JKO in Unreal Engine

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i found something interesting. What do you think? Sorry if this is somewhere on forum.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151820030868319&set=vb.557319840965694&type=2&theater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-smJhmN5E8

Looks awesome, but I doubt it will ever happen. There is a guy working on a JKO remake ( I think it is in the quake engine, may be wrong) with new models and textures, you can check it out here

http://www.moddb.com/mods/jedi-knight-2-hd-remake

• 1 month later...

Sorry for bump:  this just looks amazing. That's how the game would look like if it came out now.

I would say that Jedi Outcast was a beta for Jedi Academy, which clearly was released 10 years too early.
What happened to Counter-Strike, should happen to Jedi Knight: an updated version to match popular games today.

Then again we've been waiting for that new release for 10 years so.. sith happens...

I would say that Jedi Outcast was a beta for Jedi Academy

You couldn't be any more wrong. JA was a stripped down version of JO, most of everything in JA's assets is copy/pasted from JO with some things stripped out. JA was very obviously a rushed game catering to the small part of the fan base that thought the first 6 levels of JO were too hard.

Omicron, DT., Grab and 2 others like this

I'm actually currently re-making the multiplayer maps on UE4 :D  Well the JKA ones anyhoo.

Did you directly port them over? Or are you starting from scratch and guessing values? I noticed a scale difference of about 3.06 when porting MB2 maps over for MB3 using an ASE compile.

Did you directly port them over? Or are you starting from scratch and guessing values? I noticed a scale difference of about 3.06 when porting MB2 maps over for MB3 using an ASE compile.

I never port things over I prefer to do everything from scratch and get as close in accuracy as possible when it comes to measurements even if it means going back into the game numerous times, taking screenshots and then scaling things accordingly.

You couldn't be any more wrong. JA was a stripped down version of JO, most of everything in JA's assets is copy/pasted from JO with some things stripped out. JA was very obviously a rushed game catering to the small part of the fan base that thought the first 6 levels of JO were too hard.

It is rushed because of LucasArts. They did the same thing with Kotor2. It was supposed to have more animations, features, space battles (That's why there are ships), etc. Raven simply didn't have time. And saying it is just a stripped down version of JKO is wrong, They did add features JKO didn't have.

RancorSNP was saying that he maybe would've made a mod that added the features, but he never did. http://jedibetrayal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=129

BruceJohnJenner likes this
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey there! I'm one of the creators of these machinima pieces. Thank you for the kind comments!  

And I can assure you, the models have not been smooth! They are the original meshes from JO/JA, however we have super-sampled the textures (4096x406), applied a cartoon/paint effect to smooth out any artefacts. The rest is UDK providing lighting, with a few customary tweaks as required. So hats off to Raven for making such great models! 

The Darth Bane face is, however, a higher resolution asset, because he's bad ass and deserves it :)

Ok so now that I've had a read through this thread, I thought I'd weigh in with a simple "we're doing this for fun and for free". We're fully aware of how polarising our project is for some, and the arguments presented here against the project are entirely with merit, though clearly we represent our work as being an entirely valid enterprise. We have never claimed ownership over any of the assets we've converted, nor ever would. The quality associated with Star Wars often draws very harsh but just comparisons with amateur projects, but we all have to hold ourselves up to a standard in order to improve. Our goal with this is simple - can we recycle a 10+ year old game into a movie? I'm sure like us you've wondered why some games couldn't easily be adapted, using the actual game assets themselves? Well, we want to answer that very question. Maybe game devs might have new life for old games?     

And as for matinee and UDK, I can assure you I know the software well, and every single piece of character animation you've seen thus far features blending via a custom animtree, so feel free to beat up my animation skills even further :) The real challenge is to make the game animations as *invisible* as possible, and sometimes they put up a heroic fight to remain true to their origins. With the exception of the KOTOR fight stuff, we've limited ourselves to only using the animation featured in JO/JA, with the occasional cleanup on Motionbuilder. This is the challenge we set ourselves. Likewise, we've done quite a lot of expansion on the original levels, and sometimes have created entirely new sets using the shape language already established, in order to expand the scope of the story. The fight between Kyle and Tavion features a new area below the platform they traditionally fight on, simply because it made sense.  

In short, we welcome criticism, because it's better than apathy, and you'll find us perfectly reasonable, though we'll most probably suggest the shortcomings are due to us being a two man team with only time and the original games as resources. I would like to suggest, however, if it was as easy to mash all of this up in matinee as one of the more discerning chaps here has pointed out, we'd have finished a long time ago. Oh god, if only that was the case :)

Thanks for your interest in our project!    

eezstreet, Grab, Bek and 6 others like this
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...