Star Wars Rebels

that's a stupid quizz, questions like, what is your favourite weapon - double bladed saber that rotates around itself - or - a lightsaber thats also a blaster!! LOL
gee I wonder how hard it is to get the Sith Inquisitor as the answer.... or Kanan or anything else you really really want...

Sithani and Bek like this

In one of the episodes the Mandalorian chick is going vs a bunch of stormtroopers. She literally does nothing but jumps around, stands for 10 seconds, says something to them, doesn't get shot, repeat. There are similar instances with Zeb, where he uses melee against 10 armed stormtroopers, and is absolutely confident from the beginning that he won't get shot. How can this shit be taken seriously?

@hleV

Don't forget the rule of stormtrooper (or trooper effect). Similar question rises, when we see stormtroopers trying to shoot Luke and Leia in Episode IV.

Plus take into account, that this is an animation. There are dozens of rules on the market, which forbid or restrict the authors to show certain things in the show. You might say, that there are animated series showing direct shots and other things. Yes, but they fall into different categories of people. who watch that. They are also broadcast on a different channel and at a different time for respective auditorium.

Star Wars is a family-friendly franchise for the most part and has always been. Of course there are exceptions, showing things, which are not suitable for minors. One of the reasons, why we don't see too much of blood in SW, and scenes with cut limbs, heads are also never the close shot in any movie. Only in some instances we see this, and violence is of only reasonable level in Star Wars (try Starship Troopers for comparison).

Rebels are for the new generation of SW fans, mostly the younger ones, though I know people of OT loyalty :), who enjoyed Rebels in a way, they've never treated The Clone Wars for instance. The restrictions like 16+ would bring the downfall of the popularity and infuriate various commissions, while people would never stop watching such thing even under forbiding, because it's Star Wars.

Sabine, "the Mandalorian chick", and Zeb are often successful in being victorious over Imperials, while the enemies shoot and miss. This is what falls under the above mentioned rules, and not that the authors haven't thought that through. 

This can or cannot be taken seriously, but the story is of a narrative style and close to myths and legends. How foolish is the death of Achilles during the battle of Troy? How unrealistic is the heroic story of Gilgamesh? What kind of seriousness do you expect from stories, which most people consider to be fairy tales?

Some blood is actually shown in Return of the Jedi when Leia gets shoot in the shoulder from a stormtrooper if you look carefully. A New Hope also counts because of limited special effects in the 70's.Blame the helmet and the recoil from the E-11 if it has one.The show itself is one of those shows that grows on you after a while.

We got a deluxe decapacitation scene where the goofhead officers are (thankfully) killed off.

But at the same time all the comedy/funny scenes have too much jar-jar in them.

The show is aimed for kids no doubt but it doesn't maintain the uniform balance that allows it to be enjoyed by multiple age groups. I think season 2 will improve on this.

Onysfx likes this

@DrXann

It is not the same, but it is worth mentioning. :) This are not counted as violent wounds, all the attention is driven away by other things, which aggravate the scene more than a puddle of blood on cantina's floor.

I agree with the idea, that the young people, starting watching Rebels, will grow and in time the show will develop into something else. TCW came through this - Season 1 shows adventurous missions of the Jedi, where counting destroyed battle droids goes side by side with the current goals. Everything is pretty much black and white, droids, Dooku, Grievous and Ventress are the bad guys and can be dealt with only in one manner. Anakin, Obi Wan and others - are the good ones, they deserve being victorious in the war, which is seen from the perspective of a teenager rather than a mature military leader: war is never truly fun.

Episode IV and Episode V are another example. I tried them with people, unfamiliar with Star Wars. They felt A New Hope to be at least boring, if not stupid and plotless, but this changes as they are introduced to Episode V. It's not just the philosophy, drama and Shakespeare's motives, which captivate them in Empire Strikes back, but it's the larger perspective, also offered by this episode regarding the past events in Episode IV. The people grow up together with what they watch.

I am not a fan of Harry Potter, but after looking into this franchise, I understood, that J.Rowling actually follows the same path. In one of her speeches she said, that maturing is one of the most important aspects in her books and she doesn't coincide with С.S. Lewis (Chronicles of Narnia), who kept his heroes in their childhood until the end of the stories. She is not entirely right, because actually the first book was The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and the story divides the world quite strictly into black and white (even though characters do ask the question who is really bad and who is good, doubting that both sides tell the truth about their respective leaders). But later books (one of them is actually a prequel) shows that nothing is that simple, and thus the reader re-evaluates the events in the books (the same happened to me in case of Episodes V and IV).

Season 1 most likely depicts the way Ezra feels about his small world - he lives on Lothal and knows injustices, but keeps to himself, closing his path to minor ideas and goals in much larger Galaxy. Even though his personal tragedies are justified, he knows yet nothing of true cruelties. Season 2 is most likely to reveal more complex problems in his life, unknown truths, unexpected doubts and lots of other things. Season 2 will change that.

I hope they visit some other planet besides Lothal. Mustafar doesn't count since it was in orbit  neither does the outpost.From the look of Season 2's concept art Prototype A-wings, Pilots, a Commander Character(Sato), and the Corvette Carrier ship will probably play some role in Season 2.

Occassionally they add new planets, like that industrial Imperial world, where Maketh Tua is travelling to.

In TCW there were dozens of new locations. And one of the senators was representing Taris in the Galactic Senate, so we might see more of that in new season.

I doubt Rebels' animation and rendering will ever match up to TCW's, unfortunately. With Rebels, it's like I can always tell it's not real. But in TCW, there are strange moments where the anims and rendering looks so accomplished that it suddenly looks like real life. It's hard to explain, but it was impressive.

Sithani and Cerez like this

@hleV

Don't forget the rule of stormtrooper (or trooper effect). Similar question rises, when we see stormtroopers trying to shoot Luke and Leia in Episode IV.

It's ridiculous that you would be making such a comparison. The events in movies and SWR are different like day and night. In the movies they were actually putting effort into not getting shot. Jumping around for the lulz and standing still just to say some stupid line to people who are 10 meters away shooting at you is not something even remotely close to what happened in the movies. 

Everything else you wrote is pretty much bullshit as well. "Rules"? There's a difference between not showing chopped off heads and making the show nonsensical by making characters have incredibly obvious plot armor.

The audience the show is for does in no way justify the fact that the show is nonsensical when compared to actual Star Wars.

@@hleV

Choose the words you say and be respectful. I voiced an opinion and versions of the ideas behind the show, that you seem to hate so much, that it is strange, you actually watch it and spend your time on posting comments and insults here.

The show is not perfect, and it takes into account lots and lots of things of today, including the realities of TV media. I presonally believe, that the series format might have not been formed for Star Wars yet. The current situation explains, why we see children's activities in the episodes, what would make the younger audience be interested in the show more than others.

You said yourself, that the show differs from the films, so certain things would appear in a cartoon.

I acknowledge both pros and cons of Rebels, yet you only say "it's nonsensical" and "it's nonsensical".

@@hleV

The same way other sources came into Star Wars universe. Even though most of them are no longer canon, they do remain part of the Galaxy far, far away.

Caravan of courage is one such example. The two films about ewoks introduce childishness and adventures, which are in no way similar to original Star Wars episodes. One such film even has a witch and magic, which were unlikely envisioned as signs of the Force in the beginning.

The Droids animated series also shows lots of things, seen in Rebels now. It seems to be out of place sometimes. And I say nothing about Star Wars Holiday Special.

I know people, who are fans of six Episodes only, and they really despise KOTOR, but like Republic Commando.

Perhaps the thing is that Star Wars are different, and it's great they are not similar to each other.

@@hleV

The same way other sources came into Star Wars universe. 

How is that even an argument? I don't give a shit about other "media". If it's just as nonsensical, it's not in the same universe. Two contradictory things cannot coexist.

@

They're both defending their opinions, and the few last comments seem to be leading nowhere, but hleV has always been an outspoken member  -- don't let it get to you.
No need to start a discussion on how someone is even allowed to " be here " just because he has his own opinions, and holds on to them. You should ignore it or reply to it.

On topic:
Star Wars: Rebels is significant based on the fact that Disney/Lucas seems to be investing heavily on it. One of the script writers, Dave Filoni had this to say Season Two:

"If Season One represents A New Hope, Season Two is very much inspired by Empire Strikes Back."

So im guessing... that in S2, Ezra has learned a lot from his master and that there will be more action involved. Concidering that in New Hope Luke and his friends already knew of the rebellion,
and the Empire was also well aware of them, infact, they were already dealing with guerrilla warfare. So I'm thinking -- Maybe S2 will show the very first ATTACK against the Empire, on a larger scale.

How is that even an argument?

Because it is. For me yes, for you might be not. The media, that you don't count or care about is labeled Star Wars, and it brings a few ideas or traditions from original Star Wars, it doesn't need to copy the style of Star Wars 100%. Rebels try to introducce something new, while also staying true to the core ideas of the film. The way "Mandalorian chick" acts doesn't mean it should follow the same path. For some people the show remains a nuissance for the reason it's actually an animation, rather than a film, thus they don't watch it. An opinion as well, why not?

If it's just as nonsensical, it's not in the same universe. Two contradictory things cannot coexist.

Lots of things in this very world exist the same way - contradicting each other. I wouldn't like to bring in too many examples here (and there are plenty of them), but aren't there the cultural differences of various countries, which can be perceived in the similar manner?

A bit different case, but still - KOTOR showed both ghosts (Ajunta Pall on Korriban) and droids in one universe. Star Wars is a contradiction and a mix of very different things in nature. Aren't starships and space battles close to technology, whereas the Jedi and the Force - are close to magic?

This situation of bringing sometimes opposite ideas into one franchise caused the creation of a new genre - science fantasy, of which Star Wars is a vivid example.

@

I also think, that Season 2 would develop into the scope of ideas introduced in Episode V. More dramatic and with more tensions. ANH was somehow close to young people's adventure, while Episode V showed Luke and Leia quite mature. I don't know the time gap between S1 and S2, but that time would be enough to show some growth in the characters, since the final episodes so much in their struggle against the Empire.

On topic:

Star Wars: Rebels is significant based on the fact that Disney/Lucas seems to be investing heavily on it. One of the script writers, Dave Filoni had this to say Season Two:

"If Season One represents A New Hope, Season Two is very much inspired by Empire Strikes Back."

So im guessing... that in S2, Ezra has learned a lot from his master and that there will be more action involved. Concidering that in New Hope Luke and his friends already knew of the rebellion,

and the Empire was also well aware of them, infact, they were already dealing with guerrilla warfare. So I'm thinking -- Maybe S2 will show the very first ATTACK against the Empire, on a larger scale.

If we can expect at least some of the "recurring themes", then there may be an asteroid field involved, the consolidation of a romance, a bounty hunter, and some arm cutting... and a broken droid? But we'll see :P

http://alexplorer.net/starwars/movies/sw-parallels.html

Because it is. For me yes, for you might be not.

"The same way X did Y" is not an argument and doesn't answer any question. You're just providing something else that according to you is comparable, but don't provide an argument for why it makes sense.

I perfecty realize that different media may be for different audiences and be "expressed" in different ways. I'm saying that it doesn't make sense for events that are supposed to be in the same universe to have different kind of world logic applied to them.

Your ghosts/droids/Force/magic examples are absolutely nonsensical and irrelevant, by the way. I honestly can't tell what's going on in your head to write this shit. They're all different things, whereas fighting 10 trained and armed people is just one (yet different between the show and the movies).

@@hleV

I can't see too many arguments in your comments as well, regarding SW Rebels. They are mostly about "it's bad because it's bad", so "The same way X did Y" may apply equally to what you say and how.

@@Ramikad

Recurring themes is a good step forward, I think. In KOTOR for instance Bastila Shan is questioned by admiral Karath, while Leia is interrogated by Tarkin in ANH. They are asked almost the same thing. It's one of the most popular examples. In S1 they also introduced such similarity. Sometimes it is a nod to the films, like the one that Kevin Kiner, the composer, did. In the episodes we can hear both the motives from the OT and the prequels.

I'm saying that it doesn't make sense for events that are supposed to be in the same universe to have different kind of world logic applied to them.

Why would stormtroopers, that exist in the same universe, act differently?  Maybe they were badly trained. Or maybe, this is a long shot -- maybe they act stupid because this is a kids show? :P

But even so, it is still officially labeld: cannon. And every hardcore StarWars fan should watch the series.. and the Stormtroopers were never that smart to begin with, by the way, ANH made it very clear.

What I'm saying is..   don't take it so seriously