Dantooine

NumberWan

@@lang_french

The mod is in progress, but Dantooine is almost complete, though it's not the first mission. In the last several months I've recreated most of the textures for Dantooine and other planets (either by making futuristic ones or taking photos of stones and organic matter). You can check updates here on the forums or the DP's page on moddb here.

@

The mod will be released in Chapters. Currently I am working on the last map for he Chapter – the forest. It is quite large and complicated in terms of design for Jedi Academy, given, that the forest must be really green, with lots of trees, bushes, grass, as well as beasts and cool sounds here and there.

Jeff, ZanderNao and Barricade24 like this

Oh yeah, this is a really HUGE project! And this would be very, very interesting to work about a French version of it. I know tha now there are many many "little" mods which are standing by and are late, but this one would be perhaps the biggest and the best to translate! If the mod isn't released in several months, it would be possible to do!

I make serious work, this is how voices translations take a lot of time^^

NumberWan likes this

@@lang_french

Thanks for kind words. We actually have English and Russian versions (subtitles, though English voicing is possible as well). German is in plans, but we haven't talked to anyone who knows French yet. So I guess we can discuss that soon (the mod will be released in Chapters, the first being almost complete: 6 of 7 maps are 100% finished in it).

lang_french likes this

@@NumberWan I think (and hope) I will release at least 1 translation during the last both weeks of august, you will can see how I'm working if you want. The others are slower because my "main dubber" isn't available during this time, but I'm still working on it, and with authorisations for all except Shadriss for Deception (can't find a way to contact him, he left no email or what).

In a first time, I can translate the subtitles now and voices will come later, if you MP the .str files I could do this.

• 1 year later...

Updated Dantooine maps, which gained much both in terms of visual design and gameplay. The already mentioned and shown location of Dantooine fams is now larger than it originally was. The third map also offers sort of a small additional quest, which can be ignored by the Players.

We also made it so, that dantooine levels have their own enemy NPCs now, and even if you meet familiar bad guys, they now have a new look as well.

shot1520_zpsijrbr5gy.jpg

shot1521_zpskxwzetis.jpg

shot1519_zpsrkc0lv9o.jpg

@@Bek

Dantooine is mostly plains, but that's how we saw it in KOTOR 1 and 2. I decided to stay close to K1 in terms of yellow grass. Originally I used the old textures from the game, but made new version of most of them. In this screen the place is kept under the supervision of the authorities, even though it's quite old (it's actually the Matale estate, if you remember it). JA however has its limitations...

I also read the books, looked through Dantooine in SW Galaxies, as well as through various comics, encyclopedia, etc. The most interesting thing in my opinion is the Dantari, the local tribes. However they stay aside from our story :) The Eol Sha also don't appear, but these people were all killed by Daala years before DP.

It's somehow difficult to add something truly Dantooinish in this particular square, but other locations include certain design solutions, don't worry. ;)

TheWhitePhoenix and Bek like this
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/27/2020 at 12:32 PM, Peprykus said:

Hey, do you maybe have just the Dantooine map itself for seperate use?
I was looking for something like it to use in an RP session, but never found anything similiar enough.

It would certainly be possible but do they have the time and the resources to pull this feat while working on the mod itself, that's the question . . .

Peprykus likes this

Signature.jpg

• 1 year later...

Updated Dantooine. The farmland and spaceport areas are expanded a bit, but are a lot more detailed as well. The gameplay is also slightly changed so that the mission is nothing like 'a very long corridor, you run through'. While on a mission with Luke Skywalker, Kyle encounters a few enemies near the landing area and has to deal with them.

mBhYM4q.jpeg

o7s5ZxZ.jpeg

9btrZkV.jpeg

On 11/10/2022 at 8:01 AM, NumberWan said:

Updated Dantooine. The farmland and spaceport areas are expanded a bit, but are a lot more detailed as well. The gameplay is also slightly changed so that the mission is nothing like 'a very long corridor, you run through'. While on a mission with Luke Skywalker, Kyle encounters a few enemies near the landing area and has to deal with them.

mBhYM4q.jpeg

o7s5ZxZ.jpeg

9btrZkV.jpeg

Yummmmmm

NumberWan likes this
  • 3 weeks later...

This looks amazing, (myself, i love making outdoor maps, so always interested in seeing how terrain develops), but can i give some tips? I find the terrain itself rather flat, never is a terrain truly flat, or truly sloped in every position. you may wanna look at that perhaps. I played around in my map with sprites which can create a truly awesome appearance, you could play with that as well, if you want i can share shaders and textures.

NumberWan likes this
  • 6 months later...
On 7/10/2023 at 5:15 PM, Minoda said:

I'm absolutely loving how you've nailed the aesthetic of Dantooine here! My RP community could really do with a new Dantooine Temple to use, I'd love to use some of these textures, any ideas where I could get them or if you'd be willing to share? @NumberWan 

Feel free to DM 🙂

Hi! Thank you for your kind words.

The textures are based off the original ones from KOTOR, however we thought it would be best to create our own, so they were replaced with very similar ones, designed from scratch. Some objects are new as well.

We released Chapter I of the mod earlier, and we've never been against using our materials in other projects, so Chapter II wouldn't be an exception here. We plan to finish our work with this pack soon and thus all the materials (including textures, as well as new Dantooine models – lights, decorations, etc.) would be available too.

Circa likes this
1 hour ago, Lwkill said:

i really love the terrain on the dantooine screenshots! im curious how you made them it looks much better than being just radiant brushs

In the past the terrain included the meshes, but Olgo suggested making them more interesting one day. We never came to the idea back then, but now the map uses MD3 hills of different forms and sizes. Also different shaders, so that the close ones have grass. And the ones at the distance – don't use sprites.

Lwkill likes this