rd-rend2 (old thread)

eezstreet

At the moment I'm just going around and fixing minor things up. It's kind of disappointing that nobody (at least not that I've seen) has created any content for ioq3's rend2 so I'll take the leap of faith and say it's "usable" and that you can start producing rend2 content.

I'm still not sure how backwards compatibility will work but we'll see :P

DT. and Archangel35757 like this

Oh man super excited for this, everyone working on it is doing a great job.

Just a quick question and apologies if its been posted already (its such a big topic I'v probably missed it : ( )

Was wondering if anyone has got an example for a shader that incorporates normal, specular and gloss maps, compiled?

Here's an example of a shader which uses diffuse, normal, specular and gloss:

textures/rend2/example
{
  {
    stage diffuseMap
    map textures/rend2/example_d
  }
  {
    stage normalMap
    map textures/rend2/example_n
  }
  {
    stage specularMap
    map textures/rend2/example_s // This actually holds both specular and gloss (in the alpha channel)
  }
}

I can upload example textures as well when I get home.

I really want to condense this down to something more concise though. Something like this perhaps:

textures/rend2/example {
  diffuseMap textures/rend2/example_d
  normalMap textures/rend2/example_n
  specularMap textures/rend2/example_s
}
Scerendo likes this

Another thing, @@Psyk0Sith, do you have any displacement maps that you used to render Kain? If so I'd like to have them to see if any shader could be set up. I know, I know, I never released the model, I ran into some LOD and weight issues. Got lazy and didn't wanna release it until it was fixed but I swear once I have the time I'm gonna fix then release it lol.

Here's an example of a shader which uses diffuse, normal, specular and gloss:

textures/rend2/example
{
  {
    stage diffuseMap
    map textures/rend2/example_d
  }
  {
    stage normalMap
    map textures/rend2/example_n
  }
  {
    stage specularMap
    map textures/rend2/example_s // This actually holds both specular and gloss (in the alpha channel)
  }
}

I can upload example textures as well when I get home.

I really want to condense this down to something more concise though. Something like this perhaps:

textures/rend2/example {
  diffuseMap textures/rend2/example_d
  normalMap textures/rend2/example_n
  specularMap textures/rend2/example_s
}

That's great thank you!

Another thing, @@Psyk0Sith, do you have any displacement maps that you used to render Kain? If so I'd like to have them to see if any shader could be set up. I know, I know, I never released the model, I ran into some LOD and weight issues. Got lazy and didn't wanna release it until it was fixed but I swear once I have the time I'm gonna fix then release it lol.

Well no, since it was not baked from a high poly model, it could be faked with something like crazybump but doesn't always produce good results.

DT. likes this

@@Xycaleth : here you go https://www.dropbox.com/s/fqz72sdesxej7ch/HUGEDL44.pk3?dl=0 as of now it's still uploading since the textures are all in 2k and uncompressed 24 bit TGAs

did not get the at-st ready yet  but I got the humansize DL44 done

includes :

DL44_rend2_d.tga - diffuse with Transparency in Alpha

DL44_rend2_s.tga - Specular with Gloss in Alpha

DL44_rend2_n.tga - Normal with height/displacement/Parallax in Alpha

@@Psyk0Sith instead of using crazy bump I'd trace the important features in substance painter - effectively "paint-sculpting" a normal map on the lowpoly mesh

@@Xycaleth about the rend2 gloss maps - common setup ? white is glossy, black is dull ?

I usually prefer to do real sculpts instead. Painting is better suited for surface details.

I usually prefer to do real sculpts instead. Painting is better suited for surface details.

usually - yes but in this case you allready have a textured lowpoly mesh and getting details to match between a new sculpt and that lowpoly is a pain in the ass

The DLL44 looks quite shiny. I expect it's not meant to be that shiny :P

shot2015-07-21_19-35-27.png

shot2015-07-21_19-35-37.png

But soon after I toned the values down a bit (probably not correct to do this, but as a quick hack). I expect it's because Surface Designer (I think that's what @@AshuraDX used for the textures?) uses a different lighting model from rend2...

shot2015-07-21_19-43-32.png

shot2015-07-21_19-43-21.png

shot2015-07-21_19-42-50.png

So there are some extra changes I can make so it looks more correct, but it would make existing JKA assets look wrong. I need a way to make both work...

Langerd, Boothand, Smoo and 1 other like this