The Dark Pastime

OlgO

Hi everyone!
I and NumberWan are making an add-on for Jedi Knight Jedi Academy called "The Dark Pastime".

"The story takes place in 17 ABY, several years after the events with Tavion and her Sith cult. The Jedi Academy became a large organization of peace-keepers, loyal to the New Republic. Former Galactic Empire is weakened, but still has enough forces to fight both the Republic and the Jedi. However they tried to remain silent for some time until the accident in the system of Goura occured... But is it the Empire to blame for the deaths of dozens of soldiers? Or is it someone else trying to make everyone to believe this story?

Mon Mothma asked the Jedi for help - one more time - to find out what really happened with the Republic base on Goura and investigate any possible Imperial activity in that sector. So it happens that Kyle Katarn, an agent of the New Republic and now a Jedi Knight decides to chase the Imperial dreadnaught, that was believed to have been responsible for the attack.

The Imperial captain manages to leave his ship and flee to Ord Mantell, where then he is killed by a mysterious assassin. It seems somebody is trying to hatch a plot against the Jedi and the Republic itself. And Kyle Katarn is the only one who can find out the true identity of the evil enjoying torturing the Galaxy this time... "

In our add-on will be featured:
- about 30 new levels (there will be classic planets and new planets)

7_zpsedrw04sh.jpg
ord_mantell2_zps7ppyiqkb.jpg
dworn_zpsnvh4vdxg.jpg
anarmar1_zpsark7j3un.jpg
anarmar2_zpsmceifr0l.jpg

- all known NPCs (like bith, duros, selkath, nikto) and entirely new ones

duros_2_zpsvxc5ctan.jpg
sullustan_zpshujggxe2.jpg
bith_2_zps4gkaoqej.jpg
selkath2_zpscvigiusi.jpg
cargo_droid_zpsworzilre.jpg

- new md3 models (swoops, ships, different objects)

rut_swoop_zpsarlbxcmy.jpg
home5_zpsjrgkgsep.jpg
at_at_zpsnsewew4j.jpg
rgc16speeder_zpsrsgordhr.jpg
kater002_zpszdrdd5ye.jpg

- various missions: reconnaissance, investigation of a murder, "negotiating" with the officials of high rank, taking care of crazy scientist, exploration of the ancient tombs and dungeons and others.
You play as Kyle Katarn, still it is up to you to choose what kind of character he will be this time. Old characters will also play their parts just like the new ones.
We do our best to release a demo version as soon as possible.
Also if you want to help us with add-on or want to join our team feel free to send a PM to NumberWan)

Hello Olgo! Been in correspondence with NumberWan about this mod recently, and he mentioned you're responsible for some of these fantastic models. Excellent work.

Long-time follower of this mod's progress, and just like therfiles' said, it's never been short of very impressive! Am looking forward to this. Keep up the good work!

Forgive me for being the sceptic, but isn't 30 maps a little too much? :P Especially if they're all reasonably sized.

Yes. Even working 8 hours a day. Unless they have several people working on the same level concurrently. Which isn't as practical in JKA as it is in other editors/engines with modular assets.

Hi!

Thank you all very much for your kind words)

This is the first I've heard of this, and I'm liking the progress. :D

But shouldn't Kyle be a master?

Yes of course Kyle is a Jedi Master in our add-on)

Forgive me for being the sceptic, but isn't 30 maps a little too much? :P Especially if they're all reasonably sized.

Well, our add-on wasn't started yesterday, its been years of work. Most of the levels geometry and scripts are almost finished, but there is still work on map optimization, light, effects, details and some other things. Plus there is such a thing like binding levels together via cutscenes, we are working on that too. But I must say that number of levels may be changed. May be there will be more then 30)) Anyway final decision about this will be after NumberWan.

Decided to post more screenshots:

ivte.jpg

rkki.jpg

qppk.jpg

t1p5.jpg

e6mq.jpg

Stoiss, Onysfx, Xanemus and 5 others like this

Hi, everyone!

It's nice to see old fans here as well as meeting new people, interested in our project. You might have read about our modification - the Dark Pastime here and there. Most of the news and pictures can be checked at the Dark Pastime modification page on moddb. However we plan to post some information here as well, including that exclusive to JKHub only (as the screenshots with new some new animations and totally new Imperial Commandos (or Death Star Troopers) as seen above).

We appreciate all the support and warm wishes to our team.

I must say, that DP is indeed a very large project, perhaps much more complex, than my friend Wuhan and I originally planned it to be. And in many ways we made it so far tanks to our relatives, friends and fans. For that we thank all of you.

Regarding some of the questions, that have risen. There are indeed a lot of maps, dozens. But don't worry - we've had and have different mappers, who work on them. Some were completed quite some time ago, and after that these people eventually (and unfortunately) left the team, but remain as our greatest supporters up to this day. We also had some things done by independent artists and game designers, as I would call them =) For instance PSS, who was great help with some very complicated scripts.

A lot was done with voice-acting, and I will not exaggerate by saying that it was possible thanks to Wuhan (who was recording most of the voices), Namelessone (he originally voiced Kyle Katarn, but also some major characters by giving them a unique behavior and tone), Paradamus (the current voice of Kyle Katarn), Lazysun (Jan Ors), my class mates and other friends who voiced a lot of other characters, whose part in the plot add a lot to the atmosphere of the addon.

It's also good to have Olgo now in our team, as she sees things in a very profound and professional way both as a mapper, scripter and game designer.

It would be very unjust not to mention all those, who were kind enough to give us the permission to use their models in our project. I would like to mention a few - Psyk0Sith, Chairwalker, Oddjob and HapSlash. There are just some names of the very talented people whose creations were not just models to be included into another modification, but also the example of genuine artwork and inspiration.

Though some people left the team, they are still somehow part of it. I must say, that this Summer was not without certain tragic moments in my life: one of the dearest people, who both supported me through all this years as well as contributed to the project by voicing one of the characters in DP modification - my grandmother passed away. I think she would like to see the project finished after all these years of quite interesting work. And it would be fair to mention her participation now.

Stay tuned. I promise to post some more details about DP soon, also some new downloads on the way.

therfiles likes this

I've also been following this project for years, and may I say I just love those maps! They are so open yet explorable, they feel so...I can't even describe it, it brings back nostalgia moments from my real life! xD.

Glad to see it has been revived!

UNLIMITED POWAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

You have drawn my attention.  I have a nagging question that I haven't been able to find the answer to, is this single-player or multiplayer?

NVM, found your moddb, says its singleplayer.  Interesting...

Edited by Darth Futuza

JKG Developer

Thanks to everyone for their responses. As for a thread specifically about DP - we already asked JKHub about it. =) 

Olgo has been planning to release a complete demo for quite some time now. All the levels that can be added into it have been renovated, so I guess it can include as many as several levels, not just one.

About the overall number of maps in the modification - there are limits to what we want to create. I won't say anything else about their true quantity, be it thirty or forty levels in total. In the past I had to remove some maps from DP, including one planet. Some maps were united into one (or on the contrary - split in two due to their size).

Onysfx and Circa like this

Hi!

Keep working on imperial woman (officer).

So at first i created this one:

imperial_woman_000_zpsahp8yabj.jpg

Then I tried to change head and add some hair styles and skins:

imperial_woman_zps3wwmhh13.jpg

Now I removed an arm pocket key, and added key cylinders instead of painted ones, added that thingy on cap, added 3-column rank signs, old head (with some changes), hairstyles and a chiss skin:

new_heads_zps8o5acxd0.jpg

It's all a beta version and will be worked on.

Made some changes on the dreadnauht bridge:

w83u.jpg

Also can any of JKHub staff help us and create a section for our mod on Mod Forums, please? Tried to send a message using that form on Services/Mod Forums page but it seems didnt work...

Hi!

Keep working on imperial woman (officer).

So at first i created this one:

f7oo.jpg

Then I tried to change head and add some hair styles and skins:

4evz.jpg

Now I removed an arm pocket key, and added key cylinders instead of painted ones, added that thingy on cap, added 3-column rank signs, old head (with some changes), hairstyles and a chiss skin:

gao1.jpg

It's all a beta version and will be worked on.

Made some changes on the dreadnauht bridge:

w83u.jpg

Also can any of JKHub staff help us and create a section for our mod on Mod Forums, please? Tried to send a message using that form on Services/Mod Forums page but it seems didnt work...

Oh man, I know what model I'm looking forward too now from this mod. :D