CUSTOM SKEL NPC: AT-ST

The Normal maps display correctly in every program I looked at them sofar aswell as the mesh normals, the only thing thats off is the strange lighting bug which only appears in Jedi Academys multiplayer, base JA and OpenJk, while it's lit correctly in Jedi Academys Singleplayer. So I guess there must be a difference in how the renderer renders models in jasp & jamp

I also just got around to updating the sketchfab link to this model to display diffuse, normal and spec so that also points toward JA being the problem.

Check first post guys if you wanna look at it.

Also managed to break my rig (can reset to base pose so don't worry) so this needs to be addressed since it can cause problems when animating.

I had a quick look at AT-ST_static in OpenJK MP, with the default renderer. I don't see any problems with it in MP. Can you make a screenshot of the ATST in SP and MP with roughly the same lighting conditions?

Nevermind, I see the problem now :P

Strange - now I too have the same wierd lit from back thing in both , SP and MP

39T7tYil.jpgwf9kCkll.jpg

as you can see both AT-ST's are lit stronger from their backside even though their alignment in the world is completely different and this doesn't match the direction the sun light in that area is coming from in any way , they are also completely uneffected by any other light sources in the map nor the lightsaber's dynamic light which is pretty odd, in my opinion

z3filus likes this

There's definitely nothing like fake light coming from the players view :P I did notice the model disappears when you don't look at it face on (that is, if you have it at the side of the screen). I'm not sure how you define the bounding box for glm models not where they are read from in the game.

The bounding boxes are sh!t. I remember struggling with that Kryat dragon for JKG a while back, it only wanted to do a wide & height so it sucks for models with a rectangle kind of body. We need better collision, ie using the last LOD (not the lowest LOD as even it can be simplified further for collision only).

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, it will be a direct replacement that completely over writes the base one rather than working side by side with it. All file paths will be identical but texture names will vary. Animations will be new as well, just recently had to add more controls to the rig for the head and neck. I was so focused on making the legs work properly that I kinda forgot completely about the neck and head.

We're only making vehicles that appeared in the original DF2 game, so no new swoop, falcon or x-wing.

Well that model still needs UV's first, I don't wanna ask too much of him, he already did better than I could have hoped just with the AT-ST unless he can somehow be convinced to maybe join the team actively.

That scene is such a mess too right now, although the model is "made" everything needs to be properly grouped and checked over to make sure the model is efficient as far as vertex count.

Now that the mod seems to be back in progress I'm thinking of halting my DBZ marathon to work back on the things I've started.

The cycle isn't the hard part, it's getting a good stride and walk start from standing sequence, from there you just reverse the end pose and tweak hip movement to match and you have a finished cycle.

What I'm wondering is if I should make a real run cycle? If you look in the animation list it lists a walk and run cycle but the run cycle is really just the walk cycle which leads me to believe it's possible to have this thing actually run, not sure how that would look though.

Thoughts?

Well the thing is that considering a run animation line exists makes me believe the code supports a walker vehicle being able to run. They probably just reused the walk cycle because they didn't want it to run, if a AT-ST NPC ran in game it probably would kill you very easily, especially in JK2.