Help D: Is it my mouse or my laptop?

Go to solution Solved by Futuza,

I just got an issue that started last night. Initially it was having to click twice rather than the usual once to say, get into a Facebook link (i.e friend's name), now it has become worse and the area where I'm clicking/pointing at isn't the area that the mouse is at.

I'm not sure how to explain it better but its like I click on a unread thread here and the noob mouse or laptop seems to think I clicked on some other portion of the site. I can click on [x] that indicates close perfectly fine. Even start a new tab and select a previous site I've gone to.

Is it my mouse or my laptop :x I haven't dropped either. The touch-screen works perfectly.

Typical IT support questions incoming.

Have you rebooted your laptop since this started occurring?

Have you used Windows Update lately to make sure you haven't missed any important updates?

Have you verified all your drivers are working properly and are up to date?

Have you unplugged and replugged the mouse back in?

Have you tried a different mouse? (helps isolate the problem to either your mouse or your machine)

Yup I've restarted it, auto updates, replugged it, all drivers are good to go.

I'm thinking it might be a browser issue (I'm using IE) since outside of the browser it works fine, like in folders etc...

I suggest using Chrome or Firefox. Or anything but IE. Would benefit you in more ways than this mouse issue. :D

• Solution

Which version of internet explorer are you using?

Have you tried using using internet explorer with add-ons disabled?  (Windows Key + R” then Type “iexplore –extoff)

Have you reset to factory settings?  (tools > internet options > advanced > Reset...)

JKG Developer

The latest one. I turned off Java and that appeared to have solve it for a few seconds, but when I went to Facebook it happened again even though Java claimed to be disabled...

Nothing worked until I reset to factory settings as you said, so thanks for that man :)

You're welcome.  It is unfortunate that I have seen this issue before and fixed it a few times.  I'd rather be programming.  IT Support is so...not that awesome.  :D

JKG Developer

Truth. But it's so...easy. :P

No element of truth in this unless you stay in the world of "one desktop" :)

The other suggestion around the resetting to factory was to look at the rendering settings (in the same place, in the menu) to see what looks out of the blue.

The suggestion was fine, and normally if your not a user who modifies IE works, but retaining your IE modifications is sometimes necessary so for those people, the things to try would be to:

- Delete Temp Files

- Delete Cookies (maybe)

- Resetting the options as per a guide of internet explorer defaults (Manually so you don't change anything else)

If link is needed, please comment and I will dig up from my links a guide which shows SS's on this!