JKO in Unreal Engine Porting Discussion

I never agree with lifting from games or stealing other peoples work, there's a certain pride knowing that you've worked hard to make something from scratch.  It's also disrespectful to steal peoples work and claim it as your own, i should know, i've been a victim of it myself.

• 1 month later...

That's a horrible idea.

Well, If it supposed to be JKO, how do you imagine using other kind of textures?

We all want to see the same this we saw, but looking really good. And using the same textures is the best way to make in look the same. What do you want, for the floors to be pink?

Well, If it supposed to be JKO, how do you imagine using other kind of textures?

We all want to see the same this we saw, but looking really good. And using the same textures is the best way to make in look the same. What do you want, for the floors to be pink?

The textures in JKO/JKA are horrible for use in UDK for several reasons, but yeah let's make illogical broken English statements about pink floors.

Futuza likes this
  • 1 month later...

MB3 could have used someone like this guy to map, it would probably have a demo out by now lol.

Still, I plan on watching this when its done. :D

It's really easy. Decompile the map, convert it for use in UDK. Or you could you know, make original assets instead of decompiling a bunch.

• 4 weeks later...

Its dam amazing that I'm watching full HD 2D animations of my favorite game. I looked at all their work so far. It makes any JA modding look very cartoonish. And BTW, using existing work is definitely the way to go. Its Star Wars: check. Its the original game: check. It's much easier to port over: check. Can they possibly POLISH up some other popular mods made by other players? : why not?

Curious stuff, though it's not big news: there've been quite a lot of such mods/ports (etc), which re-created original SW games in new graphics and with new engines. This one indeed looks very interesting.

But wait, we've been playing JO and JA. And these videos represent very different games...

Good gawd man. ASK permission. And again:  Its Star Wars: check. Its the original game: check. It's much easier to port over: check. 

I'm glad you understand the concept of permission to use and or modify mods. I'd give you a cookie, but I don't think it will improve the situation. NO COOKIE.

Other than that, I'm not sure what you are trying to prove. I don't agree or condone the practice of porting. Especially with something like this. I'm not going to act impressed when someone decompiles levels, converts them for use in UDK, rips base assets like textures, animations, models, sounds and slaps their name on it.

But if we are going to pretend thats an acceptable practice, whatever.

Those are good points I guess. Personally for me something like that is either okay for everyone, or not okay at all. Selectively deciding that one is acceptable and others are not seems sort of hypocritical of a community in general. Nawyamsaying?

Well heres an example. The creator George started it all, correct? So now RAVEN (or whomever is making STAR WARS themed game Product etc.) is now plagiarizing? We take ideas and improve on them. There are no eggshells. Just points of view. Yes? Because the last thing we want to do is offend or be offended. So we talk about it and work it out with more clear explanations. Maybe we should revise the actual word or idea? Because if someone made an idea or product and put VERY little work into it and tried to pass it off as their own, or even make money on it: That's unethical.

Well heres an example. The creator George started it all, correct? So now RAVEN (or whomever is making STAR WARS themed game Product etc.) is now plagiarizing? We take ideas and improve on them. There are no eggshells. Just points of view. Yes? Because the last thing we want to do is offend or be offended. So we talk about it and work it out with more clear explanations. Maybe we should revise the actual word or idea? Because if someone made an idea or product and put VERY little work into it and tried to pass it off as their own, or even make money on it: That's unethical.

What the actual fuck?

Darth_Bothersome likes this

You do realize that JKA and JK2 are both licensed products of LucasArts, right? As in, LucasArts told Raven that they could make the game (in fact, they were the ones to approach them, I believe), and LucasArts in turn takes a cut of Raven Software's profit from the game...that's generally how these things work. It isn't plagiarism or stealing of any ideas. Do you think that the concept of Jedi Knight 2 existed, that there was a Jedi Knight 2 before Raven made it? Of course not. But I'll stop here, because someone out there will say, "but eezstreet, what about songs that are remakes of other songs? what about remakes of old movies?" <-- most of the time these are given the blessing of the original creator, are public domain (something which Star Wars is definitely not in the category of) or have paid money out to the original creator.

But this doesn't happen all the time. That's why you ask for permission fully.

Stoiss, Circa and Futuza like this

Eezstreet has a point. Whether it's top-quality work, or no profit is being made from the product, the models themselves are still ported over for the project. Ravensoft and Activision had licenses to work with Star Wars and create the content that they made. It's never a great idea to port content to another project, regardless if you give credit or state that you're not the original creator of it.