Gauging Interest (Opinions Needed)

22 members have voted

1. 1. Like the idea of contests?

• Yes, and I would enter when possible.
    • Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. Like the idea of the awards system?

3. 3. Add a "Mod Specific" category to tutorials?

4. 4. Tutorial Days, good idea?

Of course there is no position - I'm not that gullible. I've been around long enough on the ESL and in various clans to know exactly what bullshit smells like. All that talk about wanting to increase the staff with people from the competitive community to diversify the skillset of the admins and make it possible to organize larger, more intricate events is just empty PR. All the arguments as to why this place has merely become a modder's haven center around the staff's lack of expertise, but when it comes to ameliorating the problem, there are no more open positions - as if that's how picking staff was handled so far. After all, we have quite a lot of staff, and yet the only advertised position in the history of jkhub was that for the site technician, which @@SiLink used to blame people from the competitive community for not applying!

Easier said than done, we advertise for staff positions and (As far as I know, I could be wrong) we rarely get any applications from those who are more fans of the competitive side of the game.

This is quite alienating. What's going on? And now you claim we don't actually need to be on the staff to realize some of those larger projects, or well, at least the interviews, since tournaments with awards, news posts and what have you were not addressed; but regardless, all of that just seemingly has to go through middlemen that neither have the expertise nor (apparently) the interest to support those measures. As Afinity said:

I offered my help more than once when JKHub came out but the interest was obviously not really high.

We should all know how difficult and frustrating it is to work with unsupportive staff - why should things have changed now? Especially after all the PR just a second ago, I'm having a bit of a trust issue here that I'm sure many people will understand.

afi likes this

There have been a few opportunities to apply for staff in the past. Three times in fact. All were advertised. The site technician one was the only that was specific, and wasn't a moderator position. We could do something similar for you, but there there's not really a point. You don't need admin powers to do this stuff. 

And yes, we are trying to accommodate you guys here Ping.

Of course there is no position - I'm not that gullible. I've been around long enough on the ESL and in various clans to know exactly what bullshit smells like. All that talk about wanting to increase the staff with people from the competitive community to diversify the skillset of the admins and make it possible to organize larger, more intricate events is just empty PR. All the arguments as to why this place has merely become a modder's haven center around the staff's lack of expertise, but when it comes to ameliorating the problem, there are no more open positions - as if that's how picking staff was handled so far. After all, we have quite a lot of staff, and yet the only advertised position in the history of jkhub was that for the site technician, which @@SiLink used to blame people from the competitive community for not applying!

Whoever told you there was? lol... Furthermore, how do you justify your aggressive and argumentative stance on the issue when they are obviously willing to listen to your suggestions and try to accommodate you? Perhaps stop behaving like an ape.

This is quite alienating. What's going on? And now you claim we don't actually need to be on the staff to realize some of those larger projects, or well, at least the interviews, since tournaments with awards, news posts and what have you were not addressed; but regardless, all of that just seemingly has to go through middlemen that neither have the expertise nor (apparently) the interest to support those measures.

Do explain why you need admin on an IP.Board in order to organize anything. Iterating that you are some sort of victim of prejudice or exclusion because you are a "competitive player" is literally one of the silliest things I've ever seen here. That's saying a lot considering that Ory'Hara slams his face on the keyboard and presses post all most all the time.

We should all know how difficult and frustrating it is to work with unsupportive staff - why should things have changed now? Especially after all the PR just a second ago, I'm having a bit of a trust issue here that I'm sure many people will understand.

Once again, they are clearly asking for your suggestions. I don't think you've listened to the other half of the conversation you are participating in.

Also, you keep using the term "PR".

tumblr_lwru33NE821r803nno1_500.jpg

Circa likes this

As far as contests, I'm interested.  The rest, maybe not.

Awards:  I don't really care either way, but when forced to pick yes or no, I'm saying no.

Tutorials:  There are some sections that are lacking (like modeling), and other people are going to be looking for help with different things, but I'm not sure you could *get* 10 people to write a different tutorial each.  Heck, I can't even come up with 10 topics that need a tutorial.  As for mod specific stuff, I've usually found other clan wikis with the info I needed.  Maybe it'd work to have it here as well, though I'm not all that crazy about the idea.

I've also never really thought about competitive players and this site.  I mean, most of what I see on the Forum page is modding related, so that's what I've come to associate this place with.  I like it that way, but I wasn't hanging out here when it first came up, so I don't know if it was intended to be as focused on modding or not.

@@MoonDog: Ok let me try to clarify: At first the argument was that jkhub didn't cater to anything but modders because of the staff, since the staff didn't have enough expertise to be good at doing competitive events and whatnot. So it was suggested that the staff be increased with people who have that expertise, which was agreed to have been a good idea, except that it was argued that the people with that expertise were not forthcoming enough by not applying for advertised positions (which don't exist) or putting people forward to be on the staff (which I did, but it was shot down). So then the argument was that you didn't need a staff position at all anymore, but that merely working with the staff was sufficient; this is fair enough, but the staff used to be unsupportive in the past, and when I asked about hosting a tournament to cater to competitive players, I was told to merely post it in the events sub-forum. This isn't very encouraging.

So to your points: Is the staff necessary? I guess not, except for doing all the things normal users can't: making news posts, posting interviews, sending out newsletters, restructuring the forums and so on. Am I a victim of prejudice or exclusion? Of course not, but even though interest in catering to competitive players has spiked now (due to complaints), I'm not sure for how long it will remain there before it returns to its original low. Do I know what PR means? I used the term here to refer to the act of maintaining a positive image by an organization. Of course the term is in some way misplaced, but there's no need to be a dick about it.

EDIT: Despite the rather large dose of mostly unnecessary drama, I'm willing to put this to rest now and at least give the interviews a shot. I have a few people in mind and will brainstorm some questions today. The other projects, like a demo archive or doing something with videos etc, are a bit more complex, so it's probably better to discuss them in a separate thread or over PMs.

Edited by Ping

@@MoonDog: Ok let me try to clarify: At first the argument was that jkhub didn't cater to anything but modders because of the staff, since the staff didn't have enough expertise to be good at doing competitive events and whatnot. So it was suggested that the staff be increased with people who have that expertise, which was agreed to have been a good idea, except that it was argued that the people with that expertise were not forthcoming enough by not applying for advertised positions (which don't exist) or putting people forward to be on the staff (which I did, but it was shot down). So then the argument was that you didn't need a staff position at all anymore, but that merely working with the staff was sufficient; this is fair enough, but the staff used to be unsupportive in the past, and when I asked about hosting a tournament to cater to competitive players, I was told to merely post it in the events sub-forum. This isn't very encouraging.

So to your points: Is the staff necessary? I guess not, except for doing all the things normal users can't: making news posts, posting interviews, sending out newsletters, restructuring the forums and so on. Am I a victim of prejudice or exclusion? Of course not, but even though interest in catering to competitive players has spiked now (due to complaints), I'm not sure for how long it will remain there before it returns to its original low. Do I know what PR means? I used the term here to refer to the act of maintaining a positive image by an organization. Of course the term is in some way misplaced, but there's no need to be a dick about it.

EDIT: Despite the rather large dose of mostly unnecessary drama, I'm willing to put this to rest now and at least give the interviews a shot. I have a few people in mind and will brainstorm some questions today. The other projects, like a demo archive or doing something with videos etc, are a bit more complex, so it's probably better to discuss them in a separate thread or over PMs.

http://jkhub.org/topic/3027-site-technician/

http://jkhub.org/topic/981-jkhub-looking-for-more-staff

There seem to have been other threads that were deleted e.g. when Fighter, Milamber, Circa etc applied. I wasn't around here when those took place so they'd have to explain that :P

The great thing is, if you actually wish to help then you can simply just talk to a staff member or apply for a staff position any way. This isn't written anywhere (As I assume will be your next comment) however the point is, if you feel the community could benefit from your assistance or if you feel the staff is lacking in areas you could put a case forward much like you would if you walked into a store and gave them your CV/Résumé when job hunting.

I suggested earlier on in this thread that you simply prove yourself before we give you any form of power on this site. Quite frankly your focus to criticize us and accuse us of bullshitting you whilst we are trying our best to brainstorm ideas with you is a bit troubling, we all work with each other in order to better to the community as a whole. There is a very big difference in criticism that is meant to further progress and criticism that is built from the get go to rattle cages.

We are really trying here to potentially improve JKHub and bring in a whole other side to the community that perhaps could benefit from our website if we gave them a reason to visit and I hope you can contribute to this as I feel you probably could be a big part of that... we're not using you, we're simply asking for your help and all you seem focused on is becoming a member of staff in order to do this which is absolutely not the case as we could give you the permissions to the areas you need in order to do your role... Being a member of staff brings all the other responsibilities that have no relation to what you've said you'll do in this thread.

when I asked about hosting a tournament to cater to competitive players, I was told to merely post it in the events sub-forum. This isn't very encouraging.

This is taken completely out of context and quoted incorrectly... This is what I said:

You are more than welcome to advertise your CTF tournaments/sabering in our Events area, I haven't seen many competitive advertisements around here. 

As you can see, I was trying to encourage you to advertise your competitive events on JKHub so that you could generate some interest. In what way isn't this encouraging? We're giving you a place to advertise events >_>

As I said, it's a good idea to prove yourself capable of doing these things before we go any further. My agenda here is to help JKHub grow whilst making it a fun experience for all of its users, I hope you share that desire and that we can work together for the greater good of the community. 

Circa, therfiles and h643 like this