would probably require an in depth discussion on what's regarded as bugs.  :P

Honestly, I'd want JK2 to use a similar system as DLLs in JKA, and simply a preprocessor command (#define JK2__102). That way, we can fix bugs on both codebases.

But I believe that OpenJK has enough problems with split codebases as it is. If someone wants to add support for JK2 MP, have at it.

Omicron likes this

I am pretty sure it's not the zero thing.  I have one map on 0 that does adn one on zero that doesn't have a jump bug.  The other under zero jumps further than the zero line.  I didn't change the difference to zero but I made a brush in the map that made the jump bug height smaller without moving the map any.  If the zero theory was correct making a brush inside the map should not effect anything.  I haven't worked on fixing the bug much lately.  Working on a map release atm but I'll get back to it before too long.

• Solution

I am pretty sure it's not the zero thing.  I have one map on 0 that does adn one on zero that doesn't have a jump bug.  The other under zero jumps further than the zero line.  I didn't change the difference to zero but I made a brush in the map that made the jump bug height smaller without moving the map any.  If the zero theory was correct making a brush inside the map should not effect anything.  I haven't worked on fixing the bug much lately.  Working on a map release atm but I'll get back to it before too long.

It's definitely got to do with the zero thing. I made a short video to prove it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGpmooWcVxM

Raz0r likes this

I think there were only a couple things wrong with 1.02.  One of them being the jump bug.  I am compiling a map now to check if moving the entire map above 0 will work.  If this fixes the problem the jump bug basically can be worked around.  This jump bug is really bad for a map because when dueling with full force active it makes the fighting unplayable.

The other problem with jk2 is the mapping limitations.  Shader limits etc.  Having a large map and many custom player models = bad in JK2.  I had to compromise so much mapping for JK2 because of the crappy shader limits.

Everything else is fine for the most part.  I think getting stuck when pushing forward when someone force pushes you adds to the dynamic of the game in 1.02.  Keeps you on your toes.  I like the spinning of a character when performing an action and that too I think adds to the gameplay and adds to the fun.  People can really master the technique in JK2 1.02 and kick the living force out of somebody lol.   1.04 and JA have always felt so restrictive when fighting someone.  In JA especially the fighting is a bit boring.  JA is too fancy and seems too much for show and dazzle instead of killing your enemy with a lightsaber.

About the only thing I think JO could use is the chat icons (minus the bug fizes).  The chat icons I think was the only thing in 1.04 that was somewhat useful.  Some of the other bugs had workarounds.  Back in the day a person in my old clan was pretty good at working with 1.02 without source code fixing server errors etc.  He had something integrated on our servers to make them more stable and less vulnerable to hackers.  I have tried to contact him recently but no response yet.

Well, just compiled and tested the Zero theory and one of my maps is fixed.  No more jump bug.  I am guessing this will work with my other map I have been experiencing the jump bug with and I will try to apply the same fix to it.

Kind of a wierd bug.  I wonder what causes it.

I will add however, pvp in Swtor I actually like a lot.  It's not all for show in swtor.  Many attacks and abilities have a purpose and a counter, my main problem with swtor is you can't jump worth a crap.  Some have the ability to jump to a target which is really kool but just jumping in general is restrictive.  I mean we are Jedi.....surely we can jump higher than 4 feet off the ground....geez.....Swtor is free to play now too.  If you don't think Swtor is fun or sucks or whatever I'll tell you one thing....I came upon 3 enemies in an open pvp area fighting a bot trying to complete a mission to get some xp etc......I targeted the lowest health one first and killed him before the 3 knew what was going on.  The NPC started fighting one of the 2 guys who was left and I killed him.  The Npc started attacking me and I faded out and dropped my threat while fighting the last guy which caused the NPC to target my enamy, I was on a mission also that required me to click on a charging area with an item I required previously, I quickly ran over to the charging area, low on health not far from death and clicked on it and the charging area in the pvp zone charged up and released a pulse that kill the remaining enemy and left me alive grinning from ear to ear lol.  You can't tell me that's not satisfying :)

P.S. Leveling a toon in swtor for the first time is enjoyable.  A lot of story there but watching cutscenes etc takes a lot of time.  Leveling a character in SWTOR is not where the fun of the game is however.  Once your character hits the level cap is where the game comes alive.  And you don't have to do missions to level up once you reach level 10.  From lvl 10 you can pvp the entire way if you want to the level cap.  I think PvP is quite good in SWTOR and even though there wasn't a JK4 it's not a bad alternative.  You can challenge people to duels......plus SWTOR does have huttball which is fun too lol.

And yes I do have an active SWTOR account right now.  I haven't been playing much lately however.

SWTOR names: Jedi Covenant server:    lil'binger, Igottwormms, Igottherb, Unclesoondead and Crûnchy

Boothand likes this
  • 2 weeks later...