rd-rend2 (old thread)

eezstreet

I think my idea and Xycaleth's are the best. What you're asking for here is really impossible.

Impossible? I wonder how they made that video then using OpenGL ...hmm

I'm really not sure of what I'm asking... can rend2 project a caustic light pattern so that it shows up on whatever is "drawn beneath" it in the rendering layers/stages?

What you're asking for as a solution is basically utterly impossible without restructuring the engine in ways that would break backwards mod compatibility.

I have an alternative idea. Add a new field to the worldspawn which controls global water fog color. It wouldn't be good if there's multiple different colors of water, but very few maps would take issue with this.

In theory wouldn't it be possible to have two versions of OpenJK, one with the water left unchanged for backwards mod compatibility and another with a hard-coded change for future mods to use? Although I highly doubt it's worth the extra amount of effort to do that.

If I understand you correctly eezstreet, what you're saying is in the event that someone changed the worldspawn global water fog color to green it would look odd if someone also used blue water within the map (as it would still be green underneath)? As you said that would probably be a very rare issue, in-fact I'm not sure I've ever seen a map with multiple colors of water used at the same time.

What I'd really like to know is if it would be possible to code in lightsabers to work underwater. Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 allowed this and it can be used (in SP) for some unique gameplay elements. 

In theory wouldn't it be possible to have two versions of OpenJK, one with the water left unchanged for backwards mod compatibility and another with a hard-coded change for future mods to use? Although I highly doubt it's worth the extra amount of effort to do that.

If I understand you correctly eezstreet, what you're saying is in the event that someone changed the worldspawn global water fog color to green it would look odd if someone also used blue water within the map (as it would still be green underneath)? As you said that would probably be a very rare issue, in-fact I'm not sure I've ever seen a map with multiple colors of water used at the same time.

What I'd really like to know is if it would be possible to code in lightsabers to work underwater. Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 allowed this and it can be used (in SP) for some unique gameplay elements.

This guy gets it.

If the field isn't specified in the worldspawn, it could revert to the default color. No need for two versions. Or this behavior could be cvared.

Edited by eezstreet

Lightsabers already work underwater, just add the line

onInWater        1

in the .sab file. There's a whole lot of these lines to achieve the most various results, from playing an animation when activating the lightsaber, to restricting certain Force powers, etc.

But how would Cgame get this information from a water Shader to properly define the parameter hcolor?

cgame doesn't have access to this information. As soon as you bring cgame into the mix then rend2 has to start relying on a specific behaviour set by cgame and it's not going to be something I'm going to consider at all.
eezstreet likes this

I think I can solve all of these problems right now.

We simply need to make rend2 detect a variable set by cgame for whether or not to draw fancy water effects, then implement the fancy water effects from Unreal Engine 4 and, while we're at it, the rest of Unreal Engine 4's graphics system. 

Shouldn't take long since we have @@Scooper

#ScooperPlz

No.

(Also I guess I'll have to read this entire topic later, THANKS A LOT FOR SUMMONING ME :()

DT85, Xycaleth, eezstreet and 1 other like this

FWIW OpenJK's cgame already supports having specific values in the worldspawn in cg_spawn.c.  You can also look for entities or values in the renderer too afaik which is already done for misc_cubemaps.

Don't get your hopes up though as it would likely be an entire map specific setting rather than per water pool etc.

So this really highlights the importance of using texture compression. In the screenshot in my previous post, texture compression wasn't enabled. Here's a new screenshot with texture compression enabled.

shot2015-08-02_12-51-45.jpg

You can see that we get roughly 70% savings in texture memory usage :) And don't forget that all the models have to be stored as well and they use quite a bit of memory too!

minilogoguy18, Exmirai and Scooper like this
  • 2 weeks later...

Could add a cvar for low/high, for people's preference. I'll then add it to my rend2 menu.

Any updates on that weird normal issue with ghoul2 models? Look at that "showing everything as normals" thing you had me do, then have a look at the player models. Instead of having smooth normals all over, there are some areas that have borked normals. This is randomised like the black triangles were.

Archangel35757 likes this

The code you gave me didn't do what it did last time (doesn't load normal textures, just showed the model normals), but have a look at the MD3 (left) & GLM (right) comparsion:

2wci8tx.jpg

The MD3 version (left) is how it should look. As you can see on the GLM, some things do not match and are inverted. The shader & textures are the same, and the MD3 is loaded as a static. Examples are the back of the helmet, small pockets on the bag & the ass. Flipping the normals helps some areas, but inverts others so it's of no use. Something is going on with the ghoul2 normals...

Xycaleth likes this