[MAP] Hedge Maze (CV64/LOD)

Also, as much as I love what you've done, is there a way to offset the layers to make it more realistic? Like have layer 1, then layer 2 will be shifted a bit up and to the right, and layer three will have the texture mirrored, and so on? And lastly I'm a bit confused. Are you making a model of the hedges or a shader? I understand the other foliage like flowers was going to be modeled, but I was hoping for just a shader for the hedges to that I could just apply it to the brushwork I've already done. It would be a massive pain to try and redo it all.

No point in having layers if its just a texture. you will either have to use models, or recreate what he did in Radiant.  I had the textures layered to show depth and stuff and you were saying they didn't look well maintained. I think that's why he has his rather box-ey. Recreating it from the model he's making will be simple. He'll probably make you some like 10' sections, and you just tap the space bar in radiant and duplicate it and move them along replacing whatever hedge models you have. The method you are going for will look almost exactly like the N64 version, just maybe better textures. Up to you tho

@@AshuraDX: Sorry man but I could never get the .ase exporter to work. Here's the .map file if someone can convert it:

http://www.mediafire.com/?3ibzo3eviturdor

Also, as much as I love what you've done, is there a way to offset the layers to make it more realistic? Like have layer 1, then layer 2 will be shifted a bit up and to the right, and layer three will have the texture mirrored, and so on? And lastly I'm a bit confused. Are you making a model of the hedges or a shader? I understand the other foliage like flowers was going to be modeled, but I was hoping for just a shader for the hedges to that I could just apply it to the brushwork I've already done. It would be a massive pain to try and redo it all.

allright i'll try to catch szico onlnie for the conversion

okay now a few things :

the hedge model was an exmapel what I'd like you to do with your hedges , using different offsets for each texture layer shouldnt be a problem with gtk's texturing tool

the flowers wont be modeled , I was thinknig of using a sprite based "grass" shader with a flower image so isntead of a grass halms you get flowers on all brushe using the shader

@@ChalklYne: Not at all, I wasn't trying to say that your didn't look well kept, it was just thrown out there as something I wanted to make sure happened with this, that's all. Nothing wrong with yours at all!

@@AshuraDX: Alright so, just so I'm clear...

For the hedges you're going to make me a texture (with some transparencies) that I can then stack together in radiant, using thin brushes and offsetting each layer for realism. Is that right? Are you also making a solid texture for the innermost layer? And I'm down with whatever you wish to do with the flowers, sounds good to me.

I'm curious about how the bottom of his robes will look when walking, it might come out rather awkward and stiff. Worst case scenario you could cut them off... maybe have him floating instead of walking? In any case I'm sure you've got a plan so I'll just wait to see the end result. :)

Well the plan was to have him hovering maybe a foot off the ground... then change his crouch anim to him flying and change all crouch anims accordingly to be fly instead of crouch. So he's always in the air a bit. But I really want to try some things with the cloth like anims with tails and stuff if I can get a complete xsi file with all of the anims and maybe a week to figure out how to tag each one and transfer correctly

Long story short.. yeh I gotta plan. he'll be ok.

that N64 Hud would be cool if someone incorporated the saber styles and stuff into it

Well the plan was to have him hovering maybe a foot off the ground... then change his crouch anim to him flying and change all crouch anims accordingly to be fly instead of crouch. So he's always in the air a bit. But I really want to try some things with the cloth like anims with tails and stuff if I can get a complete xsi file with all of the anims and maybe a week to figure out how to tag each one and transfer correctly

Long story short.. yeh I gotta plan. he'll be ok.

that N64 Hud would be cool if someone incorporated the saber styles and stuff into it

Excellent, interested to see what you come up with.

I was thinking about the HUD but I'm so sick of HUD files after doing my last few scope and HUD mods, heh. Bit burnt out.

No I don't, it only has half the animations, it's a shit ton of work to even compile it all into 1 scene because you have to import 1 at a time and then transfer the animations over to another skeleton to merge them. I also had to set up a mapping template since some files have IK chains while others are nulls making it even more trouble.

Adding bones to the skeleton is just way too much work with way too few rewards.

DT85 and CaptainChar like this

Originally, well, the team behind the vampire blood chonicles was going to use death over the ragnos Npc, since it was just a  flying torso, another method at the then time was to have a layer of block NPC, that would prevent him from ever falling into pits, but we ultimately scapped that one

Got a question for you guys. Should I block it so that you can only jump up to the height of the hedges (or slightly above) in all areas except the lookout points? Or would you prefer being able to walk on top of the hedges freely? There will be fog to impair your vision regardless, but I feel like there's pros and cons to both methods.

I had this issue with the "Haunted Graveyard" map, most people didn't like the N64ish invisible barriers

I feel like it would add to the immersion and challenge having the barriers, but at the same time I don't want to limit people too much. Might release two versions?

a good thing about being limited if you were to use the skeletons or other NPC's it would provide a big challenge for players to have to think a little before dealing with them, eg if the hedges only had Block player, but allowed NPCs

Now there's an idea, I'll have to think about that. If we were to put this into an SP level, I think I'd definitely block off jumping height (but jumping would probably be limited as a game mechanic anyways) but as for the MP version of the map, perhaps I'll do a version with and without the limits so people can choose themselves.

CaptainChar likes this
  • 5 months later...