Uploading Files

This isnt much a big deal since I rarly upload or try to upload anything to this site but I like to make sure I understand fully of the requirments.  *And I rarly even post/thread here so have at thy*

Mainly Ill just pick at Maps. I try to upload a map once before and I was told in a random message I had to contact the author and get approval to upload such a map. I understand the Idea here, Copyright protection right? But correct me here, Ive seen a few maps on this site uploaded by Other people then the Author themselves and with no clear mark of stating who the author is.
Ill pick a random map here, Bespin FFA.  The uploader here says "JkHub"  but I did a google search and found the author to be tysplo, who I assume is no longer here and so how did they get approval to upload it?

Another weird thing is I see a few classic maps by legendary people who made them uploading maps but come on, we all know most of these guys are no longer around and to sign up just to upload there maps is little fetchy to me.     Im just blowing off hot air here but I find the Idea to ask approval of maps that were made years ago as far back to 2008 and try to contact people who no longer use the same email to upload their maps to a site which preserves them.    

I dont know if its picky people or what but I guess I found it to be annoying having a map I assume many dont remember to be rejected because I couldnt get ahold of a guy who may not even be alive or reachable with no reply back after this stating my file will be deleted because of it.  But oh well I guess I just wanted to know more on the whole Uploading files and requirements to do so.  

One of the main points of this site is to make all mods available and downloadable to anyone. The JKHub team launched this site by reaching out to all authors of all of the mods that were made available here. They asked permission to do so and gave the authors 2 options, to either sign up and take ownership of their mods with a profile, or let the JKHub team just upload them. That's how they did it with me anyway.

That said, uploading other people's work is sort of a grey area. I think the agreed upon notion is that if you can't contact the author in any way and have tried your best to do so, then give credit as much as possible. In the description, the readme, anywhere. That's really for uploading something that is based off of or uses someone else's work.

As far as just straight uploading it, that would be up to the staff member that approves it, I would assume.

tysplo didn't make the Bespin FFA map, that's from jk2. Anyone can transfer the maps from JK2 to JKA, but tysplo prolly just uploaded it to jk3files or something, like others did. There are quite a few uploads and duplicates of jk2, maps for jka on jk3files

Caelum spent a very long time contacting authors of all the files he could find. As therfiles said, those who gave permission for their files to be hosted but didn't want to create an account for themselves had their files hosted by the JKHub account. (Which took many, many days of uploading by the then-staff!) Some authors have created accounts since and their files have been shifted to be in their name. But yeah, JKHub account = files with permission acquired by staff members but where authors do not have existing accounts on the website.

therfiles likes this

Your file was denied along with some other files because we are going to be posting some new rules for file submissions soon. One of the rules is that the file will have to contain a readme containing certain information. Once we post these new rules (which should be in the next couple of days) please consider reuploading the file, and the staff will discuss our opinions on whether or not it should be approved. The rules will also be posted as a news article so others who submitted files that were recently denied know to resubmit their files following these new rules.

Thanks.

Circa likes this

Your file was denied along with some other files because we are going to be posting some new rules for file submissions soon. One of the rules is that the file will have to contain a readme containing certain information. Once we post these new rules (which should be in the next couple of days) please consider reuploading the file, and the staff will discuss our opinions on whether or not it should be approved. The rules will also be posted as a news article so others who submitted files that were recently denied know to resubmit their files following these new rules.

Thanks.

It's funny that you mention having to contain a readme actually.  Just the other day i uploaded a file and, for some reason, i felt compelled to include a readme in it lol.  Maybe it's because i used to make things for HaloMaps and it's required there, so perhaps it's just normal for me to do it here too xD

It's funny that you mention having to contain a readme actually.  Just the other day i uploaded a file and, for some reason, i felt compelled to include a readme in it lol.  Maybe it's because i used to make things for HaloMaps and it's required there, so perhaps it's just normal for me to do it here too xD

Adding a readme has been common practice eversince people started modding for Doom . . .

Fighter is talking about including the original readme from the original author from which you borrowed from or who made the mod. Not a readme in general. That should be common sense to write up and include, if not required.

Fighter is talking about including the original readme from the original author from which you borrowed from or who made the mod. Not a readme in general. That should be common sense to write up and include, if not required.

One of the rules is that the file will have to contain a readme containing certain information.

I don't see that in his post . . .

Signature.jpg

I'll just weigh in here with my original post in the staff forum which prompted these new rules, might clarify things.

"Szico VII - (01 September 2013 - 03:07 PM) Is there a "submission rules" page anywhere - Im getting tired of all these files with inadequate readme.txt that dont even contain the author name, file name , copyright info or basic description. Ive been rejecting any without author name or copyright detail so far"

As for the rules, my suggestions seem to be mostly agreed with by the staff but they're not finalized yet. See below for my original post with suggested inclusion criteria, mandatory in bold.

Author

File Name and Version (the version I think is important here as several people are submitting new files to replace old ones with no version change obvious and we end up overwriting the originals on our dropbox as we dont realise there's already a file there. Or if we do realise, how to we rename the file if theres no version info - or is this just me?)

Date

Filesize

Description +/- installation instructions

Copyright/License (as this is a required option in a dropdown box when submitting I guess it doesnt HAVE to be in the readme, but I think it should be.)

Credits +/- Permissions if required. (This would likely mean including original readme.txt files from other users content)

I do not feel it is enough to write this in the file description box and not include in the readme.txt as part of the actual distributable file.

My 2 cents.

Circa likes this
  • 2 weeks later...

Funnily enough, myself and Caelum (When setting up the Files area) decided against readmes, simply for the fact that it contains duplicate information. All the information that is included in the readme can be found in the description of the file or in the right corner of the file on JKHub itself. I'm not against re-adding readmes but personally it just seems like extra work for no real advantage.

Of course, if you've used someone elses work then it makes sense to include their readme (If they have one, or a simple link to their file would be more than enough).

Funnily enough, myself and Caelum (When setting up the Files area) decided against readmes, simply for the fact that it contains duplicate information. All the information that is included in the readme can be found in the description of the file or in the right corner of the file on JKHub itself. I'm not against re-adding readmes but personally it just seems like extra work for no real advantage.

Of course, if you've used someone elses work then it makes sense to include their readme (If they have one, or a simple link to their file would be more than enough).

Yeah. It's a shame we have to add the requirement, but so many files just kept poring in that we could do nothing with because they weren't properly cited. It stinks, I know.