rd-rend2 (old thread)

eezstreet

This thread is out of date, please look to the new one instead.

https://github.com/eezstreet/OpenJK/commits/rend2

rd-rend2 is a new renderer (currently) for JKA Multiplayer which has a variety of new features:

• Modern shading engine
  • Normal maps
  • New shaders which are loaded via .mtr files

We are currently working on getting rend2 up to snuff with JKA's multiplayer features. Please do not request new features for this renderer.

Clearly you both have misunderstood how a modular renderer works.  Those features still work fine if you dont change the renderer.

He simply means, those won't be re-implemented in the new renderer right now as they're not as necessary and glow can be replaced with other effects that look and perform better.

eezstreet likes this

Clearly you both have misunderstood how a modular renderer works.  Those features still work fine if you dont change the renderer.

He simply means, those won't be re-implemented in the new renderer right now as they're not as necessary and glow can be replaced with other effects that look and perform better.

Still not understanding why you wouldn't want it re-implemented...(other then it means more work).  I mean sure it sux compared to other effects.

JKG Developer

Besides, dglow in JKA doesn't support per-shader controls for it (all the controls that are in r_dynamicglow* ) which basically makes it a one-size-fits-all-but-poorly solution for making glowy things. Plus it looks terrible on thin objects that are seen on an angle and has all sorts of artifacts.

Also.. it's not exactly dynamic. In fact it's pretty linear. Bloom is much more dynamic, it responds to everything on the screen at once and changes when the visuals do.

Yes that is the point. dynamic glow is obsolete and done very poorly, so it would get replaced with similar effect.  Weather would most likely be redone to be more optimized and not shoving raw GL calls like it currently does.

I get it.  I just don't see why you'd go through the trouble to remove that feature, if you can just make it disabled instead...

JKG Developer

Not removed if it doesn't exist to begin with.

Oh I thought you meant taking jka's dynamic glow out entirely.  I guess when you replace the render you have to remove jka's entirely to "make room" for rd-rend2 (so to speak).

In that case, carry on.

JKG Developer

Oh I thought you meant taking jka's dynamic glow out entirely.  I guess when you replace the render you have to remove jka's entirely to "make room" for rd-rend2 (so to speak).

In that case, carry on.

It never really existed. rd-rend2 never HAD dynamic glow, that's specific to rd-vanilla.

DT85 likes this