JKO in Unreal Engine Porting Discussion

1528614_674346105929733_381078891_n.jpg

Stop fighting, its not game remake, its movie...

In a gaming engine. With ported textures, brushes, patches, models, sounds and whatever else.

But it's okay if you are just making a movie. Some one should start decompiling all the maps on this site, taking any custom textures and sounds out of them. It would be okay as long you are just making a movie.

eezstreet likes this

In the end it would be even plagiarism when you don't use any original assets. The layout of a level, the shape of a character or the story/plot are copyrighted too. And don't ever think of putting a glowing lightstick in your game by calling it "lightsaber". You're not allowed to use any kind of names, including Jedi, Wookie, Mace Windu, or anything else. And not making money out of it is no argument, it's still forbidden and you can get sued for it. It's just that Disney probably won't care if you don't make money out of it, as long as your game/movie/whatever is not getting too popular. If it does and they see your "product" as a rival they might sue you anyway (for example releasing a free, fanmade SW-MMORPG when an official SW-MMORPG get's released). You always have to remember that big companys have shittons of lawyers whose job it is to sue all day long everyone who broke copyright-laws.

Saying this, I don't think it's likely that these people will get problems with Disney. But some of you people here seem a bit naive :unsure:

Credit where credit is due. Someone out there slaved away (exaggeration) making those maps, and I'm not sure it's fair for people to essentially rip them off and make a derivative work off of it.

Anyone seen Saving Mr. Banks? That's kinda relevant here. It's the same principle as taking a book and making a movie out of it without the authors permission. Except in this case it's more like doing that and then adding the original book text as subtitles.

Go through the proper channels, people.

Circa likes this

I don't think it's a big deal, it's just a movie played for free on youtube that no one makes any profit from.

--> Advertising income <--

Why play the game if you can just watch the movie? <- loss of profits from someone

Wow, these guys made this awesome movie! <- taking credit from those who made the game

I can't see any ads on YT videos :v

I tell you what. Go make a bunch of custom textures, sounds, models and levels. I'll decompile all your levels and take everything you made and use it for myself. Don't worry though, I'll just be making a movie. K?

I tell you what. Go make a bunch of custom textures, sounds, models and levels. I'll decompile all your levels and take everything you made and use it for myself. Don't worry though, I'll just be making a movie. K?

I wouldn't have a problem with that if I made them myself.

K.

And people who made JK graphics, they didn't make this for for themselves, they did it for Lucas Arts/Raven and players and they got paid for that. Im sure people from LA/Raven/Activision/Disney DONT FUCKING CARE about this, because this game is dead for them and i think people from Raven would be happy to see refreshed JK. Aaaand i would be happy to play JKA on Unreal Engine.

If you guys have problem with this project, just leave this topic and let people watch how they work, or report them to police or wherever, because all u do now is talking about shit...

Sorry for my bad english.

K.

And people who made JK graphics, they didn't make this for for themselves, they did it for Lucas Arts/Raven and players and they got paid for that. Im sure people from LA/Raven/Activision/Disney DONT FUCKING CARE about this, because this game is dead for them and i think people from Raven would be happy to see refreshed JK. Aaaand i would be happy to play JKA on Unreal Engine.

If you guys have problem with this project, just leave this topic and let people watch how they work, or report them to police or wherever, because all u do now is talking about shit...

Sorry for my bad english.

Right, do you have anything to say that is based in a logical argument, or are you going to continue your discourse in stupidity?

Darth_Bothersome likes this

Doesn't the porting/legality issue only come into effect when people try to distribute those assets publicly? 

So long as they are being kept by those who have performed the porting (and presumably legally own both games involved, in order to do so), I'm not sure if there is any real legal question mark involved here. They're showcasing their ports, but not distributing them?

Lucasarts/Raven getting up in arms about a YouTube series seems as likely/pointless to me as Hasbro launching a lawsuit over a child posting a video of his action figure customs ("Thou shalt not place thy Obi-Wan figure's head on Boba Fett's body!"). If the team behind this were releasing the maps/models/textures/etc as publicly-available downloads, there would be more traction for opposition.

Why are people on this forum so stiff? So, is logic removing everything "illegal" from this site, when anyone of authors don't care about this? Everything u do is legal or lawful? Where were you when I was posting these videos here? Someone told something about legality and then everyone wake up. I never seen topics like this on other websites.

2gxh5ip.jpg

You guys are missing the point. It's not about the reaction of Raven/Disney/Activision or anyone else. It's a question of principle. And personally I would care a lot if someone would steal my work.

Yes if I made Kyle model for me, if i made model for Raven, I can't do anything.

First off, let's talk about the quality in this expedition in plagiarism. The textures, models and geometry from JKO are terrible for use in the UDK. If you'd like to know why, research the basic differences in technology between the UDK and the modified engine in JKO. Observe assets actually made for use originally in UDK. You can find many examples on Deviantart. This casual observation should lead you to the conclusion that making your own assets for a project in the UDK would produce much more high quality results.

Aside from that, you are talking about completely decompiling levels, with all their brushes and patches, and directly moving them into a different engine. No modification, just straight porting. They may make spec and shitty looking normal maps from the original textures, but aside from that and actually telling the UDK what to do with these shaders, no original work is done.

It's the same exact story with the model meshes, textures and sounds. It's a straight rip. I don't see how you are not understanding that it's plagiarism stemming from a lack of ambition.

Perhaps you don't understand the word. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism

So please, elaborate again how this isn't plagiarism. If you can't, then please enthrall me with your mind expanding discourse that justifies it.

First, can you quote where I said it isn't plagiarism? For second, isn't plagiarism then when they say these textures etc. are made by them? Do they do this?

Why are you talking about quality? I personally prefer to oryginal models/textures/maps/effects in new engine.

You guys are missing the point. It's not about the reaction of Raven/Disney/Activision or anyone else. It's a question of principle. And personally I would care a lot if someone would steal my work.

I'm coming to this discussion fairly late, so chances are I'm missing a little more here but...I'm not sure how this counts as 'stealing' compared to any other JKA machinima?

The folks behind this little movie don't seem to be claiming any of the assets are their original creations. 

They don't seem to be making any pretense about the process of putting this together - where they're sourcing files from, what format they're using to make them seem more cinematic, etc.

They're not offering any ported/stolen content (delete where applicable) for download.

Now, whether or not they're making a good product is a matter of pure opinion. I happen to be curious as to what the final movie will look like, others in this thread seem enthusiastic at the prospect. Likewise, folks such as yourself and @@MoonDog seem firmly against it on principled grounds. That's fine.

Saying that you don't like it because of the lack of original work in it, or because you feel it 'stems from a lack of ambition' or any other reason you care to list is entirely valid - you can't have a wrong opinion. It doesn't contain a lot of original work, in terms of models, designs, and so forth.

But whether or not re-packaging JKO assets in the UDK engine for the purposes of a machinima video counts as plagiarism is a slightly more elastic issue. In the wikipedia link Moondog gave to the term, it specifically defines the term as the appopriation of someone's work for the purpose of presenting it as your own. The folks behind this don't seem to have done this. They've not said "Look what we made all by ourselves!", but rather, "Look what we've made by putting all these different pieces together!". It's an advanced form of kids playing with action figures. 

Jango40 and RAILBACK like this

Relevant: http://jkhub.org/topic/3239-porting-discussion/?p=44029

Regardless of that it is being used for, the content is being ported, which is a violation of the EULAs on both the LA/Raven/Disney side, and the Epic Games side.

Also, while technically under "artistic license" and "fair-use", Machinima still uses the Star Wars IP, and branding, so you could be shut down entirely on that basis alone. Especially considering Disney has the new Star Wars film in the works and actually canceled the 3D theatre releases of the remaining films in preparation.  See Also: that linked thread, I point out that Disney has a history of being very tight-fisted with their IP, so if word got out on this, yes it would probably see a C&D order.