Major Milestones Over the Past Decade

Since many of you are aware, Jedi Academy turned 10 yesterday. The date snuck up on us and we didn't have anything to celebrate this date with you guys. We're working to post some things and maybe start up a mod project. There's also a new poll already posted as well.

I need help with something I'm putting together. It's nothing exciting or anything but I think it will be cool see and reminisce with.

What are the major milestones in the Jedi Academy community that are worth noting? Things like release dates, mods, events, etc. Let me know!

If you post about a major mod, make sure to include the release date. This is where I need the most help.

Thanks guys!

therfiles and Rage like this

The problem with these mods is they have dozens of versions and release dates. It's hard to find the first one, original one.

I need MBII, JA+, Lugormod, Makermod, JKG, and OpenJK. @@eezstreet?

Probably more too.

Also, an expert on the KOTF scandal can enlighten me on when that exactly took place.

Caelum's thread said it was released early 2007. I guess I'll have to use that.

I didn't look through the whole thing, but here's some pretty early (2004) MB2 stuff: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=133961

Would a release be considered a non-beta? Or would the first beta be considered the release date?

For competitive milestones or significant events from within the competitive community, check out: http://jkhub.org/wiki/index.php?title=Competitive_Play

There's really a lot that is hugely significant there, but if I were to pick the most important events, I'd pick those:

Wovian vs aXiom in April 2005 (the first official high-level intercontinental match to be held), Ozone vs aXiom in October 2005 (marks the end of aXiom's dominance and the rise of Ozone), UK's win in the JNC 2006 vs the Germans (the brits officially eclipse the germans for the first time, which had dominated competitive JKA since release), Minneyar winning the ESL invite cup in 2006 (becomes a top5 player and stayed that way until his retirement sometime in 2010), Germany winning the JNC 2009 against team Alpine Regions (JNC 2009 was the most well attended event in years back then, plus the finals were amazing), Xentinels defeating aXiom in 2v2 and TDM in March 2010 (aXiom disbands shortly after that, other great clans including xentinels leave too, the hungarians take over competitive JKA)

Isn't it still taking place?  Released Mar 7, 2008 is the date of release according to the expired ModDb page.

That's what I found as well but I don't know if that's accurate or not.

Yeah it had a second release but I mostly want the first original release date. I guess that one will have to do.

For competitive milestones or significant events from within the competitive community, check out: http://jkhub.org/wiki/index.php?title=Competitive_Play

There's really a lot that is hugely significant there, but if I were to pick the most important events, I'd pick those:

Wovian vs aXiom in April 2005 (the first official high-level intercontinental match to be held), Ozone vs aXiom in October 2005 (marks the end of aXiom's dominance and the rise of Ozone), UK's win in the JNC 2006 vs the Germans (the brits officially eclipse the germans for the first time, which had dominated competitive JKA since release), Minneyar winning the ESL invite cup in 2006 (becomes a top5 player and stayed that way until his retirement sometime in 2010), Germany winning the JNC 2009 against team Alpine Regions (JNC 2009 was the most well attended event in years back then, plus the finals were amazing), Xentinels defeating aXiom in 2v2 and TDM in March 2010 (aXiom disbands shortly after that, other great clans including xentinels leave too, the hungarians take over competitive JKA)

This would be cool to integrate into the timeline. To show that there is more to JKA than modding.

Circa likes this

This would be hard to implement all of it in what I'm doing, but maybe I can make a separate thing for it all.

If I were to pick 2 or 3 major ones, which ones would those be?

To show that there is more to JKA than modding.

Before I joined here, there was nothing more to JKA for me than the development and exercise of skill at sabering: Over my entire time with JKA that was the only thing I ever considered worthwhile, everything else was either drama or fluff (except for CTF of course, these guys rock). But ever since I joined here, I've come to respect the modding community, even if we do not share the same values and focus on completely different aspects of the game, and so I agree that the releases of some of the better mods were definitely milestones in JKA, but even so you must imagine how funny it is to me when people set out to compile a list of the most worthwhile moments in the history of the game and fill it mostly with release dates of mods.

@@Circa: Wovian and aXiom 03.04.2005, UK vs GER JNC 2006 05.02.2006 for two; picking a third one, but not a fourth or fifth one is a bit more tricky for me.

therfiles likes this