What do you want to learn in 2014?

Circa

What do you want to learn in 2014?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. What type of modding do you want to learn?

• Mapping/Level Design
    • Scripting
    • Coding
    • Texturing
    • Modeling
    • Shaders
    • General Modding (Beginning Modders)
    • None (Explain below)

Hell, where I come from (competitive base-JA) "Modder" is meant as an insult for people who can't play the base game.

That would be an accurate description for me XD I am officially a "Modder" rofl. Catch me in a saber duel there is going to be some chalky body parts scattered

I can't speak for all players, but all the base players I know don't give a f*ck about mods and modders. The only mods most people I know have played on are servers with crash-protection even though those are not very popular cause they are known for having differences in saber-blocking (even though people are arguing whether that's true or not).

What I want to say is: You modding-people (and yes, I created mods as well in the past) seem to live in your own world.

This is a modding community? For who? Not for those people I've played with in the last 10 years. In my opinion JKHub missed the chance to gather all players of this game and instead you catered to the modding-community cause this page was obviously created by people from the modding-community. When JKHub was created it was advertised to be a central place for all players and I offered my help several times to help to include the competetive community in JkHub (and even advertised on the ESL page for JkHub when I was still ESL-admin). But in the end it didn't work out cause JKHub has nothing what competitive/clan-players want. ESL players stay on the ESL-forums, MBII-players stay on the MBII-forums and modding people stay on JKHub.

Your (most JkHub users) arguments are always the arguments of modding-people who don't know much about the actual players and their needs. Do you guys actually realise that there is a world outside of modding and that this game is actually being played? A huge amount of Jedi Knight - players were never a part of any kind of modding community and don't want to have anything to do with it. Hell, where I come from (competitive base-JA) "Modder" is meant as an insult for people who can't play the base game.

So what do you want us to do about it?

It's a modding community for modders that have been modding the games since it's release. That was jk2files and FileFront's purpose as well. You're saying we live in our own little world, but there are many people on here that still play and mod at the same time. I still play occasionally, and I only play base when I can help it. And clearly the "players" stay in their own community as well, as you just pointed out. 

My point is that I want to cater to the players as well, but am not really sure how to yet. Suggestions would be great.

ChalklYne likes this

Contests.. hosting symbols of the leading clans.. i personally do not know a thing about playing the game and would like to learn about clans, which ones are active, their purposes, and hear from the players who have been playing base so long and find out thier tactics and when upcoming matches are. maybe highlights of matches in video format? things like that would be cool 

@ is kinda right, modders (with some exceptions such as Raz0r, ent, etc) are in a completely different realm from the players. JKH wasn't ever meant to be about just the modders or just the players, that's why the bar shows clans on there too.

In my opinion, one way to alleviate this issue is to provide a better area for both parties to discuss things that aren't related to playing the game or modding it. This way, the community can come together and talk about different things and relate to each other.

Secondly, the JKH API has support for a one-click server-join. So instead of people browsing the server list, server owners could set their sv_master2 to point to JKHub's master server, and the site itself could be a server list. It's a great boon as it allows discussion to occur while waiting on servers to fill up, etc.

Third, well, I'm not totally sure. It's difficult in a situation like this to simply bring everyone from different circles together. The cultures behind Makermod, base/ESL, Siege, MB2, CTF, etc remains very different and it would be damn near impossible to put them all in one place.

h643 and Circa like this

We do have sections for general Jedi Knight talk and events and advertisement talk, and then the nonsense and off topic sections are fair game for anyone. What else could we have? A legit question. We are open to more ideas.

The API will help a lot, partnered with a JKHub server.

Well, one reason for people to hang out here are the file uploads. Competitive players care about demos and configs. The reason why JKHub has almost none of these files are

1. You're only allowed to upload your own files and let's face it. Most oldschool players won't start uploading their demos so other people can download them. Configs and demos was always something that people traded among each other.

2. It takes a lot of time to upload several files with the upload-system we have on JKHub. I've got 2000 configs and hundreds of demos that are worth to be uploaded. It would take months or even years to do so.

No judging, that's just a fact. And that's why people load their demos to places like http://www.mediafire.com/?brv1mutd43scl

Omicron and Ping like this

Well, one reason for people to hang out here are the file uploads. Competitive players care about demos and configs. The reason why JKHub has almost none of these files are

1. You're only allowed to upload your own files and let's face it. Most oldschool players won't start uploading their demos so other people can download them. Configs and demos was always something that people traded among each other.

2. It takes a lot of time to upload several files with the upload-system we have on JKHub. I've got 2000 configs and hundreds of demos that are worth to be uploaded. It would take months or even years to do so.

No judging, that's just a fact. And that's why people load their demos to places like http://www.mediafire.com/?brv1mutd43scl

1. Not true. You can upload others' files. This was recently added to the rules

2. That may be true, but it's because of the pages. If you want your files hosted in a folder style like that, we use Dropbox, and the JKHub file page can link to such a thing if you'd like. PM me to look into this further.

My main enjoyment is playing the game, but for me, mods make it and keep it interesting. I personally have zero, zilch, nada experience with modding/mapping/skinning. My preference is to leave modding to the experienced ones, and just to comment on their work and be part of these forums. I don't expect to post much, if at all to jkhub. That being said, I would really like to be able to skin well, if I ever had time for it...

ho i have forgotten, i want to know how to make mods, with new menus, with cinematics and missions...

because i have a very good idea of mod and i have models, weapons, maps, stances, sounds, i just don't have the sufficiant knowledge to realise it...

but if a moder help me, i'm sure it will be a very great game, if you are interesting by my project, send me a message for the

informations about this mod ^^

To bring the 2 communities together I think JKhub just needs a good server that people would want to play on. Then just advertise the F out of jkhub on that server. =p

I was a heavy player for a long time, not so much recently since I've yet to find a good lugormod server to settle into. The ones I end up liking a lot disappear despite being popular and full all the time.

therfiles and Circa like this