Wrenches in the motor

Ill be randomly posting all of the misc. help I need to complete the mod. Things I'm just not too sure where else to post. Things that might be holding me up from progressing

Today's topic;

When I export an .obj out of Softimage, it looks great. I can then import said model into Milkshape, Roadkill, ZBrush, etc. with no worries. When I import the .obj into milkshape, then export as MD3... sometimes I get a weird error where like 80% of the model will be correct, and the rest will be like, flopped to the other side or completely backwards? Seems like a transform freezing issue or something right? But how can I be getting these issues just randomly? How do the transform issues don't show in Milkshape or ZBrush or Roadkill but in Radiant and ingame the MD3's are sometimes wonky? Any ideas? It causes me to rebuild like... I dunno a few models. Not that bad, but still... ill make 5 models and have to fully rebuild 1 because of this. Any ideas? I center the model back at 0 0 0 in 3d space before I export.

jc89.jpg
Transforms all froze and modelling froze at 0,0,0 before initial export of .obj from Softimage. Imported into Milkshape, connected with texture file, generated .qc file, renamed the 2 paths, then exported MD#. Imported the MD3 into Pakscape, saved that, opened Radiant and this is what I get

So polygons are essentially being flipped? In Softimage try to keep the option of backface culling on in the display settings which can help avoid you drawing polygons with the vertex's in the wrong order.

A transform issue will only cause all polygons to be flipped or the backfaces facing out, which of course games do not render backfaces unless told to via shaders in the instance of JA. You can see this by giving your model negative scaling values.

My best advice would be to keep backface culling enabled and if you draw a polygon oddly causing it to not face out with all the others around it you can easily spot it, select it and use the tool "invert polygons" in the model>modify>polymesh menu.

Freezing the objects construction history and transforms will not fix polygons that are individually inverted.

I can see why things are getting messed up, the model is a total mess. There are literally tons of edges, polygons and vertex's that are not contributing to the overall shape and volume of the model.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8h5d1ssw8xa81f1/ext_corridor.obj

Import that, compare it with yours and notice the differences as well as the lower polygon count without loss of detail.

Your topology was to blame for the errors.

So you don't see those intersecting edges that do not add any volume? Or that edgeloop going around the outside of those squareish shapes that run in parallel with the boundary (lt blue) edges?

I posted a link to the OBJ, trust me, if you look at them both in the same scene you WILL see a huge difference. Make sure you have the scene stats turned on for selected and unselected objects to see the difference in polycounts.

Currently it sits at a mere 142 vertex's and 212 triangles without any loss of volume or detail. Previous numbers were 225 vertex's and 365 triangles.

ChalklYne likes this

I did notice somehow the extra edge loops on those weird shapes. I was having troube building those weird shapes with very few tris. you killed that though man good work there. This is a rebuild because I've had to build this peice 3 times now because of that weird error. no wonder now that i look at it. I was just confused about that weird shape and am not really sure how I ended up with that result as compared to your edit. Awesome stuff tho.

Next...

I need to apply an env stage to this shader

models/map_objects/tiefacility/huge_light_hollow
{
    {
        map $lightmap
        rgbGen identity
    }
    {
        map models/map_objects/tiefacility/huge_light_hollow_diff
        blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO
        rgbGen identity
    }
    {
        map models/map_objects/tiefacility/huge_light_hollow_spec
        blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_COLOR
        detail
        alphaGen lightingSpecular
    }
    {
        map  models/map_objects/tiefacility/huge_light_hollow_glow
        blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
        glow
        rgbGen identity
    }
}

I want it to have an alphagen const integer so I can adjust the amount of "reflection" in it. Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...