Ice Station Wampa

An update: 

I've got all my missing textures squared up for the first map. Models, npcs, and scripts all seem to be where they belong. It appears some entities are targeted to the wrong entities which is kinda odd. So, that will all need to be sorted out. Friday I'll work on getting shaders transferred over and hopefully get to run in it in JA for the first time. Its all going pretty well so far.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got the first map ( Rodian Base ) compiled and running in Jedi Academy. Looks really good and I think a bit better than in Jedi Outcast. 

For those who have actually played it I added a new room to the start and a new way to get out of the temple area to the outer base. Right now I am working on the sewer area of this map and doing some redesign with the ladders in this area. Probably an elevator or two. The Rodian office ( where you get a key ) also went on a bit of cosmetic change. 

Here is an image of the new room in the Temple area. This was made where the ladder went to the surface. Instead, its got some crates and a beam resting on the Horned Statue Guy's throne and then you hop on a ledge, then up another ledge, then you are on the surface.

NFbHmgg.jpg

Smoo, therfiles and Wasa like this

Rodian Outpost, the first level of my project is playable from start to finish. This doesn't mean everything works but it means the gameplay (IE, Important Stuff ) works. The two keys open their respective locked doors. Npc's spawn and do what they are supposed to. Well, except for the mine monsters. They spawned as stormtroopers which is funny. Elevators go up and down, buttons work, doors open.

I still have to fix several more missing shaders or shaders that don't want to turn off and on as they did with JO. The opening crawl doesn't work yet, it just spawns the JA one. I have to get the objectives to work as well. Finally, lighting seems different. Darker, actually. I have to up the light value entities a bit. 

Oh yeah, and is it possible to get JO items to work in JA? Light Googles are something I really need.

Bek likes this
  • 4 weeks later...

Alright. Apologize for lack of updates but map 1 is now pretty much completed. The opening crawl works now. I've also gone through and did some lighting and texture changes to give the map a bit more uniform look. You'll have to play it as I don't want to show too many images. The one ladder has been replaced with an elevator and the other ladder shaft is just closed. I'll just replace the other ladders with elevators where possible. I miss the ladders, personally. 

I still have door switch shaders that work in JO but not in JA but that is a problem across all 6 maps. 

Briefings and Mission Objectives will be done at the end of this conversion process.

Map 2 will be started this weekend. I know I said no major changes but I have to go back on this just in this level. I never really like the transition from the end of level 1/ Start of level 2 ( little warehouse area) and then you open up into this larger one. After some time and thinking about this that larger, second warehouse, the one with the overhead crane, is going away. This section will be more similar to the start of level 2 and a bit smaller and tighter. The transition from this area through the ductwork above the garbage chute will still be there, though. I might also have two ways to get waste treatment area of the map and you can come in from the sealed door across from the garbage chute as well.

So that is it for now.

therfiles, Noodle and Jeff like this

Map 2 ( waste treatment area ) is not as bad as I have thought.  With the exception of remaking the warehouse areas match a bit more and running new ductwork to crawl through ( I never liked the original idea) its all Nar Shaddaa textures from JO that i need to import over. Most of the shaders missing are yellow lights which, again, just need importing over. Outside of the new construction, 1 elevator shaft to replace a ladder, this is about it. I'm hoping to get some shots of the new warehouse part up Sunday. 

Wasa likes this

Here is the re-designed warehouse area in the beginning of map 2. It should have been 100% done by now but golf, free HBO Now on Roku, and sleep have impacted that. 

I still have to add the cargo crates, add some light entities to illuminate the ceiling a bit, and put some pipes in which I am doing right now. I kept much of the scheme of the first

warehouse area when you come down the big lift which I should have done originally. I'll try and add more images tonight.

abmkU43.jpg

therfiles likes this

I'm about 3/4 through map 2 right now and have played it all the way through to the last ladder before the tram area ( for those who played it before). The first ladder I just cautioned taped off so you'll have to find a new way down to the lower walkway. Everything else runs as it should but I have been going through and changing some textures and lighting. 

For those of you that played this the large ooze pool after the control room will be a bit different. This is because I have to remove the last ladder and have some sort of elevator up. So, there will be a small redesign there as well as a different path for the player. Again, not huge, but, I always wondered to myself where all this toxic waste came from from such a small operation.  :D  So, that'll be fixed.

Good news is that I have, in this map, 2 or 3 door switch shaders that work so I have to go back and fix those issues in the first map.

Here is the final shot of the new warehouse from a different angle. Decided against anything computer wise on the small platform. It looks alright as is.

biirVvf.jpg

Langerd, yeyo JK and Wasa like this

Still working on map 2 with the route change thanks to the ladders and stuff. I decided to add in a garbage grinder to the map. Map 2 needed this and it'll make the flow of things a bit better as well. Here is a shot from a test map that rotates and stuff. Two will be put together and them I'm making a housing for it. It'll look really neat when done. 

JjelFIJ.jpg

Langerd, Dark_Reaper, Smoo and 5 others like this
  • 4 weeks later...

So, I am still working on map 2. Been more difficult than I thought trying to add something new to this map. Good news is the stairwell area is done and I'm nearly finished with a bottomless pit room that has quite a few large pipes snaking around each other and a catwalk along two sides of the room. Its not compiled yet but it should turn out well.

This room will then be connected to the trash grinder room and then I just have to connect that room with the original map. Then, finish the vat area where the slime waterfall was and then connect that to the upper levels of the original map.

The good news is that I'm very happy with how the rest of the maps played and were designed so that should only be textures/shaders and re-doing ladders to elevators.

Noodle and Wasa like this

Here are some images of the new section, unfinished. I cut and pasted lights from elsewhere and forgot to change the radius so its a bit red! However, you can see stuff. The railing still isn't finished (top handle) but this leads to an archway to a stairwell to the original map. This is all transition area. I also wanted to make an arch so I did. Used a bevel, then made brushes and cut along with bevel as a guide so its all brushes. Easier to texture.

RY0XIJI.jpg

Here's a bit wider shot. The two tank like textures will probably change. 

m3gZjWd.jpg

Kuhe, Wasa and Noodle like this

Started working on the re-design of the big pool of green goo room. Instead of one large tank taking up the floor its now four separate vats. The big air purifier with the goo pipe pouring into the pool is now gone. This goo will flow from 4 pipes above each vat. There are 2 large tanks where that was. The whole room has been redone but I haven't compiled yet. I'm still adding more pipes and the designing the ventilation ducts.

Hope to get a compile before the weekend.

therfiles likes this

Got some basic lights and did a quick compile. There are 4 vats, above each vat is like a "fume collector" or something. The pipes lead from a large tank behind the player and the goo will pour out of those pipes hanging down. Look in left glass from control room. You can see it hanging down. There are large ironlike pillars on the walls and they'll have lights as well so that'll illuminate the vats better.

This is just to give you guys an idea of what I've been working on since Monday.

0RB0ICe.jpg

Wasa likes this
  • 2 weeks later...

That's awesome! Love this map's progress. Keep it up!  :)

Thanks. changes are still being made so i think in this image the lights got a bit larger and the area below the catwalk now has fake doors and lights and some crates. You can't go there anyway but if you look down there is something.

Anyhow, been working a bit nightly since last update. I just finished the transition from waste treatment area to the imperial area and that looks great in Radiant. Instead of an elevator I made stairs, a jumping puzzle (easy), and another air duct now connect the area with the vats to the imperial transistiony part.

I STILL have to make the room with the grinder thing which should be started Saturday. Stll have some holes so I can't compile yet but should have images tomorrow night. 

As of now the map is sealed ( after numerous leaks). That is what you get when you work on a bit here and a bit there and forgot where you left off. At any rate, here is the only image I can show you as its finished, minus lowering the lighting a bit so the spotlights on the banners show better. This is the room from the grungy, waste treatment plant and right before the tram and the start of the Imperial part of the base. Where I am standing looks like the opposite end of the room just with no stairs.

I redid a few areas but they need better lights before images are posted so this is it.

hGKSPCC.jpg

Jeff, k4far and Wasa like this

Here's a shot of the new "vat" area from the control room. Now, if you look under the catwalk that is the walkway you can't walk on and is just there for ambiance or whatever. This angle, with the improved lighting, lets you see a bit more. 

geoKIGx.jpg

Wasa likes this

This image here is the corner of the "ambush hallway" before the elevator to the green vat room. Its where if you crouch behind those crates to defend yourself two stormtroopers run in from where you came about 5 seconds later to blindside you.

Just Changed textures and some lighting.

0uE1HP3.jpg

Instead of having that dull, open hallway before the control room i just made this little L shaped area. The elevator is to the right hidden by the wall.

TT0oToi.jpg

Bek likes this

As of now map 2 is sealed and all new rooms are connected to old rooms and stuff. SO, the map is now completed structurally. I did way more re-texturing and slight changes across the map and its way better looking than in the original.  I have to make some doors, add some npcs and some other detail here and there. Lights. Need those in some areas.The bad news is that the grinder thing I wanted to put is removed. It would have taken up too much area where I initially had wanted it. Basically, it was cut for time. It is saved so I may use it in a future project.

This map was one i wasn't really happy with overall when i initially made it all. The new sections and resdesign of some old stuff helps a bit albeit pushing back its release.  I honestly don't believe I'll have this issue with maps 3-6 since much like map 1 were pretty much what i wanted, just eliminating ladders.

Some progress.

Map 2 is on hold for the moment since I have to think about some new NPC placements and get them scripted. I may even try again the waypoint system in these new areas to just see if I can get it to work.

Anyhow, maps 3 and 5 I just got finished going through and ALL textures have been fixed! This is good news. Most missing textures got replaced with similar ones so it all looks good and is done. I do have to replace the ladders with elevators but other than that they require no more work.

Map 4 has a bit more missing textures and 2 ladders to replace. I may have to add an extra room but that should be all. 

Did not open up map 6 yet but I am figuring its all texture related.