New Saber Anims

You don't have to keep the path length the same. As long as there's some empty data to replace, you don't have to limit yourself with the length. I believe that "_humanJK2" will not work since "_humanoid" must be included in your path.

Look at my post at the first page with screenshots from Hex Editor. You can replace all/most of the dots that are right beyond the default path to humanoid.

I'll take a look and give it another go in light of this!

JK2 had another skeleton, more bones (except for the left hand tag) so some anims may not work.

Are you sure that you edited both your modified humanoid and target model?

Yeah, both the JO GLA and model file had the paths changed so they wouldn't conflict with JA, but I'll try again in light of your comments above.

Basically what I'm planning to do is replace the NPCs in the bsp with NPC spawners and use new custom NPCs which make use of the JO skeleton and animations. Since they only appear in cutscenes and are scripted to perform specific animations, I shouldn't have to worry about missing animations which would occur during gameplay.

It will not work unless you interfere in the JA sp code (galak mech does not have his AI / class in JK3).

I took a brief look at the source code and in the comments it looks like they rewrote the code for use with vehicles; I figured out a workaround by changing the NPC class. Not ideal, but it still makes for a reasonably difficult fight.

However, when the model loads I can see that projectiles don't come from the hand, but from the center of the model. I noticed a similar problem when messing around with the humanoid animations where models were being attached to the hands in the wrong place.

Edit: tried editing the paths like above. It did seem to pull in existing JA animations from the file (e.g. the roll animation),  but it wouldn't load JO specific ones.

Some cutscenes won't work with a hex'd model. It depends if the animations are in the _humanoid.gla or in a seperate .gla that is cutscene specific.

Lord_Newbie is right about keeping _humanoid in the file path. The game demands it. Overwriting the "."s is ok.

The animations I'm after are in the JO _humanoid.gla, and I did have some success following his tip on the file paths (I set them to _humanoid_jk2).

What's really throwing me is the errors I'm getting when I set g_icarusdebug to 1:

Example:

ERROR: SetAnimUpper: cinematic15_bartender does not have anim BOTH_BARTENDER_IDLE1!

ERROR: SetAnimLower: cinematic15_bartender does not have anim BOTH_BARTENDER_IDLE1!

The map is spawning the modified JO model, the model loads fine with the modified paths, and the JO humanoid file is loading fine with the modified paths, since when I switch to that model it's overwriting a few animation mods I made to the JA file. But what it refuses to do is load animations that only exist in the _humanoid_jk2 file.

The game can see the files, and I can see the animations are defined in those files. So why is it telling me they don't exist... they do!

Nope, no cutscene specific folders anywhere; we're pretty much dealing with base JA/JO which has all the cutscene animations in the core _humanoid.gla. All the animations needed are in the JO _humanoid file, which as I said is at least being partially loaded.

Though with some further testing, I suspect it wouldn't work anyway; it looks like the engine handles the skeletons slightly differently. If you use a JK2 model in JA that uses the base _humanoid it gets converted on the fly (as can be seen in the console) and it works fine. Use a different set of animations, even if it's the JK2 one which matches the skeleton/bones just fine and the model deforms. Though it is pretty funny having the eyes move instead of the mouth or arms or something.

Yeah, gave that a shot so that the line was added to the JA _humanoid file and it will not load it at all. Forgetting anything fancy like using a different skeleton/model for a second, the game does not seem to load any animation by that name. Even if it's a perfectly valid animation (I set it to the same as the JA roll for test purposes). Regardless of where the line is... even if it's alphabetized in the file, if that actually matters. And the file with those changes is definitely loading because I swapped a few other JA animations around so I could make sure it was.

Have you guys been able to add brand new animations yourselves, rather than replacing existing ones? It seems that anything I add to the file won't get picked up.

Yeah, gave that a shot so that the line was added to the JA _humanoid file and it will not load it at all.

I know there's anims.h file from the source code which contains all the animations names. Add this animation's name there and try compiling it.

Have you guys been able to add brand new animations yourselves, rather than replacing existing ones? It seems that anything I add to the file won't get picked up.

Yup. Are you sure that, upon saving anims to gla in dragon, you compile it using glamerge?

Yup. Are you sure that, upon saving anims to gla in dragon, you compile it using glamerge?

I can't merge the JO and JA humanoid files due to the different number of bones, but I might be able to create some dummy animations.

That sounds like it might well be the problem, I'll take a look. And again, thanks very much for the advice. As you can probably tell, I'm making this up as I go along!