HUMANOID SKEL PLAYER: Kyle Katarn

DT85

Nice work on this new Kyle Katarn model. I know that you're not nearly done, so I'm going to take a moment to suggest you try to give him a more real mercenary look. For a start, make his shirt more loose, perhaps with one of the neck flaps folded showing more of his inner t-shirt. Then try to to give him cargo pants. Not loose, skater type, cargo pants, but like military/tactical cargo pants. And the boots, those jedi like, slick leather boots don't suit the mercenary type. Go for something more bulkier, tall boots, but not horse riding like boots. Something like a pair of Iowa or Magnum military boots with some cool gaiters on top with some velcro straps or with those quick disengaging plastic buckles. And like someone mentioned, don't be afraid to go for a weary look. It will add to the feeling that he's an actual mercenary and not cosplaying. Better to suggest now than when you think you're almost done and it's too late to make big changes.

• 2 weeks later...

It's good, I'll give it that. But:

- Kyle & Jan look nothing like the original

- Jerec is close, but still not a decent enough match

- The blending between the Valley, sky & explosion parts aren't that great

- The background needs more Valley of the Jedi

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks stunning, to me at least. And from the looks of it it's gonna be a hell of a revolutionary model. :D there's only one thing that bugs me a little bit when I looked at the pic on the previous site. Isn't the face just a little bit too small in comparison to the whole head? I know you've already fixed it, it's just.. well in the real world, i'd be half a centimeter or a whole one stretched to each side. I'm comparing him to the original model from JKA, in my head.

And a bit of an off-topic question, is there any chance facial expressions could be incorporated into JKA? The face animations always seemed kinda dead to me in-game.

Bek likes this

@@Psyk0Sith you're also still around? Remember me from the old days, back in 2004/05? I was quite active on JK3files but under different names. My last one, which I had for 3 years, was master_rookus

But it's true, I'm already playing with the Luke model, that looks exactly like him from the movies. Kyle is in a big need of a remake. And right after him, ROSH everybody. Is there any Rosh remodeling going on? Else I could take a try at it.

On the topic of cinematics. I was talking with Archangel a while ago and we thought of this idea - High def facial rig with the talking animations recorded in 3ds Max against extracted audio from the DF2 videos. This will allow accurate lipsyncing, rather than what we currently have in JKA right now. Not sure when I'll get to doing a test run with this, but it's a very interesting idea that I thought I'd share with you all.

@@Psyk0Sith you're also still around? Remember me from the old days, back in 2004/05? I was quite active on JK3files but under different names. My last one, which I had for 3 years, was master_rookus

But it's true, I'm already playing with the Luke model, that looks exactly like him from the movies. Kyle is in a big need of a remake. And right after him, ROSH everybody. Is there any Rosh remodeling going on? Else I could take a try at it.

There really isn't any remodeling going on with Rosh, but some retexturing has happened.

http://jkhub.org/files/file/1825-rosh-jedi/

Sure, if archangel & eezstreet ever get around to their "facial mod". :P

The Kyle model looks great! I'm working on it ;)

I'm focusing my limited free-time on the Jan Ors head project... as soon as I get the mesh finished I will start on the facial rig. I've conceptualized and laid out how the lip-sync will work-- and discussed ideas with eezstreet and DT, I will need to have the rig/script export out the necessary text data files for the expression/phoneme data as @@eezstreet requested in his "challenge" thread. There will be the face_lip-sync.gla that will be driven by the humanoid head bone.

I hope to have some demo stuff by Christmas.

DT85 likes this
  • 2 weeks later...

This is about as close as I can get:

1y4my0.png

I so much like this, that i even can really say it.  But i think hair not so accurate as they coul be. For exemple this form was more close as far as i can see

I tried to make new Kyle model for our mod too, which would look more like Jason Court. For now I made this one (made new head, body is standard):

trru.png

It would be interesting to watch your progress in making new model of Kyle Katarn. Good luck!

But you're skin work looks better...if you just unite you're effords for this one, you will achive a 100% accurate masterpiece. More than sure.

Don't get me wrong, i love you're work,just trying to help make it even more better. :)

DT85 likes this