CUSTOM SKEL NPC: AT-ST

NOTE: The JK2 AT-ST is different from the JKA AT-ST. In JK2, the "head" of the AT-ST can pivot independent of the legs on a specific bone. I can't remember the name of the bone, but it's apparently one which is near the waist of the player skeleton. I tried applying the ATST pivot code to the player and it sorta worked, there was just some minor animation issues.

NOTE: The JK2 AT-ST is different from the JKA AT-ST. In JK2, the "head" of the AT-ST can pivot independent of the legs on a specific bone. I can't remember the name of the bone, but it's apparently one which is near the waist of the player skeleton. I tried applying the ATST pivot code to the player and it sorta worked, there was just some minor animation issues.

@@eezstreet I didn't know this, thought they were the same. Are the skeletons different or is it just game code that is different because I built my skeleton identical to the base one from the source files but with my own shadow rig controlling it much like the _humanoid rig I released.

@@Grab, I have it at the point where it is ready to be animated, made a full rig (look a few pages back) so animations will be new so it's not even in game yet. I'm about to start animating it which is hard to say how long that will take since I'll probably post clips of it in Softimage for feedback on the animations snice the base ones weren't the best IMO.

DT85 likes this

Anyone with both games installed wanna post ModView pics of both AT-ST's skeletons to check? My folder structure is already set up to let this version overwrite the base one so extracting them out would kinda bork what I've got going on.

I'm assuming this is what you mean.

JK2:

ta5Xvp.png

JKA:

QgXbXG.png

minilogoguy18 likes this

shoutout to some people who might be able to help here : @@eezstreet @@Xycaleth @@DT85

Rend2 is giving me some funky results :

textures/models/atst/st_m
{
	q3map_nolightmap
    {
        map textures/models/atst/gray
        rgbGen vertexLit
    }
    {
	stage normalparallaxmap
        map  textures/models/atst/st_n
    }
    {
	stage specularMap
        map textures/models/atst/st_s
	specularReflectance 0.25
	gloss 0.1
    }
}

Ingame :

shot2014-08-08_04-40-18.jpg

This second shader , appears to work as it should ingame but sadly it looks like the model is allways lit from the same side , as If I baked a lightmap and put that on the model

textures/models/atst/st_c
{
	q3map_nolightmap
    {
	stage diffuseMap
        map textures/models/atst/gray
        blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
        rgbGen lightingDiffuse
    }
    {
	stage normalparallaxmap
        map  textures/models/atst/st_n
    }
    {
	stage specularMap
        map textures/models/atst/st_s
	specularReflectance 0.25
	gloss 0.1
    }
}

As you can see it's allways only the back side of the model that is lit , I tried r_forcesun 2 and it had absolutely no effect on the model

shot2014-08-08_04-37-33.jpg

EDIT : the lighting issue also appears with the vanilla renderer - no clue what's going wrong here

Try this:

models/players/<blah>/<blah>
{
    {
        map models/players/<blah>/<blah>.jpg
        rgbGen lightingdiffuseEntity
    }
    {
        stage normalmap
    }
    {
        stage specularmap
        specularReflectance 0.5
        specularExponent 16
    }
}

It's different for Ghoul2 models.

When normal maps display correctly in one package and are broken in another it's usually a shader issue or flipped channels. 3D studio max can't even display its own maps correctly because it has a "broken" or poorly written shader.

If you have an asset that displays correctly in JA, compare all the channels with your normal map and make sure they're matching the orientation (red and blue channels can also be inverted depending on bake settings). Also, JA's player models have a tendency to be lit from the back more than in the front, not sure why that is, but it could be a contributing factor. What happens if you rotate the AT-ST around before exporting? does the new back (the front) look correct? If so, then your normals are fine and the shader or the engine is breaking something.