ohai

thund

Hi everyone,

I'm thµnd and I'm 22 years old, started playing this game in '06 and joined the ESL community in '07 (http://www.esl.eu/eu/jkja/tdm/ladder/player/2614966/). While I am not a coder, I came across your website while looking for proper protection against all the security issues of jka and eventually downloaded JASS from your website. I even got my server host nitrado to implement JASS as an optional package in their webinterface for JKA, so cheers for sharing this fix here!

I mainly joined this website to establish a better relationship between the people who know about coding (e.g. you :) and the competitive players on the ESL. We have had a couple of issues lately regarding both server security related topics and cheating, which pretty much opened my eyes to how vulnerable and ignorant we are on these issues, so I thought I might give it a shot and reach out to you guys for some help/advice. So far, JASS has helped alot already as far as I see it, but we might be able to change more for the better with your help. A little background information: ever since the glorious day of competitive gaming in JKA around '05-'08, activity has been steadily decreasing, and is actually not short of a miracle that our ESL section has survived for such a long period. Fixing the issues mentioned above could thus help us to keep the section from getting closed, as we are currently being evaluated again by the ESL head admins.

I have already contacted Wookiee, who introduced JASS on your website, via private message, but I don't know if he still active here. Caelum seems to know alot about security too, but his status says he is a retired founder, so I assume he is inactive, too. That being said, who would be a good person to contact apart from those two? Has anyone ever tried to reach out to aluigi? I recently got aware of his website, but I have no experience with his fixes (as far as I understand it, JASS covers all areas he focused on?).

I would be very happy about any feedback you guys can provide.

Cheers!

*Nod* I'm retired and I refuse to ever post in this forum again.

But in seriousness, I will murder anyone who asks me about JKA server things. OpenJK is the solution to all of your problems.

EDIT: Also, Circa's avatar looks like mine. Huh.

There are clear differences in our avatars...

Right?... :P

Hey caelum, which is better, old jka or openjk, LOLOLOL, ;)

*Nod* I'm retired and I refuse to ever post in this forum again.

But in seriousness, I will murder anyone who asks me about JKA server things. OpenJK is the solution to all of your problems.

EDIT: Also, Circa's avatar looks like mine. Huh.

ok, first of all thanks for replying at all :P

About OpenJK: well all I'm going to say is that we have that on one of our servers, and it feels like it fucked up the damage/block system. I know what you're going to say, me being a whiny ESL player and all that, but I really think it did :P JASS seems to be just fine though.

So lets say JASS/OpenJK covers all security issues (even though nove claims even open JK doesn't cover them all and he can still crash/hack the config easily). What I am alot more concerned with is the cheating, or to be more precise, people using the tool called lagunlocker. For those of you who haven't heard about that yet, it is a tool that unlocks your cvars while you run it so that you can increase the value of cl_timenudge over the vanilla boundaries of the game, which is -30. Increasing this value over its vanilla boundary gives you a pretty noticable advantage, as you hit much more directly, with less delay so to say. So I was wondering if it was possible to integrate something into JASS to prevent people from exploiting this cheat, or make a stand alone against it.

Any ideas? I actually got my hands on that tool a couple of days back, so I can send it to you guys to examine it.

tumblr_inline_mf952a6gDR1qhrs8f.gif

Right. OpenJK is what you should use. I don't remember the details about cl_timenudge, but that as well as the openjk damage changes might just be the "placebo" effect... in effect. Would have to do some tests to be sure. Please do send us the tool, we might already have it though =)

Oh and if you ever need direct help, you should contact @Xycaleth. This is totally not part of a prank where I push work onto him as revenge.

Circa likes this