The First Annual High Velocity Open Tournament

Carbon

High Velocity is hosting an OPEN Jedi Academy Tournament! Open registration will last until 11/25/2013 (-5GMT)

A GRAND PRIZE TO THE FIRST PLACE WINNER OF: A $20 Giftcard To Gamestop or Walmart (Winner's Choice)

This is an open tournament, all players able to join are more than welcome random or not! A referee from High Velocity (or a volunteer referee) will need to watch all matches! It is your job to set up your match over the time limit given and reach a ref to watch it! You may either register directly for this or choose to have us register you! An upside to registering yourself is when the second tournament starts players will be seeded based on the first tournament. Also, volunteer referees are allowed! Please contact a current referee to apply to become one (will be accepted as needed).

-Contact List Of Referees (Will Be Kept Updated)-
Death: Skype- sober_dreams | Xfire: Fsevox
Leo: Skpe- sephiroth2923 | Xfire:sephyhara
Jeh: Xfire- jehwolfie | Skype- jkid77
Link: Xfire- gotohell | skype-gotohellx2
Freddy: Skype- nihilus76
-------------------------------------
How To Register Directly For Tournament
1. Go to http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/qAEqXg15Su and register for an account
2. You may be directed back to the registration page after you register, if not you may need to re-click the link from step one.
3. While logged in, click the 'register' button.
How To Register Indirectly For Tournament
1. Go to http://www.hvjka.com/index.php?/forum/70-apply-to-become-a-friend/ and apply to become a 'Friend' of Hv (auto accepted, IF ALREADY LISTED AS FRIEND SKIP TO STEP TWO)
2. Go to http://www.hvjka.com/index.php?/topic/308-the-first-annual-high-velocity-open-tournament/&do=findComment&comment=1488 and ask us to sign you up for the tournament
3. An account with a name you provide will be put into the brackets
Rules
-Each round will be the first to win 5 duels on the High Velocity Server (192.223.27.181:29070).
-Any Saber Allowed
-Saber Changes Between Duels Allowed
-JA+ MP Damages (In the future if we get enough suggestions we may also add an option for SP/Base)
-A residing referee from High Velocity will need to watch each match, it is your job to contact one to watch it over xfire or skype (a list of contacts will be provided)
-There will be a 10 day limit for each match to be done
-This is a friendly tournament, please keep that in mind at all times!

-JA+ MP Damages (In the future if we get enough suggestions we may also add an option for SP/Base)

This is a joke, right?

EDIT: And the only server we are supposed to play on is located in the US? So all Europeans are automatically at a severe disadvantage? How about you remove the prize money and invest it into actually getting a european server to make the tournament fair for everyone.

Merek and SOVIET CORSAIR like this

This is a joke, right?

EDIT: And the only server we are supposed to play on is located in the US? So all Europeans are automatically at a severe disadvantage? How about you remove the prize money and invest it into actually getting a european server to make the tournament fair for everyone.

How about you stop complaining about a friendly tournament with a $20 Prize you dont have to pay to enter for. Yea? This isn't ESL, and MOST americans ping 80-100 there ALONG with euro pinging 80-100 there as its in NY ty. Players like Haldir, Rhodes, Drumz etc do JUST fine. Perhaps you should just not join if that information is just too horrifying to handle bud, or do you want to keep crying about a tournament held by a community like you are some 'super pr0 MLG baser shit'. Come on man, the games 10 years old, lighten up and relax about it. If you want 'fair zomg need 10 ping to play' go to ESL. This is for players who actually care about briniging the community together as well as MAYBE win 20 FEE FREE dollars. I didn't think that sounded SO bad :<

Ping and Jeff like this

Although I admit me questioning your mod choice was a bit too direct, I gave you perfectly fine constructive criticism as to your server choice, which is a much larger issue. How do you want to host a fair tournament without taking into account that people might want to participate that don't live in the vicinity of the server and thus without putting them at a serious disadvantage? And if you can't guarantee that your tournament is going to be fair to everyone who wants to play in it, putting money on the line is a questionable use of resources... especially if it could be used to fix the glaring problem with your tournament.

SOVIET CORSAIR likes this

JA+ MP is what the majority of people KNOW how to play (whether they chose to or not). Maybe five years ago, yea base. Now? On a game getting few new users and those who do join new the MAJORITY of the population uses JA+ Mp or KNOW how to use it. As for ping, it is an open, fee free tournament. Yea, it might not be considered 'fair' that someone is rocking 100 ping while someone else is rocking 20, however you get those problems both ways. That being said, I have seen about 10 EU basers come to our server and have no problem playing and making their scores 10-0.

If we wanted to be fair, we would host a double tourny for EU and USA players. That being said, this is our first open tournament and after asking six friendly clans to Hv the most popular choise was BY FAR JA+ MP (even base and SP players agreed). The problem with base is going from Base to JA+ is meh, its different BUT base players are used to being passive and taking VERY few hits which carries over to MP. From JA+ to Base you carry over basically nothing, giving base players a HUGE HUGE advantage over everyone else (except perhaps SP players). You guys need to take into account this tourny isnt just for the tenured players, it is for people who could possibly know NOTHING as well.

ALSO. Whining about it not being SP or Base will not change anything for this tournament. It is set, done. Nothings gonna happen.. That being said please CAREFULLY read this next point as you all must have missed it: -JA+ MP Damages (In the future if we get enough suggestions we may also add an option for SP/Base)

So What does that mean? Instead of being down about it not being exaclty how you like it, take part in this and if people SUGGEST having an option for SP/Base per match, we JUST MIGHT make it happen.

The most direct and even approach is to use JA+ Mp hands down, anyone who cant see that is just too hard headed and in the end won't see reason no matter how well it is put. Again I can not stress enough that this is an OPEN oppertunity for the ENTIRE JKA community to possibly win that grand prize. If you don't like it, don't join. More chances of me winning that prize :3

Ping likes this

Although I admit me questioning your mod choice was a bit too direct, I gave you perfectly fine constructive criticism as to your server choice, which is a much larger issue. How do you want to host a fair tournament without taking into account that people might want to participate that don't live in the vicinity of the server and thus without putting them at a serious disadvantage? And if you can't guarantee that your tournament is going to be fair to everyone who wants to play in it, putting money on the line is a questionable use of resources... especially if it could be used to fix the glaring problem with your tournament.

Are you suggesting that there is a magical spot in which to place a server where everyone from each distant part of the globe can attain a good ping?

@@Carbon: Oh yes I will most definitely take part in a tournament represented by someone who threw a tantrum in the face of constructive criticism and went to great lengths to insult me. Is everyone from Hv like that?

As for the mod: Clearly I cannot argue against what you said because anyone who would disagree with you must be "too hard headed" and wouldn't "see reason no matter how well it is put", so why bother saying anything to the contrary if the collocutor, for whatever reason (oh the irony), rejects all counterarguments right away?

@@MoonDog: I'm saying there are way more productive ways to deal with the issue of pings than forcing everyone to play on a server that favours a certain group over another.

@@Carbon: Oh yes I will most definitely take part in a tournament represented by someone who threw a tantrum in the face of constructive criticism and went to great lengths to insult me. Is everyone from Hv like that?

As for the mod: Clearly I cannot argue against what you said because anyone who would disagree with you must be "too hard headed" and wouldn't "see reason no matter how well it is put", so why bother saying anything to the contrary if the collocutor, for whatever reason (oh the irony), rejects all counterarguments right away?

Like THIS!

Ping likes this

Like THIS!

Why are you guys double teaming. Ping saw something he PERSONALLY disliked and cried about it. 'Is this a joke' is all I needed. A NY server running JA+ has been voted the most logically sound choice for this. I am sorry if you guys wanted something else, but now you guys are just making a grudge match out of this for no reason. Yea, you cried about it not being euro base and I corrected you. No, not all Hv are like this because Hv contains people from every clan in JKA <3

Jeff likes this

Right, but he has the right to be hostile and condescending to people who give suggestions on how to improve the tournament? Likewise he could have taken the advice or left it, but no he had to insist on throwing a tantrum and calling names. Maybe that's how one does things in random JA+ clans or Hv, but on JKHub?

Right, but he has the right to be hostile and condescending to people who give suggestions on how to improve the tournament? Likewise he could have taken the advice or left it, but no he had to insist on throwing a tantrum and calling names. Maybe that's how one does things in random JA+ clans or Hv, but on JKHub?

Ping, please stop acting like your nose is clean here.. It is really getting on my nerves. I am one person, stop "condescending" (as you JUST did) Hv like I represent every one of our 40 members active. Please let me know how you have done nothing by re-reading your first post. I have nothing against you, however you came onto this topic basically calling everything about the tournament stupid. On top of which, every single chance you have had you have talked down about Hv.

If you had given CONSTRUCTIVE criticism instead of only worrying about yourself I would have taken it and left. However all you have done is insult myself, Hv and the tournament in general. I have said a few angry things towards you, however it was provoked and telling yourself otherwise will prove this post. CONSTRUCTIVE criticism would have been: Hey, this looks like a nice tournament however THIS THIS and THIS might make it better! Not: omg this is a JOKE right? This is unfair because euro ping. 

Anyways, as two forum mods have said: There isn't a magical server that EVERYONE in JKA will get similar pings. A NY hosted server is the absolute best we can do giving a general ping to ALL players of 80-100. Also, instead of going on and on about who is right or wrong (EVEN replying to this) if you really have done nothing wrong and just wanted to help, your opinion has been heard. There is no need to justify yourself anymore than you have. We get it, you don't like how it's set up. Nothing more need be said. 

I think Ping would appreciate it if we raised land in he middle of the Atlantic and hosted server there :D, fair ping for all :D

I am sorry, I didn't want to devalue siltation, I thought  a joke would enhance the mood.

This looks cool.

Are people allowed to be on there to train and not for just matches?

Jeff likes this

@: That would actually be a really good idea. The Americans have Midway Atoll and maybe Hawaii to connect with the Asians, we only have Iceland, which isn't a perfect solution either. But no, I was thinking of other ways to handle the problem. But seeing as constructive criticism is met with condescending hostility and insults, I'll keep it to myself.

@@Carbon: If by 'talking down on Hv' you mean having me associate them with you, then I guess I agree that this is a bit insulting. Sorry about that.

Carbon likes this

@: That would actually be a really good idea. The Americans have Midway Atoll and maybe Hawaii to connect with the Asians, we only have Iceland, which isn't a perfect solution either. But no, I was thinking of other ways to handle the problem. But seeing as constructive criticism is met with condescending hostility and insults, I'll keep it to myself.

@@Carbon: If by 'talking down on Hv' you mean having me associate them with you, then I guess I agree that this is a bit insulting. Sorry about that.

So you know we really did try to make this as even pinged as possible. We also have players from Brazil, Canada and other surrounding areas to worry about. A New York server was by far the best for connecting EU to USA as well as Canadians. Really the most left out groups are those from Mexico and below (pinging 130-150) and Asia (pinging about the same). Most americans ping from 20-100 (actually a LOT ping this) as well as EU pinging 50-120. It's as close as we are gonna get to a free hosted event :c. However the MORE people that partake and give these types of suggestions the more likely we will be to try and make the second tourny even more closely matched ^_^

This is a joke, right?

Dude, shut up and stop complaining.

Ping and Jeff like this