Exchange ActiveSync for WIndows

Does anyone know of a client (or ideally, a method to get outlook 2007 to do this) which will allow me to download mail from an activesync server to a desktop client?

Currently, I can only receive work emails from my android phone using Touchdown app (which supports activesync) as there's no webmail access page outside of their intranet system.

I would really like to be able to get these emails on my desktop/laptop PC but I have no idea how, and google has turned up nothing! For the first time in history google has failed me :o

Anyone have any advice?

P.S. Heres the settings that work for the android phone app

==================================================

Your request to use personal equipment has been approved and you have now been added to a group to enable you to use your device for accessing ULHT e-mails / your diary.

Please follow the instructions below on how to do this, if you have any queries please speak to the ICT Service Desk on Ext 5800

Android –touchdown

Configure Mail

Open touchdown application > account tab:

Connection mode select ActiveSync ONLY

Put in login ID in the form of ulh\username

Email Address is your ULH email address

Password is your PC password

Go to Connection tab:

Server name is xxx.xxx.nhs.uk

Tick Uses SSL

If they're like the people I work for, they have it on an intranet for a reason.  They probably want to limit external access.  From the looks of that you had to get permission to access it from your phone, so I imagine you would need to inquire about home PC use.  If they won't tell you how, then I imagine they don't want you doing it...at which point continued pursuit of a means to do so, might not be in your best interest.

Its completely inconsequential by what method I access my email once Ive been granted external access - I can take my emails at home on my phone, I'd just like them on my desktop too. I assumed it'd be easy but apparently no desktop software (bar Windows 8 default client) supports it. I suspect this is the only system they have setup for cost and maintenance reasons, as well as most people would prefer phone access over pc as they tend to check their phone more. There's no additional security concerns with desktop over mobile. The NHS doesnt have a lot of spare cash.

I appreciate your concern, but I would also appreciate any answers to the actual question!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9II6PqkIHBw

Szico I read your post some more: here are the requirements for outlook 2007:

(You will need the following info from the company responsible for hosting the exchange server and your mailbox account, this would be username, password, email address, local server name, OutlookAnywhere URL (usually OWA (Outlook Web Access) Url)

Autodiscover Method

Start Control Panel

Start Mail ( OR Mail 32-bit)

Click Show Profiles

Add a new one

1.) Next

2.) Select Microsoft Exchange Account, click Next,

3.) Fill in your name (Can be anything), email address, password for your MAILBOX twice

4.) Autodiscover will look to see if this organisation has Autodiscover added, if so everything will do its magic for you

5.) Finish once you see all 3 green ticks, and no messages about trying for an UNENCRYPTED connection

6.) Press okay and make sure Outlook is set to load this new profile

7.) Open Outlook

Manual Method

IF YOU ARE NOT CONNECTED TO THE NETWORK internally as EXCHANGE SERVER

Start Control Panel

Click Show Profiles

Add a new one

1.) Next

2.) Select Microsoft Exchange Account, click Next, then click on Manually Configure Server Settings

3.) Server (This is the LOCAL server name, not web facing)

4.) Username is the prefix of the email address, BUT DO NOT CLICK CHECK NAME

5.) Click more settings

6.) Connection Tab, click on this

7.) Tick box for "Connect to Exchange using HTTP" and click on its button for more settings

8.) Tick the boxes for Fast and Slow connections

9.) In the URL field, this is the OUTLOOK ANYWHERE Field (The web facing DNS record for this mail server)

10.) Authentication is usually set to BASIC

11.) OK and then tick on Okay again.

12.) Click check user-name and it should ask for your credentials

13.) These are credentials for the mailbox, once inserted correctly Outlook will successfully add  by underlining both server and username

14.) Next and finish

15.) Press okay and make sure Outlook is set to load this new profile

16.) Open Outlook

F YOU ARE CONNECTED TO THE NETWORK internally as EXCHANGE SERVER (sharing a similar local IP address, this can also be done with VPN as well)

Start Control Panel

Click Show Profiles

Add a new one

1.) Next

2.) Select Microsoft Exchange Account, click Next, then click on Manually Configure Server Settings

3.) Server (This is the LOCAL server name, not web facing)

4.) Username is the prefix of the email address, BUT DO NOT CLICK CHECK NAME

5.) Click check user-name and it should ask for your credentials

6.) These are credentials for the mailbox, once inserted correctly Outlook will successfully add  by underlining both server and username

7.) Next and finish

8.) Press okay and make sure Outlook is set to load this new profile

9.) Open Outlook

Let me know here how you get on!!! Equally if you need Live assistance, PM me and ill get to you on Skype or something!

Good luck

Thanks for the post @ - however remember I cannot get any OWA access as the NHS trust I work for does not have one, or chooses not to let most know of it (there is no external web access as previously mentioned) - therefore I cannot complete these steps.

I figure I'm this one  - IF YOU ARE NOT CONNECTED TO THE NETWORK internally as EXCHANGE SERVER, given that Im at home and not on the local intranet

9.) In the URL field, this is the OUTLOOK ANYWHERE Field (The web facing DNS record for this mail server) - This is the bit I can't do.

The only details I have are the ones listed in the OP.

Szico the xxx.xxx.nhs.uk is the Outlook anywhere URL so that saves you a bit of hassle.

What you could do is try and hope they matched in and out, although I know from expierence NHS wont do this (One particular NHS is one of my clients)

If this is indeed an exchange setup, you could attempt to identify OWA ( IT is absoultely needed for you to cnnnect via your phone the way you do)

Try this:

https://xxx.xxxx.nhs.uk/owa

or

https://xxx.xxx.nhs.uk/exchange

IF either of these load a certificate prompt and lead you to a login, grats you just found OWA Link

Get back to me with your progress so I can continue!

@ - The URL is actually xxx.xxx.nhs.uk (This is the server name for step 3)

This is definitely not the OWA link though. The link above is the server host? I tried this with DAVmail but couldnt find a owa link that worked. Is there a way to resolve it from my phones connection (which works so presumably if an OWA exists, the phone must have got this info from the server)