Beta Demo

DT85

<Link for demo removed>

Q: What is this?
A: This is a beta demo, meaning everything you see is NOT finalised but you can see the kind of direction it's going. This mod runs off of modified OpenJK code.

Q: How do I install this?
A: You will need to change the shortcut paths, it's currently set to D:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData. The DF2 folder needs to go
in your gamedata folder. Run the Dark Forces II shortcut once you've fixed the paths to match your JKA installation.

Q: What should I expect when I play?

A: Expect bugs, and an unfinished product. There shouldn't however be any "start of the level" to the "end of the level" pathway bugs.

Q: Why release a Beta Demo in the first place?

A: To hopefully gather more team members. The level design is a VERY big job to do on my own.

Q: Can I use anything in the .pk3's for my own purpose?
A: Sure can, just be sure to credit myself and those in the credits.txt.

Q: What happens when I finish the first level?
A: The level will stay loaded after you track down 8t88 at his ship. In the finished version, a cutscene video will play and the next level will load.

Q: This looks a bit different from the original DF2 game
A: While I've kept mostly to the core level design from the original game, I've added/removed some things.

This project will be put on hold until a few level designers are willing to help out.

Barricade24, Futuza and h643 like this

This is untested, but try this to get it running on base JKA:

- Edit the shortcut path "D:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\openjk_sp.x86.exe" +set fs_game DF2 to "D:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe" +set fs_game DF2

- Once ingame, open up the console and type map 01narshadda

Don't forget to change the path above to match your base JKA path.

Things that won't work if you do this:

- First level is base JKA's yavin1

- Fists first person model won't work correctly

I've just got to say,I tested this out (didn't use the openjk engine,I used my own), and i think its fantastic.The video at the start was well converted and drew me back to the DF2 days.Nice clean ,simple menus.The map was just cool and had a authentic feel.

I really enjoyed playing this map through and have to say well done and keep up the good work.Its been a long time since a singlplayer mod gave me so much fun.

Hopefully you will find the help your looking for and continue this mods development.Wish i could help you out but sorry i cant map.

Good luck with this one :winkthumb:

Made a little video i was so impressed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2da-JybD3I&feature=youtu.be

I've just got to say,I tested this out (didn't use the openjk engine,I used my own), and i think its fantastic.The video at the start was well converted and drew me back to the DF2 days.Nice clean ,simple menus.The map was just cool and had a authentic feel.

I really enjoyed playing this map through and have to say well done and keep up the good work.Its been a long time since a singlplayer mod gave me so much fun.

Hopefully you will find the help your looking for and continue this mods development.Wish i could help you out but sorry i cant map.

I'm just here to point out the misuse of the word "Engine" here. JKA, OpenJK, and all derivations that have been made so far as still variations of the Quake3 engine.

Making small modifications does not grant you the right to claim its your own engine. That's just terribly misleading for outsiders.

I must say I'm very impressed, I had no idea one could recreate the first level that well. Of course with limitations of the engine, only so much that can be done. Only complaint I have is with the mod installation.

The files that require the mod to run properly, OpenJK related, come up as false positives with Norton so I had to make a .bat file to run the mod. Unfortunately this meant that the base game would run instead of the level, so I'd have to do the map command to get the map to run, and I'd end up playing as the default female twi'lek. Weapons work fine though.

I recommend just using the base code to run the mod as not everyone can use OpenJK.

Oh dear, it's openJK...I might get a blackscreen again...well I'll try running it anyway.

How about instead of complaining that its openjk, you try to find out why this is happening?  Nobody else reports this.

I must say I'm very impressed, I had no idea one could recreate the first level that well. Of course with limitations of the engine, only so much that can be done. Only complaint I have is with the mod installation.

The files that require the mod to run properly, OpenJK related, come up as false positives with Norton so I had to make a .bat file to run the mod. Unfortunately this meant that the base game would run instead of the level, so I'd have to do the map command to get the map to run, and I'd end up playing as the default female twi'lek. Weapons work fine though.

I recommend just using the base code to run the mod as not everyone can use OpenJK.

You just said false positive, so...  There is no problem, only crappy antivirus that doesn't recognize an unsigned binary for an unreleased engine.  Don't spread FUD please.

Could you send me the HUD which is in that video? It looks really cool :)

@@ensiform

I've had this blackscreen problem since I've been running JKA on this computer: http://jkhub.org/topic/1009-jedi-academy-black-screen/?hl=%2Bblack+%2Bscreen

Somehow SOMEHOW, I don't even know how, I got jka working with only the jamp and jasp.exe files. But with the new openjk.x86.exe file, the problem once again occurs.

I doubt it has anything to do with OpenJK. I'm not complaining, I'm just saying.

I'm just here to point out the misuse of the word "Engine" here. JKA, OpenJK, and all derivations that have been made so far as still variations of the Quake3 engine.

Making small modifications does not grant you the right to claim its your own engine. That's just terribly misleading for outsiders.

My apologies ,if the word use is incorrect (for some legal reason?).I was unaware.maybe  "My version of the engine" or "The engine I modified" will avoid misleading any outsiders.  The code i use is not openjk it is "JKA SP SDK   u-richwhitehouse-jediacademy-4bebb8ec23200ee150a9aa566cea6122c19eba44 " Original post when JKA SDK was first released.You guys are not the only people who can fix a code ,fix some bugs and remove some "possibly illegal" should never have been released stuff.

Would have preferred to see it without those unnecessary visual mods. I can't tell what's part of this mod, and what's part of whatever else in your base folder.

What's different in this "Serenity Jedi Engine"? Can I see the source :D?

If you wish to see the demo without any unnecessary visual mods then i suggest you download the mod and test it for yourself.I ran the demo through Evolution of Combat mod.

If you wish to see what's in the "Engine I modified" Then you will have to wait until I release the code with the upcoming version 5 of Evolution of Combat in a few weeks.After its finished.Its not openjk so it doesn't have a repository sorry.I plan on packing the code with the released mod.

I'm under no legal obligation to release or distribute the code until i release or distribute a mod containing the modified code.

This topic isn't really about  the efx or visuals  I use in my base folder its about this awesome demo.The video was a "just for fun" thing.

Could you send me the HUD which is in that video? It looks really cool :)

Its the standard EoC hud created by me and stoiss, mainly a bastardisation of the JKO standard hud with other contributors artwork and open jedi project, coded in by me and stoiss. 

The darkforces2 hud is a perfectly excellent hud ,But EoC  "my modified engine" automatic overwrites other huds and uses its own through code.You would need "My modified engine" to run it without errors.

You guys are not the only people who can fix a code ,fix some bugs and remove some "possibly illegal" should never have been released stuff.

Of course not =) But no one at OpenJK is trying to claim it's a new engine. It's a modified engine though, like yours, but that doesn't make it qualified as a new engine imo.

At the very least you should make sure to always mention it's a modified jka/q3 engine.

And you could very possibly be correct about when you have to release your source code =)

Of course not =) But no one at OpenJK is trying to claim it's a new engine. It's a modified engine though, like yours, but that doesn't make it qualified as a new engine imo.

At the very least you should make sure to always mention it's a modified jka/q3 engine.

And you could very possibly be correct about when you have to release your source code =)

Ha I knew you would "bite"

I never said anything about "new engine" I said " (didn't use the openjk engine,I used my own)"  No mention of NEW I used the term engine in reference to openjk.

Maybe YOU should make sure to always mention it's a modified jka/q3 engine when referencing Openjk (however tedious this may seem).and we will all be happy.

I know im correct about the release/ distribution stuff so you can stop trying to police the code,Irrelevant of what you "think you know" its not your call. Its a simple legal matter, no biggie.

How about instead of complaining that its openjk, you try to find out why this is happening?  Nobody else reports this.

You just said false positive, so...  There is no problem, only crappy antivirus that doesn't recognize an unsigned binary for an unreleased engine.  Don't spread FUD please.

I meant the .dll files and the .exe for openjk are deleted by Norton as it believes it's a virus as they do some mod-like things. I don't see how that's FUD.

Looking good :) , I think it's around 10 years since I last played DF2 xD
JKA's graphics are a little boring but it looks much 'cleaner' :)

And sorry for adding more off-topic :unsure: but @@Onysfx

maybe the problem with openjk.exe is wrong color depth
try
r_colorBits 0 (or 16 or 32)
vid_restart

I never said anything about "new engine" I said " (didn't use the openjk engine,I used my own)"  No mention of NEW I used the term engine in reference to openjk.

Maybe YOU should make sure to always mention it's a modified jka/q3 engine when referencing Openjk (however tedious this may seem).and we will all be happy.

I know im correct about the release/ distribution stuff so you can stop trying to police the code,Irrelevant of what you "think you know" its not your call. Its a simple legal matter, no biggie.

I'm confused. Is your engine based off of OpenJK or is it based off the original source release?

Also I don't think it's really fair to target @@Scooper directly like that, since he isn't exactly the entire team behind OpenJK (he isn't even a maintainer, he's contributed several things to the project in the past from my understanding though). 

Where does OpenJK ever mention that it was a completely new engine? The project page (http://github.com/JACoders/OpenJK) just mentions that it seeks to improve the base game.

I meant the .dll files and the .exe for openjk are deleted by Norton as it believes it's a virus as they do some mod-like things. I don't see how that's FUD.

What does Norton say they are? Does it give specifics as to what kinda virus they think it is? This would provide some insight into why Norton thinks it is a virus. My suspicion is that Norton, like Avast, automatically flags anything which has barely been seen in the wild as being a virus. I personally turn off those settings in Avast as they interfere pretty heavily with workflow (imagine getting everything you compile automatically chucked into Avast's sandbox and you can see why it might be an nuisance)

By calling it an engine it's implied that it's a new or at least different engine, which it is not. You are the only one who has been calling OpenJK an engine. (If I have used it in this thread it's only been for contexts sake).

And my issue with your claim was that it was misleading, which still stands regardless of your use of the word new or not.

I have no issues with pointing out that OpenJK is a modification of the JKA/Q3 engine whenever we talk about it as an engine, or at the very least state it wherever necessary. But since we don't claim that it's an engine, there isn't any confusion.

I have never imagined that I have any rights to police you in anything, and I don't have a grudge against you or anything like that. So I'm curious as to why you would act as if you're being persecuted.

It's good to see that you can participate in arguments maturely and discuss the things without getting all bratty about it though. You have truly earned my respect. [/sarcasm]

Here's some tips for you to keep in mind for the future:

If you're going to post on the internet you should expect some responses, and try not to display what a bad person you might be in your responses.

If you actually did get into legal issues it would be kind of a 'biggie', in terms of legal matters. In practice you would probably get away with almost anything you tried with this old game though. The kotf guy has gotten really popular working like that.

MoonDog and eezstreet like this