Problem with JO maps in JA

I've recently been trying my hand at getting JO's SP campaign to work in JA, and have managed to get it mostly working with a find & replace in the scripts and the BSPs, which fixes most of the navigation issues. Aside from a few bugs, and animation issues in cinematics, the game is largely playable.

What I'm really trying to figure out is A) how to get objectives to show up, and B) if it's possible to write mission briefings for JO levels.

I was also wondering about trying to fix Galak's spawning by creating a new NPC and referring to that instead in the BSP files. If I'm correct, that should work without needing to edit the source files, right?

Incidentally, if anyone's interested, it's possible to hex edit the water on yavin_swamp.bsp and yavin_canyon.bsp so that you no longer skate along it like ice.

For the textures:

yavin/swater1_2sided

yavin/swater_opaque_bottom

change the last few bytes from 40 00 00 01 to 40 00 00 00, and watch as it now works like water.

I believe the internal names for the objectives are fixed, so you're limited to replacing existing ones. That's done by editing the objectives.str or whatever its name is and using those names.

As for the briefings - do you mean the loading screen texts? I can't quite remember how, but you can do custom ones.

I believe the internal names for the objectives are fixed, so you're limited to replacing existing ones. That's done by editing the objectives.str or whatever its name is and using those names.

As for the briefings - do you mean the loading screen texts? I can't quite remember how, but you can do custom ones.

Thanks for the response.

Yeah, it would make sense if objectives were hardcoded somewhere, because even when adding the JO objectives to the string file it still doesn't pull them in.

And yeah by briefings I mean the loading screen texts. The ones I've tried don't seem to be loading, but I have seen others make their own custom ones.

@@eezstreet, didn't you say "playing JO in JA, u mad?" :P

This seems right up your alley.

Hah, it does feel like a crazy task, but it's surprising what can be worked around.

I've taken a look at the briefings - there's a briefings.str where you just enter the desired briefing with the level's filename as the reference, like this:

REFERENCE           ta_fac_end
LANG_ENGLISH        "Get yourself out of that facility as fast as possible."

Thanks for the advice. I tested it just now and was able to get it working, so I probably messed up something earlier!

Cheers.

As an update, I think I figured out what the problem with the briefings was.

I've been loading the collection of outcast files I've built as a mod, and I've only just found out that it won't load .STR files from PK3s loaded in this way. I just moved a file from the mod directory to the JA base directory, so I guess it's possible that objectives might work in a similar manner. Will test.

Edit: Unfortunately not with objectives. Ah well.

I've recently been trying my hand at getting JO's SP campaign to work in JA, and have managed to get it mostly working with a find & replace in the scripts and the BSPs, which fixes most of the navigation issues. Aside from a few bugs, and animation issues in cinematics, the game is largely playable.

What I'm really trying to figure out is A) how to get objectives to show up, and B) if it's possible to write mission briefings for JO levels.

I was also wondering about trying to fix Galak's spawning by creating a new NPC and referring to that instead in the BSP files. If I'm correct, that should work without needing to edit the source files, right?

Incidentally, if anyone's interested, it's possible to hex edit the water on yavin_swamp.bsp and yavin_canyon.bsp so that you no longer skate along it like ice.

For the textures:

yavin/swater1_2sided

yavin/swater_opaque_bottom

change the last few bytes from 40 00 00 01 to 40 00 00 00, and watch as it now works like water.

How exactly do you change the bytes on the textures?

How exactly do you change the bytes on the textures?

mrwonko has it right, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Look for those texture names in the bsp, and you'll find the flags shortly thereafter. Change 2 bytes for each map, and enjoy.

I figured I'd mention it because I've seen a few posts about that while looking for answers. And it's a lot easier than trying to decompile the map and recompile it!

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

mrwonko has it right, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Look for those texture names in the bsp, and you'll find the flags shortly thereafter. Change 2 bytes for each map, and enjoy.

I figured I'd mention it because I've seen a few posts about that while looking for answers. And it's a lot easier than trying to decompile the map and recompile it!

Thanks, Sanguine. What do I need to use to modify them? A simple notepad or something I need from here on JKhub?