Star Wars Rebels

In an interview about the Rebels, dave Filoni said, that the new Inquisitor was of the same species, as the Cassie Cryar - Terellian Jango Jumper.

CassieCryar-SWE.jpg

The name is not known however, but we will see more of him in Season 3. And yes, more Inquisitors are coming. Maul will also have more scenes in the next season.

As for Vader, I am glad they say, that Ahsoka's appearance in Vader's life is NOT the same as Luke's. There is no way she can turn Vader or change his views, and it's important, that Ahsoka reminds him of hi past only, while Luke is his son and represents both his past and his future, so that is why the two encounters are different and work in different way.

While Ezra's lightsaber was destroyed, he won't be using a crossguard lightsaber, which was found on Malachor. Filoni said, it was indeed a nod towards TFA, however this was a weapon of an ancient Jedi.

dark_apprentice likes this

The very names of the Inquisitors suggest, that the organization isn't small and is far numerous than the Sith Order. Personally I feel that the two Inquisitors didn't manage to supply their roles to the maximum. Nothing really intersting has been revealed about them except for a few abilities and their status towards Grand Inquisitor. 

It was previously stated, that Rebels who have ties with TFA. Personally I can't believe that the two stories exist in one Galaxy, but I can't imagine the situation from Rebels and Ahsoka together with First Order and Rey. Just trying to imagine the two in one franchise is a bit difficult for me.

Curiously it isn't a problem to think of Ahsoka-Kreia line, or Rey-QuiGonJinn, or Ahsoka-Bastila. In this regard they fall into one structure quite good for me. ;)

Who knows what they will come up with for Season 3. But if I am not wrong Rebels takes place somewhere before ANH era and after ROTS, but still some years before/after the "Rogue One" story. Also it is possible, that in the new season they might bring someone better than the Grand Inquisitor something more powerful and yet again a part of their group, but who leads into a later creation of the Knights of Ren, assuming that one may survived all this years in the shadows and waits for the right time to come, when Vader and the Emperor die.

Rebels take place 4-5 years before battle of Yavin (Season 1) and 2-3 years before Yavin (Season 3). Rogue One is about 6-12 months before Episode IV. Nothing can prove that right now, but we can think logically: A New Hope reveals from the start, that the Rebellion finally achieved its first major victory, and they now have the plans because of that. If this is true, then the results of the victory must have been recent. Why would they need to mention that battle and keep the plans for several years?

It was revealed by Filoni, I think, that Season 3 would connect to Rogue One and Episode IV and then end.

My question is simply this: After Rebels is done, what are they gonna do with Ezra, Kanan and the other characters? Kill them off? Have them have their own roles to play in the events leading up to and during Empire and Jedi, possibly beyond? Is Ezra gonna become a Jedi or simply a Rebel General with Jedi Training and knowledge of the Force?

My question is simply this: After Rebels is done, what are they gonna do with Ezra, Kanan and the other characters? Kill them off? Have them have their own roles to play in the events leading up to and during Empire and Jedi, possibly beyond? Is Ezra gonna become a Jedi or simply a Rebel General with Jedi Training and knowledge of the Force?

...who knows, but with Ezra in the picture (and Yoda knowing of him)... it could be that when Yoda says in Ep.5 in response to Obi-Wan ghost "That boy is our only hope"... Yoda responds, "No there is another." Now Obi-Wan knew of Leia... and at the time we all thought Yoda was referring to Leia... but now it's possible that Yoda is speaking of Ezra. This latter interpretation is the one I hope for.

McGroose likes this

Just got around to catching up. Wow that finale was amazing! Loved the Malachor setting and seeing what I guess was the remnants of the Jedi Civil War? Looks like they're usin Kylo Ren's saber as inspired by the old Jedi saber designs of that time. Or so I assume. That was really cool to see.

And I'm still not happy about Maul surviving Ep1 but it was cool how they brought him in on this episode. He definitely still has an agenda.

Best part was Ahsoka, for sure. I've grown to love her character a lot since she was introduced in TCW.

@@Circa

I would like it to be the Malachor we know from KOTOR 2, but there are hints, that they use only the concept of the p;ante, not the general story about it. Jedi Civil War could have been cool, but they mention a different event, which happened much later (about 1000 years before the films), and since Jedi Civil War is no longer canon, this conflict is different and took place between Jedi and the Sith, both of which perished. So no Mandalorians were involved in this.

My guess was that perhaps this is a conflict, that can tie us with the Supreme Leader Snoke from TFA. We know, he is 1000 years old, so he could have witnessed this war. The hilt like Kylo's is simply a nod towards TFA, although explained, that this was just one of the older designs, used by the Jedi, and somehow (and for some reasons) copied by Kylo Ren centuries later.

Darth Maul is overused in my opinion. I would expect Savage Oppress to be there, but he is dead.

@@Circa

I would like it to be the Malachor we know from KOTOR 2, but there are hints, that they use only the concept of the p;ante, not the general story about it. Jedi Civil War could have been cool, but they mention a different event, which happened much later (about 1000 years before the films), and since Jedi Civil War is no longer canon, this conflict is different and took place between Jedi and the Sith, both of which perished. So no Mandalorians were involved in this.

My guess was that perhaps this is a conflict, that can tie us with the Supreme Leader Snoke from TFA. We know, he is 1000 years old, so he could have witnessed this war. The hilt like Kylo's is simply a nod towards TFA, although explained, that this was just one of the older designs, used by the Jedi, and somehow (and for some reasons) copied by Kylo Ren centuries later.

Darth Maul is overused in my opinion. I would expect Savage Oppress to be there, but he is dead.

KOTOR 2 ends in Malachor V, this was just Malachor. 

I like Darth Maul, he's basically the Star Wars version of Sisyphus, always scheming and advancing through the galaxy, just to fail when he's close to the top. 

Cerez and TheWhitePhoenix like this
  • 2 weeks later...

While the episode is curious in many ways, I feel, that both the return of Darth Maul and the duel between Darth Vader and Ahsoka were added not for the sake of the plot, but because the fans are constantly mongering about how cool would be to see Maul vs Vader, and of course Ahsoka vs her former master Anakin Skywalker. The latter gained viewers for the showers, while the first one is still a wanted fantasy, which gives some hope and heats the interest for Season 3, where Darth Vader can eventually slaughter the former Zabraki Sith Lord, but not before the intense and "cool duel", shown for a continuous time.

I can agree, that Ahsoka should have come across Vader one day, I am not that positive about Maul. He's been already introduced in TCW, and should have died there (perhaps instead of Savage Oppress).

Then again the moment where Ezra meets Maul is remarkable in its similarity with the encounter of Luke with Yoda in Episode V.

@@Noodle

I hope, that will be the option. In my opinion, new Jedi should've never been introduced in such major roles in Rebels, it's a great disregard towards the Original Trilogy in terms, that the three old episodes establish indisputable paths, which are abided by even by the Prequel trilogy.

He can't be a Jedi by the time of Episode IV, otherwise he would be a rival for Luke Skywalker. He can't be killed by Vader or die in any other way (it's not genre-friendly in case of Rebels), and falling to the Dark Side seem to be too cheesy. If we remember Clones, the old sources always stated, that they were evil by themselves (and even earlier stories revealed Clones to be going crazy after some time). The Clone Wars showed clones as people (=person), and showed they aren't unfamiliar with such human traits as dignity, kindness, bravery, respect, honor and friendship. As TCW was watched by a variety of people of different age, it was impossible to introduce a character, which bears all these characteristics, to be purely evil, thus they introduced the Mind Chips inside Clones's brains to show the younger audience, that Clones aren;t bad by nature, but are controlled by the bad guys.

The same is with Ezra: he is the main character, and younger audience takes after him in some ways. So making his final step – the fall to the Dark Side isn't the way a company would treat a story. We see this with Ahsoka Tano: she also wasn't killed, and didn't fall to the Dark Side. In case of Vader the Dark Side isn't the last point in his long path, so like in every myth, legend or fairy tale – there is morale about greater deeds.

So I am curious what would be with Season 3 mainly because of this.

P.S. Just understood, that Hera reminds me of Gadget Hackwrench from Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers. :)

the_raven likes this

Why can't Ezra be a Jedi?

As I've said before... with the entrance of Ezra. Perhaps this gives new meaning when Yoda says to Ghost Obi-Wan, "...no there is another."

Now Obi-Wan knew of Leia... so it makes no sense that Yoda is reminding him of Leia. Obi-Wan doesn't know of Ezra. Yoda most likely did not reveal his force conversations with Kanan & Ezra.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

It might be illogical, but Yoda was truly referring to Leia, nobody else. This was true even with the introduction of Qu Rahn in Dark Forces II. During the early script, Leia wasn't Luke's sister. G.Lucas wanted to introduce the girl in Episodes VI-VII, where she would be played by a different actress. However when Leia became Luke's sister in the plot, Obi Wan truly refers to her. Just like in case of Vader, he wouldn't tell Luke all the stories directly.

However I am positive, that both of the old masters understood, that a lot would depend on Luke's actions, not someone's else. For them he was the one to fulfill the potential, as Obi Wan stayed on Tatooine with Luke, while Leia was with her family on Alderaan. The connection was already there. Leia wasn't even considered as the last (and alternative) option, though Obi Wan surely knew about her potential too, he just hoped, they wouldn't fail with Luke.

I don't think Ezra is anyhow relevant to the Original Trilogy, even if the "there is another" line can be understood in several ways now.

Just as I said, Obi Wan, Yoda and Luke are the only true Jedi in the Galaxy by the time of events from Episodes IV-VI. As much as I like the old canon, and as much as I can respect certain new ideas in later sources, the Force Users there aren't the Jedi. Even Kanan was an young apprentice without finished training, while all others either abandoned the path, failed to the Dark Side or died. I also expect a few people leaving the Jedi and flying far away from the Galaxy.

It might be illogical, but Yoda was truly referring to Leia, nobody else. This was true even with the introduction of Qu Rahn in Dark Forces II. During the early script, Leia wasn't Luke's sister. G.Lucas wanted to introduce the girl in Episodes VI-VII, where she would be played by a different actress. However when Leia became Luke's sister in the plot, Obi Wan truly refers to her. Just like in case of Vader, he wouldn't tell Luke all the stories directly.

Also, because Ben himself says that:

"It's your sister he was referring to."

Darth Sion likes this

Yoda says Luke will be the Last of the Jedi, but I don't think that means there are no other jedi-like force users. I think it just means that there won't be any more people that follow that school of thought. It's already been established in the new canon that there are practitioners of the force that aren't either Jedi or Sith, like the Nightsisters, the Dagoyan Masters, Maz Kanata or some characters in Star Wars Uprising. 

@@Noodle

That's right – it was known even within the old Canon, that there were various Force sensitive people at least, though some reminded the Jedi more than others, and some even were the Jedi. But the idea is most likely, that Luke is the legacy of the old Jedi Order. Perhaps the only one to continue it the right way.

However for now, Rebels indicate, that it might be different. The only problem here is that Ezra trained with Kanan longer than Luke, yet they both fail with Vader and in some cases with others like Inquisitors. But we see Luke at a very different level, still fighting the Sith Lord (even though he is actually defeated on the Cloud City). We can only assume, that Luke's potential is far greater than Ezra's and Kanan's combined.

• 4 weeks later...

Having finally caught up with the second season of Rebels, I think Disney has cornered itself. Since it seems that Rebels is still aimed towards a younger audience, they are hesitant to kill characters off. We all know it needs to happen before Ep IV starts. Ezra, Kanan, Ahsoka, and Maul will die inevitably. I think Ahsoka should have died in that last episode or at least Kanan should have been killed by Maul (where Ahsoka could take over as Ezra's mentor, which would make her powerless as he falls to the dark side). To me it feels like they are afraid to do what is necessary for the continuity. The longer they take to kill them, at the end they will be forced to kill them all off at the same time, which is more shocking to the children, I'm sure.

NumberWan likes this

Having finally caught up with the second season of Rebels, I think Disney has cornered itself. Since it seems that Rebels is still aimed towards a younger audience, they are hesitant to kill characters off. We all know it needs to happen before Ep IV starts. Ezra, Kanan, Ahsoka, and Maul will die inevitably. I think Ahsoka should have died in that last episode or at least Kanan should have been killed by Maul (where Ahsoka could take over as Ezra's mentor, which would make her powerless as he falls to the dark side). To me it feels like they are afraid to do what is necessary for the continuity. The longer they take to kill them, at the end they will be forced to kill them all off at the same time, which is more shocking to the children, I'm sure.

They just killed 3 inquisitors though. I don't think the people at lucasfilms are afraid to show death, they just need to make sure it happens in an organic way.