Unofficial Community Patch?

Also...wow! I didn't mean to start some kind of war here! I was just confused as to why in the 2 years since the source was released we hadn't seen a community patch. @.@

Meh not a war. I just want to get the point across that if people are satisified with one anwser they got and just QUIT on the subject because of it you may never know what would happen if you push it. LucasArts even said part of the reason they released the sourcecode was because the community bugged them for it since 2003. We have tried what, like once to ask about assets? 

The EULA you agreed to when installing Jedi Outcast and/or Jedi Academy prohibits you from doing so and releasing it with a game that isn't one of those (distribution).  The same thing applies to most games, including the game where the engine came from Q3.

Technically also using the original mod SDK with the now open source engine is forbidden too.

Raven can't and won't do anything really, they'll forward you to Disney who will in all likelihood say no as they have with some other non official star wars stuff now.

He designs levels. Jesus man, he must know everything about the company :<.

Yeah. Because you know, he speaks to lead designers, contacts from other studios involved in projects, and he also...y'know...works there? Working in IT, somehow I doubt my boss is going to be okay with me sharing passwords with everyone. I can kinda guess what his intentions are. I'm willing to bet that @@MoonDog can judge what's going on the same way.

I REALLY am not trying to come off as a huge douche here (already failed) but ravensoft is published by whom? Activision. 2/3 people I talked to were from Activision. Being a level designer for Ravensoft does not come with every know-how of what you may or not do on a game made in 2003. I would really love to see some people go out and start ASKING about this instead of saying 'NOPE I KNOW U CANT CAUSE I WORK THERE' or 'NOPE CANT BE DONE CAUSE THE ONE EMAIL I GOT SAID NO'.

Really? Because you said earlier that you were speaking to people from Raven Software..

Why don't you ask instead of saying you did but providing no names or any information. [citation needed]

Who KNOWS. MAYBE Ravensoft would give the community the right to edit the assets if people bug them like people bugged LucasArts for the source code since 2003. If someone had asked LA about it and they had said one time 'no' and NOONE had ever tried again then we wouldnt have the source right now.

We've been editing the assets for years...you should really pay attention to what I've been saying. I've been saying DISTRIBUTION. Not editing. Distribution of game assets with modified binaries..which is, y'know, prohibited in the EULA.

I REALLY am not trying to come off as a huge douche here (already failed) but ravensoft is published by whom? Activision. 2/3 people I talked to were from Activision. Being a level designer for Ravensoft does not come with every know-how of what you may or not do on a game made in 2003. I would really love to see some people go out and start ASKING about this instead of saying 'NOPE I KNOW U CANT CAUSE I WORK THERE' or 'NOPE CANT BE DONE CAUSE THE ONE EMAIL I GOT SAID NO'. 

Who KNOWS. MAYBE Ravensoft would give the community the right to edit the assets if people bug them like people bugged LucasArts for the source code since 2003. If someone had asked LA about it and they had said one time 'no' and NOONE had ever tried again then we wouldnt have the source right now. 

When did I ever claim you could or could not do something because of where I work? Also, please indicate where I ever said I recieved an email that says, "NO". You seem to have a habit of fabricating quotes from supposed Raven employees, so if you need to do so please take your time. I'll wait.

But you are right. I definitely NEVER went around talking to people about the game I was passionate about and got me into modding. I would NEVER do that.

Also...wow! I didn't mean to start some kind of war here! I was just confused as to why in the 2 years since the source was released we hadn't seen a community patch. @.@

No war really. I didn't see anything too provocative until about post #13. I'm sure you can find quite a lot of people that agree with your points, but I have a feeling you are going to have more to say after you've looked a bit more at OpenJK to see what they've already done.

Some very talented guys are contributing, and they have made a ton of progress.

Warlock likes this

@@Carbon, you seem to be exaggerating here. MoonDog (and everyone else) was just wanting to know who you talked to at Raven. It's not like everyone here has such connections, at least with Raven employees that are important enough to make such a call.

There's no need for people to get so upset and take things as personal attacks. I guarantee that no one here was intending for such a thing.

No war really. I didn't see anything too provocative until about post #13. I'm sure you can find quite a lot of people that agree with your points, but I have a feeling you are going to have more to say after you've looked a bit more at OpenJK to see what they've already done.

Some very talented guys are contributing, and they have made a ton of progress.

Yeah, and I also just spent the last hour or so chatting with them. Very nice people.

I think I got confused because I remember OJP back in the day, and thought this was that.  xD

Yeah, and I also just spent the last hour or so chatting with them. Very nice people.

I think I got confused because I remember OJP back in the day, and thought this was that.  xD

Fair enough.

@@Carbon, you seem to be exaggerating here. MoonDog (and everyone else) was just wanting to know who you talked to at Raven. It's not like everyone here has such connections, at least with Raven employees that are important enough to make such a call.

There's no need for people to get so upset and take things as personal attacks. I guarantee that no one here was intending for such a thing.

I do find it unlikely that a quote like that would be freely given without specific constraints that it should not be shared, or voiced as an opinion regarding the views of Raven and or Activision. People just aren't that flippant with their careers. I never discuss anything specifically restricted under an NDA that may or may not exist, nor would I candidly discuss anything I was not sure about legally with someone unless I trusted them implicitly to not  repeat me in a quote on a public forum.

As Carbon so respectfully pointed out, I'm not a long time gaming industry veteran. Yet I have the common sense to act in the manner I previously mentioned. Surely a person with a vast repertoire of experience wouldn't volunteer stupid information in such a candid manner.

Circa, eezstreet and Warlock like this

I do find it unlikely that a quote like that would be freely given without specific constraints that it should not be shared, or voiced as an opinion regarding the views of Raven and or Activision. People just aren't that flippant with their careers. I never discuss anything specifically restricted under an NDA that may or may not exist, nor would I candidly discuss anything I was not sure about legally with someone unless I trusted them implicitly to not  repeat me in a quote on a public forum.

I'm totally quoting your candid discussing of NDA disclosures and things you aren't sure legally about on a public forum.  Neener neener!

Don't open spoilers here. Got it.  ;)

Don't eat the bacon handouts either.

Also, Yes the things I was told MIGHT be wrong. However I am not going to give someone's name out to the public if they gave me a wrong answer to the questions I sent. People have families and friends and their own lives to attend to, and you never know how releasing someone's name like that might affect them (termination, trolling etc). So right now my answer of '2 people from Activision and one from Ravensoft' will have to do :<. 

The whole discussion about my 'candid discussion' is this, I did not release anyone's name. Noone will be in trouble for telling me what they did. I simply forwarded like, 1/5 of the conversations I have to show this community that maybe if the envlope is pushed something may happen. I feel as if I had released the persons name here that at THAT point things could turn sour. I kept his/her name out for a reason.

So you're being inconsistent again with the number of people and their place of employment again, I see. (Not to mention that your "1/5th" number doesn't even make any sense)

I'd rather wait until @@MoonDog or a trustworthy source within that company (a legal representative would do, not some random candid comment) says something definitive. Also I think Disney is probably who you should be dealing with, not Raven or Activision. The source only got released due to LA being dissolved and therefore nobody to question.

Don't eat the bacon handouts either.

Also, Yes the things I was told MIGHT be wrong. However I am not going to give someone's name out to the public if they gave me a wrong answer to the questions I sent. People have families and friends and their own lives to attend to, and you never know how releasing someone's name like that might affect them (termination, trolling etc). So right now my answer of '2 people from Activision and one from Ravensoft' will have to do :<. 

The whole discussion about my 'candid discussion' is this, I did not release anyone's name. Noone will be in trouble for telling me what they did. I simply forwarded like, 1/5 of the conversations I have to show this community that maybe if the envlope is pushed something may happen. I feel as if I had released the persons name here that at THAT point things could turn sour. I kept his/her name out for a reason.

Everyone at Raven is an Activision employee. It is simply a matter of who you talk to. The guy 3 rows down from my say he is an Activision employee to everyone who asks and he would not be wrong.

Even quoting without providing specific notation has repercussions with further communication, depending on who sees it and whether or not it can be proven to be some what true. If you work in the game industry as you claim, than you should know why.

My numbers have been consistant. One person from ravensoft, two from activision.....that hasn't chaged.

'I REALLY am not trying to come off as a huge douche here (already failed) but ravensoft is published by whom? Activision. 2/3 people I talked to were from Activision. Being a level designer for Ravensoft does not come with every know-how of what you may or not do on a game made in 2003'

Also moon, socom FTB got shut down like 2 years ago for the PSP. I never had a problem telling people my best guess on what I was asked even if it may be hindering to the point of a legal crisis. As long as you don't directly say 'yes' or 'no' and give people a means to figure it out through higher ups or asking others is never deemed bad. We aren't the CIA, people can say "Yes you should send our support team a message for 100% truth, here is MY best educated guess tho" which is what each person I talked to did. 

Cool. I love how you guys think 'there is one mindset of thinking and that's that'. It's not illegal to give people your best educated guess on something and then direct them in to a path that may better help them understand it. You are acting like these people telling me these things and me posting one quote is like, the end of the world. THAT is silly imo.

My educated guess: meth is legal because lots of people do it (inc. that guy from breaking bad, he's pretty kool) it's pretty expensive though

Actuality: it isn't.

Your educated guess: distributing assets is legal cuz this one dood (who could be fabricated for all we know, again there's absolutely ZERO evidence brought forth, no pictures, nothing) from a company who has no legal idea what to do says that its legal

Actuality: depends on what Disney says

and yes, you have been quite inconsistent. You claimed multiple sources from Raven but later said only one.

then again maybe I'm biased

Cool. I love how you guys think 'there is one mindset of thinking and that's that'. It's not illegal to give people your best educated guess on something and then direct them in to a path that may better help them understand it. You are acting like these people telling me these things and me posting one quote is like, the end of the world. THAT is silly imo.

I truly enjoy how you don't seem to understand the topics at hand, or fully appreciate the objects under contention. Furthermore, you went off on a tangent regarding things that weren't even under discussion.

I'd expect some one with a "195 IQ" to be much more able to assess the conversations themselves before pontificating randomly about things that no one was even discussing.

However, please feel free to continue displaying and attempting to hide your embarrassment at making a fool of yourself by being caught in a multitude of falsehoods. Mr Genius, I have a degree and get work in in gaming but I don't have a portfolio to show anything.

I truly enjoy how you don't seem to understand the topics at hand, or fully appreciate the objects under contention. Furthermore, you went off on a tangent regarding things that weren't even under discussion.

I'd expect some one with a "195 IQ" to be much more able to assess the conversations themselves before pontificating randomly about things that no one was even discussing.

However, please feel free to continue displaying and attempting to hide your embarrassment at making a fool of yourself by being caught in a multitude of falsehoods. Mr Genius, I have a degree and get work in in gaming but I don't have a portfolio to show anything.

I have quite an extensive portfolio, which is one of the reasons I now work for Sony and have been for two years.... Again I impress that your attitude of 'I know everything and I will condescend anyone who brings up a different view from my own' is just in your own words, silly. I choose to not show people like you my portfolio for reasons you MIGHT be able to comprehend if you ever worked for people who wanted to steal your work. 

The fact that you said 'I'm leaving this conversation' then jumped RIGHT back on it to try to further your point along with downgrading my abilities and intellect shows how senile you can really be man. An IQ is only a number, the fact that you bring that up here of all places shows you don't have any intention to listen to any idea you may disagree with. I can barely see how someone like that works for a company like RavenSoft. Kinda sad tbh as you were one of my first inspirations to start modding. 

The difference between you and I is I don't use my portfolio as grounds to condescend others.

I have quite an extensive portfolio, which is one of the reasons I now work for Sony and have been for two years.... Again I impress that your attitude of 'I know everything and I will condescend anyone who brings up a different view from my own' is just in your own words, silly. I choose to not show people like you my portfolio for reasons you MIGHT be able to comprehend if you ever worked for people who wanted to steal your work. 

The fact that you said 'I'm leaving this conversation' then jumped RIGHT back on it to try to further your point along with downgrading my abilities and intellect shows how senile you can really be man. An IQ is only a number, the fact that you bring that up here of all places shows you don't have any intention to listen to any idea you may disagree with. I can barely see how someone like that works for a company like RavenSoft. Kinda sad tbh as you were one of my first inspirations to start modding. 

The difference between you and I is I don't use my portfolio as grounds to condescend others.

You sure do pull a great deal of meaning that was never even remotely implied when I responded with one sentence.

Really? Please enlighten me as to who told you that and I'll ask them directly on Monday.

I was expressing incredulity that the quote was even remotely real. If it was real, than my question had the dual purpose of attaining the persons name so I could simply discuss their point of view about the matter personally. Which you could of chosen simply to not respond to, or even send me a personal message with requested information.

Instead, you chose to step through the door of ignorance and arrogance by expressing the following.

I am not going to entertain your ego on this one. I will say, however, that this is exactly the type of attitude that I am talking about. "I know everything and more than you so don't try to act like you are on MY level". 

I really am waiting for a reply now "I TALKED TO THIS ONE DUDE I KNOW FROM RAVENSOFT I TALKED TO ONCE AND HE SAID UR WRONG SO STFU"

lol.

But shit, it's moondog. He MUST have talked to every single member of the ravensoft team already to derive his opinions of this topic.

I did not directly insult you, or assert that I knew more than you. Out of shear ignorance you continued to engage into this discourse of stupidity, to which I chose not to directly respond because you are clearly an idiot.

He actually devoleps games for them? He like sits at their HQ and works for the compny? I worked for the company that made Socom Fireteam Bravo 1 and 2, doesn't mean I knew everything about the company or their intentions. Also one of the people I talked to was from Activision, does he work for them too?

http://www.ravensoftware.com/careers/job-listing/ <- I could apply for 2 positions right now that I am over qualified for with my masters, doesn't mean I would say I work for Ravensoft, thats called a sub-contract :<

Without even having had responded to you, you continued to shift focus off yourself by using me as a target of your defensively caustic bullshit. Asserting that your own experience trumps anything I could possibly say.

Please, by all means show me your extensive portfolio and I will immediately give you my personal and sincere apology for questioning the validity of your claims.

I deigned to respond because your moronic rambling is starting to aggravate me. Not sure what senility has to do with this conversation at all. Additionally, I brought up your IQ simply to mock you, seeing as you think its a talking point when introducing yourself. Who condescends to who? Come on now.

Alright so I will make this easy to follow and as informative as possible!

Real Life About Me

I am 20 years old, birthday is April 30th 1992. I am graduated and happily engaged with a fiance and kid on the way. I have a 195 IQ and graduated with a 4.3 GPA (i act retarded on game because IRL I have to be strict at my job and like to feel free on JKA). I have a dog (german shepard/wolf hybrid) that I love to death. I currently live at my parent's house

I can barely see how someone like that works for a company like RavenSoft. Kinda sad tbh as you were one of my first inspirations to start modding.

Hard work. I earned it. Yes, I recall you asking me questions about entity modding. Which means I can classify you as one of the idiots who tries to remain civil with me as long as you need something. Like help or assets.

Please, point me to a single situation in which I have EVER linked anyone my portfolio as a means of gaining a point in an argument. I'll expand if you like. Please show me any place on the internet at all, (ANY WHERE YOU CAN THINK OF) that I've ever even linked my portfolio to some one in an attempt to contrast my work against there's as a form of criticism.

Darth_Bothersome likes this

A bit impromptu, half asleep in Calculus class.

- You work in concept art, yes? Perhaps you ought to use a mighty medieval tool called a signature. Slap that shit on there and copyright claim the haters. (No literally, this shit has existed since medieval times!)

- You have a high IQ, yes? Perhaps then you might understand what senility is.

- Why is he suddenly invalid to work at Raven? Because he disagrees with you? I don't follow.

- You say IQ is just a number yet flaunt it in that thread.