I don't think gtkradiant 1.6 will support jk2\jka

• 2 weeks later...

It really aggravates me off that my computer should be able to compile a large map in 60 seconds, but this old software turns it into something more like 60 minutes.

My computer is 64 bit and I have about 64 megs of ram. Should compile this stuff in no time flat so makes me not want to map.

Generally, people seem to be confused about using 1.6.3 or assume that it is completely unusable for JKA.

This is not the case. You can use 1.6.3 for JKA with no negative affects that I have found. 1.6.3 and 1.4.0 are very similar in most respects. So why should you switch? For one, 1.6.x is being actively developed. This means that when you have issues, you can actually report them to their GitHub and have your issue looked into. Another one is that if there are features you'd like to see after having used 1.6.x you can suggest them.

In any case, here are some of the things I have found that are an improvement over 1.4.0 so far.

Easier to read fonts

Better file browser(It's basically 1.5.0's)

Texture tool. If you work in brush primitives, it's basically like UVmapping a plane over a texture. Quite cool.

[Active support. More important than you might think.

Possibility of suggesting new features.

Anyway, Installing 1.6.3 is actually quite simple!

First, acquire the editor itself from this page.

It's not a packed installer like the previous versions. The entire editor is packaged in a zip. So, you can extract it directly in X:\Program Files\ 

Or wherever you'd like it. I like to keep mine in Program Files for consistency.

At any rate, you are going to need the JKA pack before doing anything.

So, go into the GtkRadiant-1.6-20121007 folder(Where ever you extracted it to) and find the "installs" folder.

The JKA pack is stored online to be downloaded VIA svn.(subversion)

This means we need an SVN client. I highly recommend Tortoise for beginners because it's quite easy to understand. If you know what you are doing, skip that step and get yourself a command line svn.

Anyway, download the appropriate Tortoise SVN from this page.

Install Tortoise SVN and let it do everything it requires. Once you have finished, you'll have the option to SVN Checkout directly into a folder by right clicking. 

So, return to the "installs" folder in the GtkRadiant-1.6-20121007 folder. Right click anywhere in the blank space and find the SVN Checkout option. Click it. You'll get a Checkout file dialogue.

In URL of repository: Copy and paste the following.

svn://svn.icculus.org/gtkradiant-gamepacks/JAPack/trunk/

Make sure Checkout directory: matches the path to the JAPack folder.(it should make the JAPack folder automatically)

X:\X\GtkRadiant-1.6-20121007\installs\JAPack\

(Your path will obviously reflect the location to which you originally extracted 1.6. Make sure there is a JAPack path after \installs\ in the Checkout directory. It should do it automatically. However, double check.)

Once you've verified all the paths are correct, press OK. It may take a while because the pack is quite large. (The pack includes all the models, so that is why.)

Once it finishes, you may now finally execute radiant.exe in your GtkRadiant-1.6-20121007 folder. (Run as administrator if you have UAC turned on. You know, that annoying dialogue that pops up and asks if you're sure you want to run the program.)

A quick note. It may take a while for it to actually start up it's first time. Wait patiently. It's not broken. Go make coffee, take a shower, clean your windows etc...

Once it finally starts up, you'll be able to successfully indicate Jedi Academy as the game you'd like to map for.

If you encounter any errors check the following:

Did you follow all the steps to get JAPack via svn?

Are all your Jedi Academy assets properly installed in correct paths?

Did you run radiant as administrator if you have UAC turned on?

It really aggravates me off that my computer should be able to compile a large map in 60 seconds, but this old software turns it into something more like 60 minutes.

My computer is 64 bit and I have about 64 megs of ram. Should compile this stuff in no time flat so makes me not want to map.

Throwing more memory at your computer won't make it run faster. The limiting factor in compiling maps (and especially the lighting stage) is your CPU. This is why movie CG is rendered using multiple servers, each running the calculations on graphics card (which are very well suited to lighting calculations).

The JKA pack is stored online to be downloaded VIA svn.(subversion)

This means we need an SVN client. I highly recommend Tortoise for beginners because it's quite easy to understand. If you know what you are doing, skip that step and get yourself a command line svn.

Anyway, download the appropriate Tortoise SVN from this page.

Install Tortoise SVN and let it do everything it requires. Once you have finished, you'll have the option to SVN Checkout directly into a folder by right clicking. 

So, return to the "installs" folder in the GtkRadiant-1.6-20121007 folder. Right click anywhere in the blank space and find the SVN Checkout option. Click it. You'll get a Checkout file dialogue.

In URL of repository: Copy and paste the following.

svn://svn.icculus.org/gtkradiant-gamepacks/JAPack/trunk/

Make sure Checkout directory: matches the path to the JAPack folder.(it should make the JAPack folder automatically)

X:\X\GtkRadiant-1.6-20121007\installs\JAPack\

(Your path will obviously reflect the location to which you originally extracted 1.6. Make sure there is a JAPack path after \installs\ in the Checkout directory. It should do it automatically. However, double check.)

Once you've verified all the paths are correct, press OK. It may take a while because the pack is quite large. (The pack includes all the models, so that is why.)

This is outdated. The JAPack is now included by default (since it's been optimized for size).

64MB Ram? Wow!

Joking aside, this made me curious as to whether the compile could be sped up. I have enough work on my hands so no promises, but if you could send me a map that takes forever and the settings you use to compile it I might try to investigate why it's so slow and what can be done about it. I'm afraid major speedups won't be possible without major changes though...

i hate to spam the thread but what would you have to do in order to use the entire cubic area in gtk in one map? code mod? new engine?

What problems arise if you try? You'll need to increase the view distance and portal distance and lightmapscale?

So why don't you just start a new topic since you have an entirely unrelated new question?

Unless youre using the >4GB version uploaded here and a 64bit OS it cant utilise more than 2GB anyway.

Well, if it were to run out of RAM it'd crash with "safe_malloc failed" instead of taking forever.

Unless youre using the >4GB version uploaded here and a 64bit OS it cant utilise more than 2GB anyway.

I recall trying that thing, and I opened by task manager to see how much ram it was using, and it was using 2gb.

I asked Obsidian and he said it was probably working just fine as it only occasionally would go over 2 gb anyways, but idk I wasn't that impressed but I didn't really do timed comparisons between the two.

And ya I meant 64 gigs of ram. My processor is an overclocked itel core 7 3930 at 4.1 ghz. 

It's eight X 8 GB of DD3 1866 mhz ripjaws.

My hard drive is entirely solid state so my computer boots up in like 3 seconds. And it can run crysis 3 on 2560X1600 resolution maxed out settings and it stays locked at the default fps without deviating. It's kind of a beast

talon-v4-internal-knockout-small.png

This is a similar looking PC with same frame that the company makes. It's called a talon model.

I recall trying that thing, and I opened by task manager to see how much ram it was using, and it was using 2gb.

I asked Obsidian and he said it was probably working just fine as it only occasionally would go over 2 gb anyways, but idk I wasn't that impressed but I didn't really do timed comparisons between the two.

It's not meant to use more Ram, it just keeps it from crashing if it does.

idk what u could do with my map anyway. It won't compile without lomem so u know. I am pretty good at the -vis phase stuff so Idk how much more optimizing can me done.

The map is about 10 times the size of any other map. Have u played it? I'd like to make another add version at some point.

http://jkhub.org/files/file/1422-expedition/

Here's from the readme in which I listed the basic compile settings and world spawn settings. Let me know what u would change if anything. And yes I need lightmapscal of 8 for it to compile. It goes crazy if I much below that.

Compile Information

bsp_q3map2/q3map2: (final) BSP -meta -notjunc, -vis, -light -fast -samples 2 -lomem

note it was compiled using 2.5.16 q3map2 compiler, which is not the default compiler of gtkradiant 1.4.
In case any other jk2 mappers try a dot product shader (terrain blending), they must update the compiler or
use gtkradiant 1.5 for their compiling since it comes with an updated compiler. This is the tutorial that I
used for terrain blending

I used DarthG's new_system.pk3 mostly for its subtle_hint shaders but I also used some of the pack's
caulk_water shaders and a few others. I'm not sure where I downloaded, but this thread at least talks about it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Worldspawn Information

_lightmapscale 8
_blocksize 0
_chopsize 0
ambient 15

Thats exactly when the >2GB version is useful - it'll compile without needing lomem, thus often drastically reducing compile times. Also useful if you get safe_malloc in the -meta stage (yes, it can happen) as theres no -lomem switch for that.

ah I see. Ya that could speed things up perhaps. btw i dont like how u cant see the red line if there is a leak in this GUI thing. 

..and that's why my computer was probably still using 2 gigs with it only. I will have to reformat my computer before I try this thought. gtk is all messed up right now.