Well from what I've viewed from a lot of your models is that they're usually pretty high poly because there will be so many wasted polygons

Nah I've cleaned it up quite a bit. I was still learning back then. hell I'm still learning now, but I know how to not waste tris XD You are welcome to poke around at any models if you'd like though and lend any assistance, I would be honored in fact. But have you seen the troopers?! That EVO to be around 3,300 tris or so is just a masterpiece for my standards dude. As well as the Jump. I waste nothing! lol Also, you and I have separate opinions as to what exactly is "wasted" sometimes.Meaning sometimes I would send people a model to proof read it, and they'd be like "alpha map this instead of modeling it in", or "texture this in instead of modeling it in", and it ends up saving maybe 10 tris and looks shit XD

Point being, If I keep all the players under 4000 tris or so I shouldn't have a problem you're saying? Because that is a huge wave of relief. Also, remember that that exterior piece I sent you was all screwy because I duplicated like everything while trying to do something I can't remember, but even that was just a huge brainfart, not shoddy modeling man. I se ewhat you are insinuating though and would love to throw you a model so you can show by example all of my wastedness =P

And about just editing base or HS not really what I was going for. I wanted my own wave of custom armor to go with the canonical accessories  So they still are recognizable as EVO's and Jump's, but with sleeker more iron-man/batman like armor. Matter of fact, I'll just post really nice wireframes of each real quick and we'll see where we stand with all this speech of epic wastedness and lay that shit to rest XD

Not just that but you have to add the _1, _2 and _3 to every part of that corresponding LOD, tags, caps, everything.

The rename script in Softimage's netview will help you change it since when I create LOD's I just duplicate stupidtriangle_off and everything under it but the conventional naming system will just add a number behind each copy so you'd want to say put 1 in the search box and _1 in the replace box. Make sure you check multiple matches and preview it before you go through with it.

ChalklYne likes this

Thank you. I will make sure they all have 4 LOD's then.. How far away are they when they hit LOD_4? So I know how much detail I can remove and kinda figure out the ones in between on my own from there? I've noticed deleting too much edges will ruin the uvmap so isn't there something like clusters I believe I can do to eliminate that issue?

Damn you @@Barricade24 24 and @@DT85...

damn you all.

After reading your crits and staring at my models over and fucking over I have come to realize that I need to do it exactly like the ref pics, and save my version of the "sleeker" armor for my own custom trooper. Damnitt. So there will be some significant changes here and there to the jump and evo. Know why? Because the jump and evotrooper, look cool =P Mine does as well, but in a different way and they should be kept seperate. 

lame

but I agree with you both now 100% and will focus more closely on the refs for these 2

fml

63r4.gif

I wanted to give him a chestplate kind of like war machine (without the arc reactor circle), but with really bright white lights on it, possible some lights up the back of the helmet and up the legs and arms and possibly do something like "flash trooper"

giving off the impression that it is meant to run in a room and stun everyone with kind of a built in flashbang. i dunno. still kickin around ideas

i also have a rough draft of an elite trooper i was working on of my own. built in flame throwers, blades, possibly nightmare trooper or something,,, heres an example

ol0k.png

but like i said still kicking around ideas for my custom trooper(s)

Omicron likes this

That's better now :). I'm waiting for good uvw for this Jumper.

I am open to any suggestions as to how everyone would like this cut to make it easier for reskinning. maybe just a quick overdraw on this pic with a few red lines as to where you would like it cut. Mainly the armor and stuff. i am pretty decent at unwrapping, but tend to not really take reskinning into account =/ Just something showing where you would like the seams on the armor for the most part. 

Also, a few questions. Is the breather tube on his chest supposed to be asymmetrical like in the ref pics?

I also just noticed the little armor band on the bottom of his right leg, I will add that in soon as well as the ammo packs on the hips.

Also, the straight lines on the front of the thigh armor, should I model those in? or leave it like the tfu model to be textured in later?

@@Barricade24 you're my trooper guy what do you say?

I am open to any suggestions as to how everyone would like this cut to make it easier for reskinning. maybe just a quick overdraw on this pic with a few red lines as to where you would like it cut. Mainly the armor and stuff. i am pretty decent at unwrapping, but tend to not really take reskinning into account =/ Just something showing where you would like the seams on the armor for the most part. 

Also, a few questions. Is the breather tube on his chest supposed to be asymmetrical like in the ref pics?

I also just noticed the little armor band on the bottom of his right leg, I will add that in soon as well as the ammo packs on the hips.

Also, the straight lines on the front of the thigh armor, should I model those in? or leave it like the tfu model to be textured in later?

@@Barricade24 you're my trooper guy what do you say?

It appears to me that the the staight lines on the front of the thigh are indeed modeled on, based on some of the ref shots I have. As far as the breathing tube goes, I can tell that it needs to be a little bit wider at this point. As far as symmetry goes, when he is in a position such as the one in the ref pics you added, the tube seems to be centered, but I am guessing due to the shape is when the Jump Trooper moves, the tube's symmetry becomes off because it isn't in a centered position, if that makes since at all. In terms of reskinning, all I really ask is this...please--no mirrored textures. Unless it is something not noticable like the bottom of the shoes.

New model is looking great by the way. I've been away for awhile so I haven't seen any updates for quite some time.

ChalklYne likes this