what the heck is japro

• 1 year later...

Abusive admins wouldn't be an issue if the player makes the choice to stop going there to troll and be a general ass...*cough*

Though really, JA+ did it's job well in keeping JKA going. It's long outdated and JA++ is generally better, but hey; I certainly don't mind JA+

If a mod is considered "abusive" or alters the game to much.  There is really a simple answer to that.

Small isolated parts and portions are responsible for what it turns out whether that's "abusive" admins or what have you.  That's a reflection on these little communitys, and there is a server out there that caters to just about everyones preference in play. 

A mod is just a tool.  People complain about every mod in some way, shape, or form.  As well as the fact that every mod has people who personally go out of there way to take it apart OR defend it like it's a holy icon.  I've seen plenty of clans through the years simply "give" admin to people just cause they hit a magical rank that allowed them to get it handed to them.  But how many places actually taught people the simple basic thing that "being an admin actually means maintaining(whatever your prefered play style is) our level of standard over what people might consider "popular" or "cool"?  And at one point or another people go nuts and give everyone magical "admin only" stuff like guns and wizard powers to go crazy and cut loose.

I never really understood why there was ever a merc power setup for a mod.  It comes by default with the game.  You disable it on your servers cause you have no interest in it.  Why make it an admin command?

If you disable force by default on your server, why even have empower?  You already broadcast to everyone you don't like it on your server but love and enjoy it when you have absolute control over it(just like guns).

Rcon is honestly most admin anyone needs.  In game admin is just "fluff".  Fancy and flashy ways of flexing(for most folks).  You don't really need emotes either honestly, but again it's just fluff and people obviously love fluff(no not the marshmallow spread).  Despite mod complaints if there was no modders, flip kick would of never been turned on in JA.  JA would of never had a full forcing crowd like JO already had as it is.  JA people should be happy with what they got.  Not everyone takes the time to produce or turn out mods or content.  It's half the reason why the game is still alive, besides player investment(content helped to fuel player interest).

How many admins do you know that have to log into admin the second they get in game? :shifty:

Idiot: Herp Derp Derp blocking in your mod sucks, this game is a chat room, lawl 10-0 noob.

Admin/Every Person Who Regulars The Server/Your Brain: Why not just go to another server if you don't really like how this place is in general?

Idiot: LUL N00B

Admin/Every Person Who Regulars The Server/Your Brain: :facepalm:

i never added amslap/amslay/ampunish or w/e partly due to laziness, but mostly b/c they would never be used on my server, so there was no personal incentive to add them.  in the readme, i didn't mean to pass judgement or anything about servers which use those commands.
the admin commands i did add are stuff that i find useful.
pretty much the only reason i add anything to my mod is if it would be useful on my own server, not because i'm trying to "compete" with other mods.

"To improve the MP style saber hit detection, as seen in JA+. - http://www.upsgaming.com/japro/"

I lolled. Such professional, very mod. No but, w/e.

idk what that means really... in case other peoples are confused too, by MP damage i meant "d_saberSPStyleDamage 0".  in baseJKA that cvar causes swings to ghosts a lot, but in JA+ mp it doesn't ( http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=1468937&postcount=8 ) putting the JA+ hate aside, it definitely improved the "d_saberSPStyleDamage 0" hit detection.

... plenty of clans through the years simply "gave" admin to people just cause they hit a magical rank that allowed them to get it handed to them.

How many admins do you know that have to log into admin the second they get in game? :shifty:

TRUE  It's usually given away as a trophy for reaching a high rank, but even if a high ranking member advises not to abuse, it doesn't matter, some can't handle the  POWER.

It's something you can't really avoid, once you stop playing games and concentrate on your life and career, you can still find that "abusive ja+ admin" from your work place.

Someone who acts as a referee; blowing his/hers whistle whenever something doesn't please him. Some gamers are just easy to piss off, and hard to speak reason to.

how many admins do I know that have to log in when they join?

Not many. But then there are those who I mentioned just now, that usually log in just so they can (eventually) abuse admin.

It's interesting to also point out that japro aims to make the game more competitive when baseJKA has already done that; and that's the vanilla game.

"baseJKA has already made the game more competitive"...? than itself? what?

baseJKA is somewhat broken (not talking about gameplay).  its partly why mods like base_enhanced, ESLmod, leaguemod, etc were created.  it's hard to have a "competitive" game when someone can get rcon via an exploit and ban you mid match.  as far as additional "competitive" features go, again baseJKA is lacking and its why those mods, and mods like sabermetrix and BWN were created.

A security fix doesn't make the game more competitive, it makes it more secure. And as long as you disable autodownload and votes there is not that much that can happen (except for crashes, but you should only play matches on passworded servers anyway).

a game has to be playable for it to be competitive.  also by getting rid of callvote you make it so pickup games cant happen unless there are people with rcon, which is not really viable.  i used quotes around "competitive" because in the context of JKA / these forums i use a very loose definition.  there are (fixable) exploits that you can use without being connected to a server.

Can anyone really compare base with any mod that has altered the saber (damage, dmg_range, blocking etc.) ?? If changing a server means that you have to take a minute or two

to learn how to duel on the specific server, doesn't that mean that they are too different to be compared? Each mod, with their own differences, are equally as competitive.

I do just fine on JA+ servers, because that's where I mostly ever played. I didn't do that well against players on Base servers, because that's what they mostly ever played.

I may be better than my friend in Base, but if we joined a MB2 game, and fight there too (sith/jedi) he will probably WIN me there, because that's what he almost ever playes.

You can't compare MBII with Ja+ and base since MBII is like a completely new game and Ja+ is like a more random version of base. And I think there is a reason why JA+ ladders and cups didn't last for very long while people still play base competitively after 11 years.

You can't compare MBII with Ja+ and base since MBII is like a completely new game and Ja+ is like a more random version of base.

And I think there is a reason why JA+ ladders and cups didn't last for very long while people still play base competitively after 11 years.

I compared nothing to nothing. That was my point. Both JA+ and MB2 are so modified, that it's impossible to compare them with Base JKA, and it's competitive aspect.

Servers have been empty for years, with only bots and a couple presistent clans, it's amusing that some players still like to concider themselves elite for playing Base JKA.

Cause they play in the ESL (or other leagues) against other competitive players, not because they play 24/7 on some server (and there are no bots on servers that are used for competitive play).

And as I said before, you can compare base to Ja+ as the saber gameplay is almost the same.

To be fair, the game is pretty much dead now and the ESL is no exception. But until 2014 there were still big tournaments as you can read here: http://jkhub.org/wiki/index.php/Tournament .

It all started from comparing jaPRO with JA+ and this was all good to read in order to better understand what jaPRO is trying to fix.

So basically jaPRO aims to create a better competitive mod?  With less admin commands to exploit. That's good.

It all started from comparing jaPRO with JA+ and this was all good to read in order to better understand what jaPRO is trying to fix.

So basically jaPRO aims to create a better competitive mod?  With less admin commands to exploit. That's good.

Sorry, didn't quite read all the threads my bad :P

jaPRO brings Defrag to the JA community. There's a total of 9 movement styles that you can compete with on each course <siege, jka, qw, cpm, q3, pjk, wsw, rjq3, and rjcpm>.

For movement styles that aren't so obvious:

qw is quake world, pjk is jka plus cpm, wsw is warsow, and rjq3/rjcpm is rocket jump with q3/cpm.

There's an added "Race Mode" that you can enter at anytime from FFA or spec. This puts you in another dimension so that you can officially record times without any interference. In race mode you are allowed to use /amtelemark, /amtele, and /noclip.

jaPRO also brings back ranked duels with the elo rating system. You can duel in Force, Saber, All guns, or a gun of your choosing. Saber duels has special settings that emulate basejka.

Race times and ranked duels are recorded into a database when you are logged into your account. Ranked duels are only recorded when both players are logged in. The database for the ups server is uploaded daily to the ups site. Check it out here:

http://upsgaming.com/stats/

There's more features that jaPRO has, but these are the two main ones.

in addition to defrag jaPRO also has:

Fullforce duels 

Base NF duels (damages/parrying changes depending on what type of duel you select so if u do a NF duel its like base, this is the one that's competitive)

JK2 CTF (mimics the jk2 ctf combat with high damages and spinnable backslash)

Gun duels (pick a gun or all guns to duel with)

there's other features but dueling/ctf are the main ones if you're not interested in defrag

• 4 weeks later...

jaPRO brings Defrag to the JA community. There's a total of 9 movement styles that you can compete with on each course <siege, jka, qw, cpm, q3, pjk, wsw, rjq3, and rjcpm>.

For movement styles that aren't so obvious:

qw is quake world, pjk is jka plus cpm, wsw is warsow, and rjq3/rjcpm is rocket jump with q3/cpm.

There's an added "Race Mode" that you can enter at anytime from FFA or spec. This puts you in another dimension so that you can officially record times without any interference. In race mode you are allowed to use /amtelemark, /amtele, and /noclip.

jaPRO also brings back ranked duels with the elo rating system. You can duel in Force, Saber, All guns, or a gun of your choosing. Saber duels has special settings that emulate basejka.

Race times and ranked duels are recorded into a database when you are logged into your account. Ranked duels are only recorded when both players are logged in. The database for the ups server is uploaded daily to the ups site. Check it out here:

http://upsgaming.com/stats/

There's more features that jaPRO has, but these are the two main ones.

in addition to defrag jaPRO also has:

Fullforce duels 

Base NF duels (damages/parrying changes depending on what type of duel you select so if u do a NF duel its like base, this is the one that's competitive)

JK2 CTF (mimics the jk2 ctf combat with high damages and spinnable backslash)

Gun duels (pick a gun or all guns to duel with)

there's other features but dueling/ctf are the main ones if you're not interested in defrag

Don't know why you guys bothered. All this means to them is (despite it all being optional content and base duels being 99% accurate in japro) it's not "muh pure base".

Kane likes this