CUSTOM SKEL NPC: AT-ST

I haven't worked on the vehicle side of things, seems like that part needs work to function right, at least in JA. The coding in JOSP was different on how the AT-ST was used as a vehicle. That code needs to be ported to JOMP as well as both JA engines.

Right now I'm just focusing on how it works as a NPC which right now is pretty much perfect, at some point all record me playing through Artus Topside so you can see it in action.

...I added another LOD, there are now 3 levels and that includes the high resolution model. Did them all manually rather than using a poly reduction tool since those things really mess up topology.

Probably a bit too soon, but do you have any comparison photos of the high resolution model on Artus Topside vs the low-quality vanilla AT-ST?

@@Kessno, how's this for now? I'll record a video sometime soon in game.

Thanks @@minilogoguy18, that really looks fantastic! It's amazing how low-poly the vanilla model actually is, especially around the head/joint areas. Will look forward to the video footage of it in action. Once you complete/release this I'll have to do another play-through of Jedi Outcast using this model. Great work so far.

• 8 months later...

It is in game, been in game for a long time actually. Needs turning animations, even though they only work in openjk and it'll actually be done.

Was considering releasing this outside of the mod since no one is really working on it anymore. If there were more people using Softimage I'd even release the scene file as a learning tool and example but I don't think anyone would use it.

It is in game, been in game for a long time actually. Needs turning animations, even though they only work in openjk and it'll actually be done.

Was considering releasing this outside of the mod since no one is really working on it anymore. If there were more people using Softimage I'd even release the scene file as a learning tool and example but I don't think anyone would use it.

do it

It might also at least need some MP testing just to make sure everything works as a vehicle but in the campaign for JO and JA it works as a NPC. Map objects are also included, has sharers and LOD's. Most testing was done on the Artus Topside mission in JO, made sure it worked ok in JA by playing Hoth1.

Might have to give me some time since I'm super busy these days and my computer stays in sleep mode 95% of the time.

It might also at least need some MP testing just to make sure everything works as a vehicle but in the campaign for JO and JA it works as a NPC. Map objects are also included, has sharers and LOD's. Most testing was done on the Artus Topside mission in JO, made sure it worked ok in JA by playing Hoth1.

Might have to give me some time since I'm super busy these days and my computer stays in sleep mode 95% of the time.

As long as it guess out. That's all right with me.

• 1 month later...

Any news/progress?

Actually yes, I made both turning animations, just need to make a pain animation or 2 which should be quick then it's done. Made the 2 turning animations over the past few days and have them stored as action sources in the animation mixer along with all the other sequences. Made it this way so that the Mixer can be opened and you'll see all the sequences named as they will be in the animation.cfg file.

I was gonna just surprise release this probably tomorrow but since you asked I figured I'd let you know.

@@AshuraDX, since we're on opposite sides of the planet making catching you on steam chat difficult could I maybe send you the finished pk3 and you could maybe make it rend2 ready? I thought I had all the files needed but I guess I don't, I also don't have a way to test since I don't have OpenJK or Rend2.

Barricade24 likes this

Actually yes, I made both turning animations, just need to make a pain animation or 2 which should be quick then it's done. Made the 2 turning animations over the past few days and have them stored as action sources in the animation mixer along with all the other sequences. Made it this way so that the Mixer can be opened and you'll see all the sequences named as they will be in the animation.cfg file.

I was gonna just surprise release this probably tomorrow but since you asked I figured I'd let you know.

@@AshuraDX, since we're on opposite sides of the planet making catching you on steam chat difficult could I maybe send you the finished pk3 and you could maybe make it rend2 ready? I thought I had all the files needed but I guess I don't, I also don't have a way to test since I don't have OpenJK or Rend2.

Damn I ruined the surprise D:

Anyway, I can't wait to get my hands on that model!

Bek likes this

Well it originally wasn't going to be released outside of the mod but since it would be a great replacement over the base model I figured why not.

My main testing has been done in JK2 SP though as a fightable NPC which it works flawlessly, I should probably test it in JAMP as a vehicle.

@@eezstreet Are you sure? Looking in the JK2 assets I only see 1 .glm and .gla for the AT-ST, I've been testing it in the JK2 SP game but haven't gotten to the Yavin Swamp levels yet to try out the SP vehicle.

As far as NPC in SP goes it works fine in both games. Haven't had much testing as a vehicle though, just uses the base games .veh files.