Level 1: Nar shaddaa

@DT.  Overall I like what you have done with the level.  I think you should take what suggestions work and don't bother with those that don't. 

My personal suggestion would be to make the level a bit larger. For example the starting point seems a bit cramped. but this is just me.  and there are other areas that seem cramped as well.  However this is just my 2 cents.  Keep it up though its coming along just fine. 

@@DT85

Do the level however you want. I'm big on modders taking whatever creative freedom they want to. Sure sometimes the more 'faithful' we can be to a design is better, but I say do what we like.

I was looking forward to fighting the Mark droid at the end as one example of creative freedom. New areas, like behind the bar, that reward being bad or good is a good choice too. Like Eezstreet said, 'if I wanted DF2 exactly I'd play that instead.' In fact I haven't played it in a while so I may do that soon.

This next version of the map promises to stay closer to the original, but still not a 1:1 copy. Changes:

- removal of ALL railings

- changed start area

- new end area that follows the original design more closely

- fixed the majority of glow textures that weren't glowing

- a few texture swaps

Well I've just finished scripting up the two new lifts. Here's what's left:

- brush cleanup - done 

- the addition of fans for the hall leading straight to 8t88's ship - done 

- finish up the texturing - done

- add lighting - done 

- finish populating the new areas with details - done 

- attach 8t88's ship platform and tweak it to work with the new area additions - done

- see if the mark1 boss is still feasible from a gameplay point of view - done

therfiles likes this

I guess, the level could be even more interesting, if you added some elements from the novel. I am sure, the book and the radio novel depict more on Nar Shaddaa, than we originally saw in the game. Though it is not necessary to make Nar Shaddaa too crowdy or smth like that.

Jeff likes this

Break up the monotiny of the "distant" city scape. Add windows, walkways, civillians etc.
Add/keep speeder flybys, or atleast something similar to JA's Courascant level.
Overall, the original Nar looked WWWAAAYYY to dead, then again so did JO's rendition also.
Recommend using the civillians from the MotS mod also.

DT. likes this

Check out some of my previous works:
JK Hub - [Editor: Zero Raven]

Yeah I was planning on going back and putting views into the windows after the rest of the map was completed structure-wise.

I have a few speeder flybys on a loop script, may add some more if I can fit them in somewhere without it looking stupid. :P

I liked JO's Nar Shaddaa but now you mention it, it was pretty dead.

The Jedi/Jaden models were only placeholders until I made something better. I'll have a look at the MotS mod civilians and see what quality they are.

We really could use a dedicated texture artist since I have a way better looking lambda shuttle that could go there in place of the base one. ;)

@, if DT decides to release another demo it would still be some time before it's done, I only just started on 8t88 which he will be shown retreating to the shuttle like in the original game. So you might as well stop asking since there is no defined time frame.

So far this is pretty cool, but i gotta say it felt cramped and i didnt feel right. Wasnt to scale as much as i expected it to be. But of course im looking at the demo and what not and is WIP. Just giving my honest thoughts and i dont mean to sound rude.

Yeah, the majority of the map is staying the same but the start area & end area has been changed to be more like the source while still having some differences. ;)

The ending area with the ship is undergoing a radical transformation. Only just realised that my version, old DF2 mod's version and the original DF2 game's version don't reflect what you see in the video. Stay tuned for screens. ;)

Video:

jdqi.png

In-game:

itdc.png

Anyone over at JKHub.net who bitches about this overhaul of the landing platform not being like the original game can kiss it. My first priority it to keep true to what we see in the video, THEN I will keep mostly to the original game. :P

Omicron, hhunter6 and Circa like this

If you are going by the video, than you are under scale. I tried your demo as well very quickly. I only had time to look at the starting area. Felt cramped. As a rule of thumb, try to keep to consistent ramp sizes, ceiling to floor sizes, door frame sizes, cover heights, etc... I didn't have time to decompile your BSP, so I didn't get to look at the .map in Radiant. However, at a quick glance I can see some inconsistencies. 

You artists and your play spaces :P