OMG The new serenity firefly map for JKA is...

Holy moly it's like a new map! Thanks for that, one more question: Is there anyway to add a realistic spaceship sheen (env map) to the shader without it looking false. All the env maps ive used for my other textures look so bad I've been forced to use them on small brushes.

Holy moly it's like a new map! Thanks for that, one more question: Is there anyway to add a realistic spaceship sheen (env map) to the shader without it looking false. All the env maps ive used for my other textures look so bad I've been forced to use them on small brushes.

The way to make it look best is going to be a little more painstaking. Some of the materials on Serenity are a little more matte, so using a weak env map on those parts will help tremendously.

As for the parts that offer a good deal of reflection, it would be best to take a reflective water approach and get rough 90 degree shots of the space inside your skybox, combining them into one env map image and weakening it. That way you sort of get a good spacey reflection. Will look great if you have a faux sun, space debris etc... floating around. Depending on the complexity of the space, you may have to clone off shaders for each side. It will be a little expensive shader memory wise, but shouldn't break the bank.

Great, something to work on when I get back then! There's a reflective water tutorial out there I gather although it doesn't sound that complicated. Do you know of any maps that use a similar technique that I can download for reference?

• 1 month later...