rd-rend2 (old thread)

eezstreet

That page doesn't list your graphics card or your driver :P I think the next tab is for video/graphics card?

Haha sorry, don't know how I missed that part of your question. I thought I was gonna show you my processor. Crazy days.

My graphics card is Nvidia geforce GTS 250. The driver section of Caps Viewer says "R335.23 (r334_89-21) / 9.18.13.3523 (3-4-2014)".

gpu.png

You can't use Milkshape, it has no way to arrange a hierarchy, otherwise it would work.

He should just not use it, it's not a good program other than just being able to import/export a lot of file types.

inb4 hurr durr xsi is bestest!!11!

Guest KENNITHH

Ok cheers guys for all the info, he remembered he regrouped his models in 3dsmax but didn't remember it went so much easier.  :D

Now something related to rend2, will the models (misc and static) consume less FPS so us mappers can make use of more models like modern games do or will it just stay like it is?

Or just in general, will the FPS boost a little or to early to tell?

This might be another good reason for people to use Rend2

While I can't say how it works, or if it's consistent, the map I'm working on gives me 40-50 fps on vanilla, and 160-180 fps-ish on rend2. I have many pine tree models, which probably help pulling down the fps in vanilla. I expected rend2 to be more fps intensive really, but in this case it was the other way around.

You can make MD3 (and I think other formats like ASE) as misc_model which get turned into BSP map brushwork when you compile the level. They can use diffuse, normalmap (most likely parallax as well, but I haven't tested it on misc_models) & specular. So you could do the basic shape (walls, floors, ceilings) of your map in radiant, and leave details to misc_model.

@@Boothand

Did you add LODs to those pine tree's?

Guest KENNITHH

You can make MD3 (and I think other formats like ASE) as misc_model which get turned into BSP map brushwork when you compile the level. They can use diffuse, normalmap (most likely parallax as well, but I haven't tested it on misc_models) & specular. So you could do the basic shape (walls, floors, ceilings) of your map in radiant, and leave details to misc_model.

@@Boothand

Did you add LODs to those pine tree's?

I was thinking of making a terrain in another program, save it as a model or make a terrain with easygen or something and then just fill it up with preset models, somewhat like the idea of Skyrim, Battlefield and Crysis but when I did it, my fps always go so low... (misc_model)

I hoped that Rend2 might fix it.

For your future reference, I tried making a desert in JKA by inserting a misc_model or a misc_model_static with a gigantic md3 mesh. The results were really interesting.

With the _static, the model disappeared frequently due to the way static models are culled from view. It also disappeared if I travelled far from it's origin. The real killer was also the vertex mapping, which just sucks.

The misc_model was more fascinating. Because of the amount of lightmapping required, I actually caused a bug in the game which I've been able to reproduce in just about any map as long as there is enough light data being compiled. That is too much light data is saved to the BSP and the game has serious visual errors, such as transparent textures, black textures, black MENUS (yes it's THE ENTIRE game, not just map surfaces! :D), entirely wrong colors in menus (green text instead of yellow), or my favourite effect: Every single surface takes on the image of the first frame when you spawn in, so it goes all green with the protection bubble. That is really, really cool to look at. Here are some examples:

OJd7iGn.jpg

1GdXBv4.jpg

iksduwE.png

These limits are not hard to hit :D

Stoiss and Boothand like this

They aren't removed so much as not implemented, its what still has issues with the lightmap code afaik.

--

I've disabled the surface sprite dumb rendering in rend2 for now.  As in it pretends like r_surfaceSprites is set to 0.  So you don't end up with grass strands just flat on the ground an such.