Does this work with MBII?

Onysfx

Someone tried the mod with MB2 demos and it crashed their game. But I am not sure if it happened because that user installed the mod wrong or it just does not support.

As far as I know MB2 is rewritten much thus it has few chances to play demos in jaMME.

But let's wait what Deviance or someone else will tell. Like.. official statement.

• 9 months later...

Bump for great justice. :) I'm a big fan of pugMOD and I wish this new version was compatible with MB2.

If I'm correct, pugMOD's compatibility for MB2 had to be done via making a special build for MB2 itself after integrating pugMOD's code in MB2's code. Any chance of such collaboration happening again? :) There are multiple enthusiastic video makers in MB2 community (yours truly included, check my YouTube *cough*) who would very much appreciate jaMME's cool features. :winkthumb:

Onysfx likes this

@lervish, I wanted to make it compatible, and even asked a user @Onysfx to post about it on MB2 forums to attract MB2 users so they could ask MB2 developers give me come codes. But it was ignored so I could not make anything.

On MB2 forum: http://community.moviebattles.com/threads/39692-Jamme-for-MBII?p=777239

If you want it so much, then contact to developers and ask them to provide me some codes. I don't know other solution... Oh yeah, they can always make it as their own feature since the code of jaMME is opened.

I personally prefer adopting jaMME for MB2 than visa-versa.

@lervish, I wanted to make it compatible, and even asked a user @Onysfx to post about it on MB2 forums to attract MB2 users so they could ask MB2 developers give me come codes. But it was ignored so I could not make anything.

On MB2 forum: http://community.moviebattles.com/threads/39692-Jamme-for-MBII?p=777239

If you want it so much, then contact to developers and ask them to provide me some codes. I don't know other solution... Oh yeah, they can always make it as their own feature since the code of jaMME is opened.

I personally prefer adopting jaMME for MB2 than visa-versa.

Lerv is a MB2 developer. It wasn't ignored. There are concerns internally about giving source code out to someone we don't know that well. That isn't to say the work you have done isn't adequate or done well or anything because this mod is amazing and I would love to use it. We just have trust issues. Plus the issue of updating what you have with releases, or what you do to upgrade jamme if it goes the opposite route. Would an API be better so that it didn't require rebuilding every time there is releases?

@MaceMadunusus, the main parts of the mod are cgame and the engine (split to renderer DLL and rest in EXE). The engine provides new demo player and some new trap calls aka new API. Cgame gives some demo control feature and features for moviemaking. All new trap calls are added to the end of list so the engine should be backward compatible (just as a replacement for jamp). I tried to use it as just playable engine with JA+ mod but there was some errors on ghoul2 part when I was connecting to a server. I did not debug it enough because it wasn't my goal to make it fully backward compatible but I can dig into it deeper if necessary.

The engine and cgame are mostly base-like. I did not add something incompatible. But cgame has a lot of additions and important bug fixes. There are some mod detectors for japlus, base_enhanced(in new incoming version), NT(in joMME) etc. So I thought I could get only cgame part from MB2 to look what I can use to make it compatible.

The releases I make usually include some changes in both cgame and the engine.

The source is opened, so if I add compatibility for MB2 demos in the mod then I think it should go public partially. But if you want to keep top secret then I could probably only temporary "join" MB2 devs team and add some changes to cgame part of code. It will be also playable and support new demo player because there are mostly additions. You can of course make it by your own, but I probably need to explain many details.

There's a good reason why the MB2 dev team has preferred not to share its source code publicly. It's because of the mod's gameplay that makes it very vulnerable to cheating (wallhacks, aimbots), and we have had our fair cheaters during the years. If the code was public, developing cheats would most likely be much easier.

If it was possible to make jaMME compatible with MB2 from within the MB2 dev team like you mentioned I'm sure it wouldn't be in vain. :) The features are a huge improvement over pugMOD which, despite its bugginess, has been quite popular among MB2 community's video editors.

>> replace player shaders with ones that glow through walls

hi guise I am 1337 hax0r loel

Not really sure if giving out source is really going to cause that many issues. Wallhacks don't even require coding and aimbots from Q3 can be easily modified to work with MB2. I think keeping things closed source is more problem than protection. But there are many elemts to this, I know.

There's a good reason why the MB2 dev team has preferred not to share its source code publicly. It's because of the mod's gameplay that makes it very vulnerable to cheating (wallhacks, aimbots), and we have had our fair cheaters during the years. If the code was public, developing cheats would most likely be much easier.

If it was possible to make jaMME compatible with MB2 from within the MB2 dev team like you mentioned I'm sure it wouldn't be in vain. :) The features are a huge improvement over pugMOD which, despite its bugginess, has been quite popular among MB2 community's video editors.

I am not complaining or blaming anyone for keeping the source closed.

>> replace player shaders with ones that glow through walls

My idea always was to make shaders that make all walls semi-transparent.

Is me 13373|2?

Omicron likes this

For reverse engineers, it doesn't really matter whether the source is closed or not. When you have the MBII client executing code on your own computer, you have the code.

There was a hobby project by a guy called Owen a while ago (I'm sure you know) just to play around and tinker with reverse engineering MBII to add features to it. Having the source closed doesn't stop people who care enough to tinker.

/rant

For reverse engineers, it doesn't really matter whether the source is closed or not. When you have the MBII client executing code on your own computer, you have the code.

There was a hobby project by a guy called Owen a while ago (I'm sure you know) just to play around and tinker with reverse engineering MBII to add features to it. Having the source closed doesn't stop people who care enough to tinker.

/rant

gj at calling me a shit programmer. :(

Eez and Didz are both right. You can cheat and do all of those things without access to code. 

MBII source stuff isn't just about security, so remember that. That was just an example. Also, Owen was a massive douche.

Ent, were in the process of upgrading the site slowly (only happens on weekdays) so the forums are slightly broken right now. So no internal discussion is going on atm regarding this due to that. I will say this though, while it doesnt guarantee anything, applying for the team directly to get jaMME working is likely the fastest way to go though certainly not the only route. We have had developers on before for short periods of time for short tasks. However, staying away from engine mods is likely the best thing from an inside point of view as it may mess with any OpenJK compatibility already existing. You would have to talk to Eez about that though, since he is the one who added that.

@MaceMadunusus, I thought a bit more and ended up with that the best thing I could do is to make some additions in CGAME part of MB2. So I will add mme mod compatibility there, and then leave it as is for main developers, all they'd need to do is only to check my repository from time to time with new changes in jaMME CGAME part and update their MB2 CGAME. So all users will use original CGAME of mme, but MB2 users will have to replace it with their specific one. Rest elements (engine+renderer and ui) should work fine indepedently.

@MaceMadunusus, I thought a bit more and ended up with that the best thing I could do is to make some additions in CGAME part of MB2. So I will add mme mod compatibility there, and then leave it as is for main developers, all they'd need to do is only to check my repository from time to time with new changes in jaMME CGAME part and update their MB2 CGAME. So all users will use original CGAME of mme, but MB2 users will have to replace it with their specific one. Rest elements (engine+renderer and ui) should work fine indepedently.

Thats no problem, already has to be done with Pugmod. Since this is more featured, we could just phase out pugmod entirely if they require essentially the same thing. Might be nice to PM us if there is updates though, or have an official thread on the forums once it is implemented to remind us of updates. We don't pay attention to JKHub or even the githubs of most jka mods as much as we probably should due to all of us having a limited amount of time.

Pugmod works differently. I wanted to base q3mme port on pugmod at first but ended that everything has to be done from scratch.

@MaceMadunusus, so how to contact or what?

Unknown at this time due to our forums being in an iffy state while in the conversion process from a very old version of vbulletin. I'm not a coder, so I wouldn't be the one dealing with it directly.

Unknown at this time due to our forums being in an iffy state while in the conversion process from a very old version of vbulletin. I'm not a coder, so I wouldn't be the one dealing with it directly.

Then maybe some private IRC? Forum does not sound productive for me.