Mod Project/Game Project

You will most definitely not want to be using visual studio 6. If you want to compile the code then download the express edition of visual studio 2013 and update the code so that it compiles under that. From a technical standpoint, visual studio 6 is a buggy and broken piece of software.

As long as we dont make money - release the game for free, make it open source, and change everything in the assets folder that we plan on using.

The GNU GPL doesn't prevent you from making money. As the licence states:

To protect your rights, we need to make restrictions that forbid anyone to deny you these rights or to ask you to surrender the rights. These restrictions translate to certain responsibilities for you if you distribute copies of the software, or if you modify it.

For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that you have. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the source code. And you must show them these terms so they know their rights.

We protect your rights with two steps: (1) copyright the software, and (2) offer you this license which gives you legal permission to copy, distribute and/or modify the software.

So you can still sell your software, and only then do you have to make the source code to those who own the software. But from there, I think the people with your source code at then at liberty to distribute it for free (I'm not certain on this).

I think you'd have to change every asset.

Have you looked at how many animation sequences there are? We had a project on here about making a fans version of JA or JO, but it was the idea of making that many animations that ultimately killed the idea.

We are deleted all the assets files that are not going to be needed in the new game. We will also be deleting their reference in the code later on down the line.

where are the animations located?

The GNU GPL doesn't prevent you from making money. As the licence states:

So you can still sell your software, and only then do you have to make the source code to those who own the software. But from there, I think the people with your source code at then at liberty to distribute it for free (I'm not certain on this).

I can't find anyone that is 100% sure on the GPL. So far all we really know is that we need to re do all the assets. The code is unclear but we have been told as long as it's open source and free we should be clear of everything. If we can get a professional to look at everything and tell us one way or the other that would ideal but until than this is the plan.

GPL is pretty clear cut. You derive from a GPL-licensed work, that derived work is then licensed under GPL. You use a library, then that library must be GPL compliant. There's loopholes and technicalities but you aren't going to be able to do that in this case.

As far as assets are concerned, you are not allowed to redistribute assets from the original game with code. This is considered an intellectual property violation/piracy. The exceptions are the things that were distributed with the original code release. I believe this was a few .cfg files.

As far as pay, yes, you can charge for productions which use this code. This adds one extra restriction: you may not use copyrighted content (such as trademarked stuff, stuff protected under copyright, etc), including any mention of Star Wars stuff.

Regardless of whatever path you take (paid content or free download) you must provide either a link to the source code, or package the source code with the finished product. If its a paid product, you can choose to make the code only available to those who have purchased the software. This is optional; Quake 3 and others make the code available for free.

It's pretty clear-cut.

We are deleted all the assets files that are not going to be needed in the new game. We will also be deleting their reference in the code later on down the line.

where are the animations located?

The player's are in models/players/_humanoid.

If you want to see the number of animation sequences open the animation.cfg with note pad. It's daunting.

Rancors and such have their own skeleton and animations.

Of course, they're the same engine, the skeletons are different though.

I started on adding the JK2 skeleton into that rig file so that all you'd have to do is animate the rig, then branch select which skeleton you wanted to export, JO or JA. Compiling process should be the same since the process I outlined I actually dug up from a JK2 section of lucasforums.com.

Don't know why you would want to use JK2 as a base since JA is essentially an enhanced version of the same engine. The only downside to JA is the lack of bones in the animation set which I think @@DT85 and @@Archangel35757 have already found a workaround to.

For "something to be said about JA's simplistic nature" - I'm going to assume you meant the combination of fast paced movement and sabers + force. Saying that the game's simple nature is the key selling point is a bit of a stretch (or just flat out wrong). Most people don't play Q3 because it's "simple", after all. :P

Well, games like Quake, Tribes or Jedi Knight only seem to be simple while they are actually really complex or at least take a long time to master. I mean, you can play Jedi Knight for 10 years and you will still learn something new or at least improve your skill. And I've played Quake Live for 4 years or so and still got owned 30 : -2 by players who played Quake for 6 years or longer. I think Quake 3 is hundred times more complex than new games like BF3 or CoD.

Well, games like Quake, Tribes or Jedi Knight only seem to be simple while they are actually really complex or at least take a long time to master. I mean, you can play Jedi Knight for 10 years and you will still learn something new or at least improve your skill. And I've played Quake Live for 4 years or so and still got owned 30 : -2 by players who played Quake for 6 years or longer. I think Quake 3 is hundred times more complex than new games like BF3 or CoD.

I ment simple as in you only have so many controls and all the actions are planned. you dont have kill streaks or heli's and tanks to worry about or headshots vs leg shots kind a thing. I guess a good phrase to sum it up would be easy to learn hard to master ?

I ment simple as in you only have so many controls and all the actions are planned. you dont have kill streaks or heli's and tanks to worry about or headshots vs leg shots kind a thing. I guess a good phrase to sum it up would be easy to learn hard to master ?

Well, you don't have tanks (maybe swoops or AT-STs) but you have weapons and force and strafe-jumping etc. So it depends on what you mean with easy to "learn". Like... when did you "learn" a game. If you're able to handle all force-powers and weapons? Or if you know how to move and to point a blaster pistol at your enemy.  I think a game like CS or Battlefield is easier to learn tbh.  And you actually have several hitzones in Jedi Academy.

But I don't want to argue, I know what you mean. :P

It's easy enough to add new bones to the existing skeleton, only the new bones will need to be animated. But it's easy enough to add back bones like: all 5 fingers with 3 segments and the toe bones (one on each foot). Changing the amount of bones will render existing models unusable UNLESS there is a conversion table in the code or they are simply re-compiled against the new GLA.

What some people don't realise is - JKA's GLA is a mix of JKA animations & a lot of JK2 animations. The JKA animations had extra bones compared to the JK2 animations which carcass just puts in the new bones in every single animation regardless if it's in every one of the source files. The new bones will animate in the JKA animations, but not in the JK2 animations.

Well, games like Quake, Tribes or Jedi Knight only seem to be simple while they are actually really complex or at least take a long time to master.

Are you talking about the first Tribes? If so, I love you. If not, I don't love you. I will still sleep with you though.

Sorry but the only project I have any real interest in doing things for is the DF1 and 2 mods since they fit the engine so well and have a high possibility of success since game mechanics don't need to be altered too much.

Not magic, just years and practice and learning the software well, I'm still a nub.

Let me throw an idea out there and you guys tell me what you think. What if instead of making this a stand alone, we made this a mod for jk2 with a new exe that would overwrite the current jk2mp.exe. That should, for the most part, avoid all asset remakes and potentiall law suits, correct?