Gauging Interest (Opinions Needed)

22 members have voted

1. 1. Like the idea of contests?

• Yes, and I would enter when possible.
    • Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. Like the idea of the awards system?

3. 3. Add a "Mod Specific" category to tutorials?

4. 4. Tutorial Days, good idea?

Contests - I have a feeling that these will too specific to sections. Ping kinda alludes to this. There isn't one area that everyone in the community could fairly contribute to. Coders generally can't make art well (vice versa) and modders can't compete ingame well (vice versa). Speaking of code...how would you even do a contest based on this? That automatically constrains it to art and competition, neither of which I'm particularly good at (and I'm sure there's plenty of others with this problem).

Tutorial Days - WTF is there to write tutorials about anyway, besides code crap? And really, code crap like that is highly specific. Might as well make a tutorial on modeling Obi Wan Kenobi. :/ Other than that, I literally have no idea what you'd even write a tutorial for. Other than sound, maybe?

These are good points. Instead of contests, with various flavors that would be hard to adequately judge, you could do more community events. I mean like the Secret Santa, or the White Elephant. Just on a less complicated scale, with 30 days forewarning. How you would include competitive players in this, I do not know.

There are a great number of things that tutorials could be written about, but maybe not JK specific. For instance, some one may know some very handy tricks in Photoshop, then again that software is expensive and a very specific skill set.

Another question. Its one thing to pitch a bunch of ideas and get excited about them, but does the staff currently have the energy and motivation to WANT to see them through? I'm just saying, I know what that is like from a personal perspective. Don't mean that as an attack.

@@therfiles, you should probably hire someone who's knowledgeable in the field. That might help.

But we can only hire someone if they show interest, our lack of experience in this field means that we can't simply just go out and look for someone or make content to bring them in, we'd do a very poor job at it for the reason I just said. It's a bit of a vicious cycle, and I've so far heard a lot of solutions but no way of showing how we'd go about executing them logically. I myself would love to get more competitive players here and to have staff dedicated to that, I made it a priority back when I was a staff a year and a half ago but there just didn't seem to be much interest (Which I agree, we must generate, but it goes back in circles again). I must say though that @ did help a lot if I remember correctly, but it required/requires now someone dedicated to that position who can supply a constant stream of content to bring in more people.

Circa likes this

Another question. Its one thing to pitch a bunch of ideas and get excited about them, but does the staff currently have the energy and motivation to WANT to see them through? I'm just saying, I know what that is like from a personal perspective. Don't mean that as an attack.

Good point. These ideas aren't necessarily going to all be implemented at once. That would be a disaster. We're trying to find new ways to involve the community, one idea at a time. This thread (and a few others that have been made) is to get some feed back on some of the ideas we had. With that said, we discuss everything internally before going to the public.

Some of the more artistic things you can't really teach, you can give help on a more efficient workflow but being a good artist isn't something that is so easily taught. It's the reason why I never made a tutorial on modeling or animation, just how to make them work in game. Most aspects of all the major 3d, 2d and mapping software are already all over the internet, people are just too lazy to google or too shy to post a thread asking how to do something.

BTW eez, I think I'm one of the few modders who can be a very competitive player in no force duel matches using only medium style single saber and no special moves. ;)

If there were a JKHub duel server I'd be on it quite often.

Link and Circa like this

Iconically.

@@SiLink:

I really don't know, we want to add these demo-replays to the competitive play - wiki. I'm not sure if people would actually visit JKHub for them though.

I think it would need several aspects to get those players to the JKHub. Which are files (demos, configs, movies), maybe interviews + newsletter (in case there's actually still something interesting to report :P) and events. And a server would help as well obviously.

I really don't know if it's not a bit too late now considering the overall population of ESL, MBII, CTF etc. I mean, if you would get all the (active/semi-active) ESL players to the JKHub this place would be full with players... You would really need to get a reason for them to stay though...

The reason why I signed up to the JKHub were 1. Trying to get more comp players to the Hub 2. Cause I'm also a modder. Most comp players are no modders and don't give a shit about anything else than the ESL.

Also, everything I'm suggesting here are suggestions based on my experience as an ESL and MBII player/admin. I don't really have a clue about the CTF - and the JA+ - community/clanscene.

Out of curiosity, if we purchased IP.Gallery and had an area for competitive matches, would that be well received?

Also, this would replace the featured picture with a better interface and experience. It would also allow videos as well.

Awards System

One way to reward people for their contributions could be to give out awards for certain things. We could use the following addon to our site:

Awards could include
  • First tutorial
  • 10 Tutorials (Submitting 10 tutorials)
  • First file
  • 10 Files (Submitting 10 files)
  • Recognized JK Contributor (Could be made a thing, where people vote once a month for someone to be given the award perhaps)
  • Wiki contributor (25-50 Articles/Pages)
  • Staff/Former Staff
  • Donor (For those who donate 5 dollars or more perhaps)

And so on.

I didn't read enough to see if this has been decided against, but I can tell you from using that plugin first hand, that it is incredibly broken.  Firstly, it doesn't register tutorials or wiki's, so you would have to manually monitor each user and give them the award by hand.

Also, the system is not capable of grandfathering in anything, so if you have users who already met your file submission numbers, you would have to go back and give them the awards manually.  Also, there really doesn't appear to be any active updates or useful support for it anymore either.

I've looked and to my knowledge, this is the best "awards" system for IP.Board, and it is not really worth the money.

Link likes this

@@SiLink: I've done the demos part on the wiki article. You could, however, try to host an independent archive for demos, a bit like what basejka.com was trying to do. It proved to be rather popular with a lot of players. Movies are easy enough to get, since they're all on youtube, although just a handful deserve attention. Interviews are more tricky, since most of the more interesting people are not around anymore, but it should be fine. Besides that, tournaments should not be overlooked, and the forums adjusted. 

@minilogoguy18: Totally off topic, but this isn't just about damage.

Hmm, perhaps you/others could give me a list of people to contact with whom you might find interesting to interview? My knowledge of the competitive side of the game is very small, even the questions would have to come from elsewhere as I would be arrogant to think I know the community/person well enough. This is why I'm asking for others to step forward and take on this role, I would do this if nobody else volunteers but it would be better off with someone experienced in this field. 

If you want us to point you towards the people and write you the questions, wouldn't it be much easier (and way more appropriate) to have us be in charge of the entire thing then?

That's what I've been asking for :P we need the right people for the job to step forward and take on this role, nobody in our staff as far as I'm aware knows the competitive community well enough so we'd gladly look elsewhere for help.

Just as interested as we are in JK3, but unfortunately the community in JK2 is a lot smaller and it's difficult to get much content as regular.

Where can I send my CV?

I think the best way would be to demonstrate you can provide this content we spoke about above, if you can then I can't imagine any one arguing about you being a reporter for JKHub :P 

In terms of demos/videos, where would you suggest a good place to look?

Where do I apply for a staff position? Give me a straight answer please.

You don't need to be staff to do that stuff. You can write up articles, interviews, and do all the other things as a member. You can send it to us, and we can post it, or approve it to be posted. There's a way to change the author of a news article. I just made sure it's possible to change it to a normal member, and it is. Anyone can do this, not just Ping.