CUSTOM SKEL NPC: AT-ST

• 4 months later...

Shameless Doubleposting to bring you an update

YgjFPYp.png

Finished the top of the cabin and got some AO & curvature in the diffuse channel for now - will tackle the bottom tommorow , or actually today , afternoon.

Please note that the AO bake has some errors due to mirroring and such I didn't consider yet , so I got some cleaning up to do here and there

Would be cool to see a finished rend2 in SP & MP so we can use such coolness. Would be sweet to see it in JO SP. :D

Side note:

I think the original one has the 'closed' and 'open' positions as 2 different surfaces which get toggled on/off via code. I seem to remember seeing this, but not 100% sure.

Archangel35757 likes this

Some of the cannons look a little off. I think the chin guns are a bit too big and the right side cannon doesn't look quite right either. It should have more of a blaster look. I don't know if model changes can be made at this point but I think some adjustments are necessary. Here is some reference that might help. If you can still make changes that is.

At-st_large_pic.jpg

I used an official blueprint as a rotoscope. If you just google AT-ST you'll see there are literally tons of iterations of this thing out there, there really isn't a right or wrong way to make it but I followed the blueprints as close as possible without cramming too much detail in there.

FHiOVHx.gif

It's a little far along to be making mesh changes, especially with how complex the UV layout is, I really crammed everything in there tight.

it's a change that could be applied while keeping 99% oft the UV layout the same though , you could even use the existing topology and just by shrinking/moving a few edgeloops get the suggested shape

then just relax the UV chunk for the blaster and voila - i'll only commit those changes if @@minilogoguy18 likes the idea

DT85 likes this

I think we should just leave it, it matches the blueprint so I'm fine with it and like I said, the AT-ST is different in nearly every image you find on the net, there is no right or wrong. I just followed an official blueprint at least so I'm definitely way closer than a lot of games out there and custom models from what I've googled.

Circa likes this

@@minilogoguy18 , mind if I add a few 4 sided wires to the mesh ?  I'll make sure that weighting them wont be too much work and they'll stay a sepperate object you can just import in your scene

skinning wires like this seriously doesn't look good . they'll total at around 8 wires some might be made as alpha mapped planes

Anyway here's the current update

YlHeuZD.pngD2KLfFU.png

IeUc0SE.png

EDIT : added the wires/tubes

jeic1wz.png

they currently use a single 128² texture and add 248 vertices to the model , including the 2 extra wires, not seen in this image, that are attached to the pilot cabin

DT85 and Boothand like this