JA: Enhanced Code Base

For the next release I'll just use the ignition flare I showed (but with the right colour), but I might well put the nicer ones in later, thanks @@Serenity937. That means things are looking a bit like this:

Changes since last release:

• Small bugfixes
  • Saberthrow is now a force power - use it with +button9
  • Better saber holster placement
  • Nicer RGB saber menus
  • Added ignition flare
  • Added @@DT85's nicer jedi_hm
  • An early version of katarn saberstyle
  • Adjustable saber radius for SFX sabers
  • being able to detach the eweb from the mount and carry it round  :P
  • support for eezstreet's .glm viewmodels
  • option to not holster a saber in .sab file
  • fixed tag_holsterorigin

WIP / todo - some may be for later releases:

• sabercolorRGB field for .npc and .sab files, so they can still have roughly the correct colour in base
  • saber crystals - have done black sabers and unstable blades so far but haven't finished up the mechanics entirely. idea as in JK:E discussions: you'll be able to pick some crystals up in secret areas that allow you to have special sabers when building saber #2, like the darksaber and unstable blades
  • fix SFX saber end being past the blade end
  • RGB sliders in player menus
  • ragdoll mode with head swaps is a little broken
  • allow the second saber to be a custom saber
  • show SFX sabers in menus
  • add menus for all the cvars I've added
  • swap non-head parts

Any ideas / suggestions / things I've missed?

Omicron, Keyten, GPChannel and 3 others like this

For the next release I'll just use the ignition flare I showed (but with the right colour), but I might well put the nicer ones in later, thanks @@Serenity937. That means things are looking a bit like this:

Changes since last release:

• Small bugfixes
  • Saberthrow is now a force power - use it with +button9
  • Better saber holster placement
  • Nicer RGB saber menus
  • Added ignition flare
  • Added @@DT85's nicer jedi_hm
  • An early version of katarn saberstyle
  • Adjustable saber radius for SFX sabers

WIP / todo - some may be for later releases:

• sabercolorRGB field for .npc and .sab files, so they can still have roughly the correct colour in base
  • saber crystals - have done black sabers so far but haven't finished up the mechanics entirely. idea as in JK:E discussions: you'll be able to pick some crystals up in secret areas that allow you to have special sabers when building saber #2, like the darksaber and unstable blades
  • RGB sliders in player menus
  • ragdoll mode with head swaps is a little broken
  • fix tag_holsterorigin eventually
  • custom saber issues in saber menus past the first
  • option to not holster a saber in .sab file
  • being able to detach the eweb from the mount and carry it round :P have messed around with this a bit
  • show SFX sabers in menus
  • add menus for all the cvars I've added

Any ideas / suggestions / things I've missed?

Hmm... that crystal idea is pretty damn awesome. Yes please, put that in! :)

Think you could expand what you can do with .sab files? Like ability to regenerate Force, Health, Shield and some such?

And like increasing maximum amount of Force, Health, Shield? Would be cool methinks. :)

Oooh! One idea I had (may be too late) is the whole jailbreak HUD thing. I'd love to add more elements to a HUD .menu, but it's hardcoded, so it only looks for certain UI elements. The ability to add things that can be manipulated through CVAR checks and the like would be soooo sweet! The inflexibility of the HUD holds me back on a lot of projects!

Angel Soul and Rooxon like this

ROFL!!!! xD xD Looks like something taken from Robocop movies! LOLOL!

Oooh! One idea I had (may be too late) is the whole jailbreak HUD thing. I'd love to add more elements to a HUD .menu, but it's hardcoded, so it only looks for certain UI elements. The ability to add things that can be manipulated through CVAR checks and the like would be soooo sweet! The inflexibility of the HUD holds me back on a lot of projects!

Yeah, you got that right. Sheesh - I wanted to make my Castlevania: Lords of Shadow HUD animated and as nicey as it is in the Castlevania game, but there's just so much you can't do with the HUD coding.

@@therfiles well why would it be too late? Most of the time, things get done "too late" because people think it's so, not because it actually is. Where there's will, there's also possibility. ;) I also think new hud elements or more options would be great! Just think about how cool a lifebar would look like, that would drain part by part, like, for each and every point of health a single bit. Not this 4-part bar that's the only possibility now. Hand on my heart, it looks awfull and one of the biggest flaws in JKA is the HUD.

therfiles and Angel Soul like this

I've finished the eweb detach thing for now - when you change weapons away from it you automatically drop it on the ground. I think it's probably a tiny bit overpowered.

It looks like @@eezstreet already made it so there can be extra hud elements in OpenJK, so that should already be included in this mod.

// Draw all the HUD elements --eez
cgi_UI_Menu_Paint( cgi_UI_GetMenuByName( "lefthud" ), qtrue );

If it's not working / doesn't do everything you want to be able to do I can see what I can do though.

Circa and therfiles like this

Thanks for looking into this @@redsaurus! I appreciate your hard work. I was unaware that OpenJK had the feature in it already...very exciting! But it seems like there could be a problem. I ran a basic test: I added a new element to the hud.menu with a simple cvar test (meaning, the new element will only show if a cvar is set to a certain value). Unfortunately, the element did not appear when I set the cvar. But, by random chance, I /map'd to a new map, and the HUD element was drawn over the loading screen! (WHAT) And then it was gone and back to the original hud when the game finished loading. So it seems like the game is acknowledging the new HUD modifications, but it's not loading the hud dynamically. I think the hud is only loaded once per session and requires a manual reset (loadhud, or a new map) to set the new one in place. Does this make sense?

Here you go!

Poked things some more. Seems like only the specific mod I was running/building didn't work. In a simpler mod, the hud element appeared instantly (when "set player luke" was run, that's the cvar)! So this is good news! Unfortunatly, it still draws over the loading screen menu, but that's not a huge deal at the moment. This is gonna be sweet. The mod in question has TONS of redundancies and files, so when I prune some things down, maybe that will help...

Thanks again for all your help.

Thanks, that's useful, I've started investigating and it seems like it actually sort of works in base! It will show up on the loading screen in base if "player" is "luke", but just not in-game. Hopefully it shouldn't be too hard to sort out. One possible solution might be to have a hud2.menu or similar that's also drawn from and leave the hud.menu to store all the positions of stuff.

I quickly made some improvements to holstering so you can set

holsterPlace <none/hips/back>

in the .sab file. Defaults to hips unless it's the sith sword. The player doesn't do the twirl when holstering the saber anymore either.

Definitely planning to do a release soon.

EDIT: I think I've found a way to fix the thing showing up on the loading screen @@therfiles - I'll have a release out in the next few days.

Rooxon, Circa, Stoiss and 1 other like this

Yes, of course I did not have much of an idea where I schould place it. Or how. Did you fix it yourself or schould I do it? Because I'll try to place the very same tag for other hilts in the same position too. And once I have this position figured out, I can go equip my packs with holster rings.

I only flipped it in blender to test things out, you'll have to make the change yourself. Currently I'm adding a slight extra offset (of 1 unit) out from the hips tag, but that might change in the future.

Here's the new release for Mac/Windows (39.6MB). If you don't already have it (and you're on Windows) you'll need the MSVC++ 2010 redistributable (http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=5555)

Features and Commands

All OpenJK features and fixes.
RGB Sabers The can be set in the menus or by setting the sabercolor to a hex code in the console - for example "/sabercolor 1 xff0000" will set the first lightsaber blade to be red. It should be possible to set the sabercolours of NPCs by setting their sabercolor to a hex code in the .npc file.
SFX Sabers SFX Sabers can be enabled in the console by setting cg_SFXSabers to 1.
Ignition Flare A lightsaber ignition flare can be enabled in the console by setting cg_ignitionFlare to 1.
Custom Sabers Now lightsabers can be customised like the player species. An example customisable hilt is included thanks to AshuraDX.
Saber Holsters Lightsabers are now holstered when not in use. A tag_holsterorigin can be added to a hilt for better placement. Adding "holsterPlace <none/hips/back>" in the .sab file specifies where a hilt will be holstered.
Headswapping Several new heads are available for the human male and human female species. You can add your own heads - see the .headswap files in the sp_custom.pk3 for examples. NPCs can have heads set using the playerHeadModel and customHeadSkin commands in their .npc file.
Better Entity Spawning The /spawn command now supports entity keys, e.g. "spawn fx_runner fxFile the/file".
Raz0r's MP Movement Raz0r's MP-style movement from the SP speedrun version can be enabled by getting g_MPmovement to 1.
Extra Player Tints (Unused) Playermodels are able to have multiple tints. If you enter “newPlayerTint 0 <R> <G> <B>”, any shader stages for the player with “rgbGen lightingDiffuseEntity 0” will be tinted to this colour rather than the usual.
Ghoul2 view models First person view weapon models are now allowed to use .glm models using eezstreet's code.
Detachable E-Web The player can detach an E-Web from its mount by pressing the Use Force button whilst using it.
Improved jedi_hm DT's very nice improved Human Male jedi is included.
Katarn Saberstyle A gun / saber stance. Not completely ready yet, but you play around with it (with cheats enabled) by doing "give weapon_bryar_pistol" and then "setsaberstyle katarn" in the console.
Saberthrow Saberthrow is now a force power.

Credits

Thanks to AJL for the SFX Sabers stuff (including SFX_Sabers.pk3). Thanks to @@Circa for the icons for the new heads. Thanks to @@Raz0r for the MP-style movement code. Thanks to @@AshuraDX for the saber hilt. Thanks to @@DT85 for the improved jedi_hm. Thanks to the JKG team for the unstable saber blade graphics and shaders. Thanks to @@eezstreet for the Ghoul 2 weapon view model code. Thanks to the OpenJK maintainers and contributors.

Let me know if anything doesn't work etc. The hud stuff hopefully will be working properly now @@therfiles as it's fixed (afaik) in OpenJK now.