Main Menu

I still don't understand how this would look "bad". :P

Because there isn't any lighting in the menus, for starters. So you're going to wind up with an ugly, unlit map.

@@therfiles, irrelevant because a) JK2 used a /model/, not a map, and it coated it in a shiny shader which didn't look bad at all, and b) KOTOR is on a completely different engine

You can get a lot better results with just 2D stuff. afiNity's old menu work in particular looked REALLY good.

Because there isn't any lighting in the menus, for starters. So you're going to wind up with an ugly, unlit map.

@@therfiles, irrelevant because a) JK2 used a /model/, not a map, and it coated it in a shiny shader which didn't look bad at all, and B) KOTOR is on a completely different engine

You can get a lot better results with just 2D stuff. afiNity's old menu work in particular looked REALLY good.

It looked fine in @@therfiles' video.

It's a menu on top of a map, not a map under a menu.

@@eezstreet

The method places the menu above the map, so whatever the lighting was, it is preserved. The example is fullbright because the test map was only basically compiled for testing purposes. Also, 2D work looks great. I mean look at Skyline, look at afiNity's work. It's all great. I have nothing against 2D menus, I've made TONS of them. For JKB, Secret Santa, and many other mods, I've used 2D. Using this method will be something NEW. Like I said before, this is an optional plugin, so users against the look/performance dip can really take the 2D menu. I understand your fears, I feel them too. 2D is trusted and true and this method is new and relatively untested. So lets wait until we pass judgement on this before we even have one map done.

Circa likes this

So far, not impressed that I can't use it in mainMenu lol. While I haven't gotten it to fully work with a menu overlayed, it will still display the load map screen no matter what which just looks crappy lol. I think the only thing we can do here is add models ala JK2.

The idea is there therfiles, but it's just not at a decent useable state with the code as-is. :(

So far, not impressed that I can't use it in mainMenu lol. While I haven't gotten it to fully work with a menu overlayed, it will still display the load map screen no matter what which just looks crappy lol. I think the only thing we can do here is add models ala JK2.

The idea is there therfiles, but it's just not at a decent useable state with the code as-is. :(

B)

Don't judge until the method is fully used bro. Your getting there, but it still has some more work to do. Getting this to work is very tricky.

At this point everyone is talking in circles. Everyone has presented their case for or against the idea. I say let DT85 try it out and if he likes it he can use it.

Great idea! We can't really discuss this until I have at least 1 level done. Imma workin'

Circa likes this

Here's my thoughts : If it only allows models then can't we make a diagonal-angle-like rotating 3d mini-map of the mission on the side of the menu? That way it'd be a model, and not a map, and it'd be a small edition which means it wouldn't take long to load. And would give away MORE information as to how the map looks like than a few shots of walls. So, whaddya say?

And you could add like a holoprojector under it or something, so it looks like a cool briefing room or something :D

Mandalorian, Circa, Onysfx and 1 other like this

Here's my thoughts : If it only allows models then can't we make a diagonal-angle-like rotating 3d mini-map of the mission on the side of the menu? That way it'd be a model, and not a map, and it'd be a small edition which means it wouldn't take long to load. And would give away MORE information as to how the map looks like than a few shots of walls. So, whaddya say?

And you could add like a holoprojector under it or something, so it looks like a cool briefing room or something :D

Almost like way the map system looks in metroid prime!

CxJkV.png

(I know people hate external links, BUT I CAN'T SEEM TO POST THE PIC BECAUSE I DON'T APPARENTLY HAVE PERMISSION!)

Edited by Circa
I think it's a time for a lesson in image posting. ;)
Scorpion likes this