JKO in Unreal Engine

I don't think it's possible. The only MP "cutscenes" I've ever seen are in siege_destroyer and MB2, and all of them are only played during intermission, after a victory or defeat.

Jedi Knight Galaxies apparently had code for cutscenes though:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/jkgalaxies/videos/npc-interactions-quests-and-dialogue-demo#imagebox

http://www.moddb.com/mods/jkgalaxies/videos/jkg-cinematic-preview#imagebox

This makes me feel like we should make a team, ask him to join, make Star Wars on unreal and leave JKA behind.

Is there any kind of Star Wars team working to create Star Wars in the Unreal Engine? It would seem most of the coding changes would be limited to coding Jedi force powers and a saber system, no?

There was the crew from MB2 doing MB3 on UDK, but they decided to ditch it for an indie project. Would be great if the guy(s) behind this JKO film could make a playable game on UE4.

Is there any kind of Star Wars team working to create Star Wars in the Unreal Engine? It would seem most of the coding changes would be limited to coding Jedi force powers and a saber system, no?

There was the crew from MB2 doing MB3 on UDK, but they decided to ditch it for an indie project. Would be great if the guy(s) behind this JKO film could make a playable game on UE4.

You would have to code literally everything, either through visual scripting in Blueprints, or through C++, the only things you could get "built-in" are project templates that have basic character movement.

You also (and this has been discussed at large before), would be playing a risky game even with a not-for-profit fan game, since you're now up against Disney and EA, two of the most stringent copyright protectors in the business, second probably only to Nintendo.  EA has EXCLUSIVE rights to make Star Wars games for the foreseeable future, and if you think they're going to let potential competition (even in the form of a free fan-made game) come to fruition, you're sadly mistaken.  You would likely been hearing from lawyers and getting cease and desist letters as soon as you gained any publicity.  And that's assuming that Disney/LucasArts(which they kept around for licensing purposes) don't hunt you down first for using the Star Wars IP without permission.

Bek likes this
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really hate EA with a damn passion, I don't know who gave Ea the right to only use the SW ip, but they gave SW to goddamn sh!t-slinging monkeys.

Disney.  Well technically LucasArts did, because while the game development at LucasArts was shutdown, the company/branding was kept running as the "licensing company" for SW related games.  And they in turn handed it to EA.

Bek likes this
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Animations aside, these people really need to work on their cinematography:

- Mon Mothma audio editing cuts super bad. They would've been better off using the original

- Dialogue between Kyle and Jan when they land is too quiet

- The panning of the camera across the cloning pods is awesome! Unfortunately it is ruined very quickly by that cut to Kyle.

- The scene with Galak talking to Desann is too busy. The tie fighters and explosions in the background are a major distraction. Also it is extremely jarring to go from a fast paced action scene to a slow brooding one very quickly.

- The montage of empire working is good, but again ruined by a hasty transition.

- Usually with a trailer like this, we'd be seeing very little of the film. However it seems like we're getting a blow-by-blow synopsis, which I don't much like.

- The framing of Jan's "death" scene is better than in the original game, which was frankly confusing. Props for that. I also like how they've shown how Jan was captured, and I think they did it in a neat way. But it leaves a plot hole: how did Kyle make it to the Valley if his ship was damaged?

- I stopped watching after the Valley scene. The lip syncing was very very off.

I see what they're going for, but the execution just needs so much more work to me. It's hard to take the intro about "quality expanded universe" content seriously when the animations, sound design, camera work (at times) and editing are very rough cut and amateurish. If they intend to do more editing later on I understand, but this is just unwatchable to me I'm sad to say.

Animations aside, these people really need to work on their cinematography:

- Mon Mothma audio editing cuts super bad. They would've been better off using the original

- Dialogue between Kyle and Jan when they land is too quiet

- The panning of the camera across the cloning pods is awesome! Unfortunately it is ruined very quickly by that cut to Kyle.

- The scene with Galak talking to Desann is too busy. The tie fighters and explosions in the background are a major distraction. Also it is extremely jarring to go from a fast paced action scene to a slow brooding one very quickly.

- The montage of empire working is good, but again ruined by a hasty transition.

- Usually with a trailer like this, we'd be seeing very little of the film. However it seems like we're getting a blow-by-blow synopsis, which I don't much like.

- The framing of Jan's "death" scene is better than in the original game, which was frankly confusing. Props for that. I also like how they've shown how Jan was captured, and I think they did it in a neat way. But it leaves a plot hole: how did Kyle make it to the Valley if his ship was damaged?

- I stopped watching after the Valley scene. The lip syncing was very very off.

I see what they're going for, but the execution just needs so much more work to me. It's hard to take the intro about "quality expanded universe" content seriously when the animations, sound design, camera work (at times) and editing are very rough cut and amateurish. If they intend to do more editing later on I understand, but this is just unwatchable to me I'm sad to say.

This is clearly not a reflection of the final content, you can see the improvement from the previous trailer to this one. These are clearly hype videos and essentially previews of what they have so far, which is of course going to be unfinished content. Probably isn't the best time to be reviewing such things, Eez.

Bek likes this

This is clearly not a reflection of the final content, you can see the improvement from the previous trailer to this one. These are clearly hype videos and essentially previews of what they have so far, which is of course going to be unfinished content. Probably isn't the best time to be reviewing such things, Eez.

It's marked as a trailer, that's what I reviewed it as. The animations are still crap, but I gave them the benefit of a doubt that they'd improve upon it. I'm just saying that this could've been laid out better as a trailer is all.

EDIT: And that being said, they did do a few things right. I rather liked a few scenes.