Post Content Font

hleV

(Useless suggestion.)

I'd like you to consider changing the font of the post content. The numbers look weird (I know it's intended for this font, but still uncomfortable) as their size is the same as lower case letters'.

• abc123
  • 1280x1024, 1920x1080
  • (zero) 0 vs o (O)

Thing is, in order to keep a consistent feel, we would have to change the font everywhere.

Where else besides post content is this font used? There seems to be a different font (a "good" one) about everywhere else on the site.

Where else besides post content is this font used? There seems to be a different font (a "good" one) about everywhere else on the site.

I probably should have phrased that differently.  There is no direct setting (that I am aware of) for changing the default post font in IP.Board.  However I run an instance of it over on my company's site, and we have unified the fonts, but we did so in the actual page code by making everything display in one font, which also required some design changes and tweaks in order to make everything look right, considering some fonts are bigger than others.

This isn't something beyond the current staff's abilities, but there are a number of other issues which take precedence.

Isn't that as easy as opening the style's CSS file, finding

.post
{
    font-family: <font>;
}

And just changing it?

It would depend on how @@Caelum designed this theme I suppose. The other problem is depending on how many plugins are installed, and how many have their own CSS styles, you could be doing a run-about to get them all.

Odds are this is something that wouldn't take long to fix, but as to if the staff want to disregard their other duties to handle it, up to them.

It would depend on how @@Caelum designed this theme I suppose. The other problem is depending on how many plugins are installed, and how many have their own CSS styles, you could be doing a run-about to get them all.

Odds are this is something that wouldn't take long to fix, but as to if the staff want to disregard their other duties to handle it, up to them.

I think you're making it sound like it's way more difficult than it actually is. The post content is wrapped in the CSS class post, which holds the font information. Here's the CSS file that defines the style of this very page. We find .post:

.post
{
    font-family:Georgia,"Times New Roman",Times,serif;
    font-size:13px;
    line-height:1.6
}

All it takes is to change the Georgia part to some other font name.

I think you're making it sound like it's way more difficult than it actually is. The post content is wrapped in the CSS class post, which holds the font information. Here's the CSS file that defines the style of this very page. We find .post:

.post
{
    font-family:Georgia,"Times New Roman",Times,serif;
    font-size:13px;
    line-height:1.6
}

All it takes is to change the Georgia part to some other font name.

I'm actually not trying to make it sound difficult at all. It simply has the potential to be time consuming.  See this site uses IP.Content to create custom pages and blocks, because of that we cannot simply predict (because @@Caelum designed them) which ones are utilizing the .post CSS and where.  We would have to check all of them so we could be sure nothing weird happens.  We also have multiple themes, and each has it's own CSS, so we would have to change all of them.

The fact is, it is a very menial task, that just has the potential to be tedious if the .post is in fact being used in other apps.  Because anytime we make a change, we have to QC it, and then make sure to duplicate it across all the themes, which are not identical even if they appear to be (Fixed-Width for instance).  There are plenty of other things for the active staff to do on a regular basis, that this isn't likely to be at the top of their list.

Don't wanna sound rude or anything, but I'm not convinced.

Firebug (a Firefox extension) says Georgia font setting comes exactly from the CSS file I pointed out before: prettify.css. I can't imagine any scenario where altering Georgia to, say, Verdana would do anything bad.

That's true for the forums posts, but that will also affect anything else using the .post CSS.  In some cases where this same CSS is being used elsewhere on the site, it could affect heights of certain forms or what not (most likely to be an issue in something like the fixed-width theme, where everything is scaled to fit a certain size), unless you were certain to pick identically scaled fonts.  These are minor issues, but when it comes to managing a fairly large, world-wide community, you don't want hiccups to go unnoticed.  Since Caelum has left the community and he was the one who created the themes, the active staff would need to check and see where throughout the entire site, that .post CSS is being called.

And it still holds true that the changes have to be duplicated across all of the themes.

Again, I never said this would be a difficult change, but one of the staff would need to decide to let it take priority over things such as some of the recent updates and security.

I don't see how changing Georgia to another font anywhere that .post is used (although I'm confident it's exclusive to post content) would do any harm. Georgia is bad after all, right?

In any case, you can do

.post_wrap .post_body .post
{
}

at the end of the CSS file and it'll make sure that the specified .post is inside .post_body which is inside .post_wrap. It would be ridiculous to think it could be used anywhere else.

You can just do

.post_wrap .post_body .post
{
}

at the end of the CSS file and it'll make sure that the specified .post is inside .post_body which is inside .post_wrap. It would be ridiculous to think it could be used anywhere else.

Not all that ridiculous, considering the entire theme was custom built, and given that he had to fake a blog without actually buying IP.Blog, I wouldn't consider it strange if some of the code has been re-used in other areas.  And yes, there is that, along with a number of options, I never said non of them know how, but again:

Again, I never said this would be a difficult change, but one of the staff would need to decide to let it take priority over things such as some of the recent updates and security.

Any one of them could do it, but it still has to be replicated on all the versions, and prior to doing so, even though it is a minor change, policy would require we back it up.  Hell, despite being retired I still have admin powers and could do it, but aside from this first complaint, we have never heard anything before to my recollection, so there is no reason to make this a priority.

I find that this site looks pretty good on Ubuntu. It doesn't use Georgia since that font doesn't exist on this OS.

Screenshotfrom2013-10-04095440_zps5b63c5

A Firefox plugin called Stylish can be used to restyle the pages to use a different font. @@Pande might know more.

What font is that, do you know?