Cloth sim experiments...

Fiddled with it some.  Still practicing but I just picked cotten and more or less every mesh portion besides the arms and the head I just made them collision based.  The small portion inside the hips torso is surfaced and the rest of the flaps below are just left to dangle like ragdoll/physics would.  From there I just let the animation play out.  I also tweaked the gravity to be a little heavier.  I also notice silk is very airy and can flow a LOT.  My thought is just geting the animations all set for the 17000 and just sending out the fbx file and with any luck can do that in a few days.  Let one of you who know more about baking animations take care of that grunt work though I'm still going to attempt my hand at that.  Currently up to 200 frames just letting it play.  At least THIS way the cloth animations will be in game perhaps sometime before christmas with any luck if we all work together on this.

Again I used the JO _humanoid animations.  Also I was possibly wondering about the idea of someone brining some of the JO animations over and merging them with the JA ones since be nice for at least some kinda JA mod to make use of animations like amcrossarms and amthink again.

Also how would you go about resetting it's position without reseting the entire frame setup or job on said animations for specific frames?  I have them all loaded up at once so it's just doing a continuous play.  AKA basically I want to revert the flaps to the default t-pose position without having to redo all the work since there is specific animations that aren't fighting based.  Or someone who has more time, energy, and experience can go through and do all the clean up.  Regardless, w00t and all that good stuff.  Fighting ones I'm just gonna let them play through completely since those ones wont take to long to do.  Also the more verts you have on the flaps itself the more it's going to bend and so forth around.  For testing purposes, not rig in game purposes it could flesh out and add even more animation to the look and setup since it'll animate out the more detailed mesh.  Just a thought so far.  Either way when I get these standard flaps all animated out I'll get that part of the fbox file download link up as soon as it's done.  Just be the animations.

My idea is a rough sketch and setup of animations.  From there just get them fine tuned.  Knock out the boring and long winded grunt work.

Okay figured out how to reset them back down for animations.  Have some fbx files when I can less some animators and modelers prefer the animation files itself, I'm using max 2010 for this also.

Since I'm using my own personal model for this what I'm going to animate is the flaps and the wrist cloth.  That should fit in with really any standard tunic based jedi model also.

Edited by Oobah

You'd be better off using a recompiled JKA humanoid GLA that has all 5 fingers and the 2 toes brought back ( JKA anim source just needs a new root.xsi model to compile against) and then import that GLA.

I'd be very much interested in checking out your max file. Also, I have ported most of JOs anims to the JKA GLA for jk2hd.

Personally what I'm going to do is release the animations so that more people can try there hand at this and if someone gets it done before me I don't really care, I'm more concerned with just seeing this finally in game.  I still need to research baking animations into bones but first I wanna hammer out this grunt work for animated lower flaps.

z3filus likes this

@@Psyk0Sith @@DT85 @@Oobah @@eezstreet -- we should all collaborate and work together... define a common set of goals and cloth bones (for specific/unique cloth GLAs) that would cover: robes, capes, tunics, sleeve ends, etc.

You can speed up your cloth Sims by putting a Blur transform cache controller on the original humanoid bones (it acts similar to point cache modifier for vertex animated objects).

I'm just going to try and go through all the 17000 animations and just release the cloth with the cloth modifier itself and the animation playtime in it so people can just do what they want with that right there.  I'm trying to keep it as nice and clean looking as possible SO if you find some of them animate akwardly or strangely just fix it or change it up yourself manually whatever.  But this should knock out well over half the animations for people to work with I hope anyway.

Tweaking settings trunacating etc here and there but the biggest problem is the flipping animations and the cloth falling into solid parts of the mesh and getting stuck before it plays another animation.

What I'm going to do is just bypass some of the more crazy flippy animations and or ones that aren't even used in MP specificly like some animations for flipping used only in SP.  This way more focus can be put on the core animations used in MP itself.  With any luck can have the flap meshes up here by tomorrow if all goes smoothly.

My theory basically is at least over 75% or so of animations for standard combat and such should suffice for the flaps.  SP animations and more flashy jumping will need more tweaks.  This should be a good headstart to animated cloth in JK far as I see it.

Edited by Oobah

You'd be better off using a recompiled JKA humanoid GLA that has all 5 fingers and the 2 toes brought back ( JKA anim source just needs a new root.xsi model to compile against) and then import that GLA.

I'd be very much interested in checking out your max file. Also, I have ported most of JOs anims to the JKA GLA for jk2hd.

Big problem is the skeleton I have ported via blender is nothign short of just UGLY but all the game animations are playing.  Second I try to alter the skeleton that was ported in any way it just makes the whole set of animations turn into a giant ragdoll mess.  I can still put up the link for it you quite honestly really want to take a look at it but just be warned, it's nothing short of a mess.  But for doing bulk animations does make knocking things out a lot faster then loading up each animation individually but that is gonna be more required for doing specific animations.

Also to note I would say for the sake of testing or a version one of this whatever release one that has AT least functional flap animations for more or less all the functional animations used in MP, then as time goes on release the skeleton that adds updates.  A big long term project is all well and good but to keep interest in this going I would say small increments for people to test and use would probably get more investment from players.  And for later versions it would just be a matter of the updated bones added and recompiling with the newer animations.

Currently at 8001 animations out of the rest, sadly its just 1 big long animation chain so basically gotta go to the key to filter the flaps to go to the key animation you want.  I'd say just take the animations you want from this and junk the rest.  I will say with confidence the standard weapon swing animations and a few emoticon ones are more or less up to par with being used at least.

I meant recompiling the JKA anim source to get back the omitted bones and then import that GLA into blender. Also, noesis can import GLA's a lot faster than blender. :)

I'm only interested in your cloth sim settings. :)

Since I only have the flaps animating based on the cloth settings and the animation movement that means someone can just bake it to the bones, whatever.  Since both games still share a portion of similar animations regardless it would just be a matter of going to the animation key, since I'm just doing the flaps and nothing else with the bones changing the animations out wont have much difference or effect outside different animations between games.  As for the settings I'll get you a screenshot for what I'm using.

x17IrpQ.png

5bdwLqL.png

For more standing based animations it works fine.  But with flipping and a lot more jerky body movement like jumps flips falls, etc the flaps at times will clip into model portions.  I'm more so just learning and testing things out with the JO animations, can always change it out later.  I'm using the cotten settings also.

DT. likes this

Thanks. :)

I spent all night setting it up, but I think I'm getting good results. Decided to separate the cloth into their own simulations. The only major issue will be walk/run/crouch walk cycles and any other animations that loop. They will need manual editing to look proper. Ideally, the best way is to import each animation but that takes ALOT more time.

I'd say if for certain animations the cloth was a little more sticky and stayed a bit closer to the legs without to much deviation that might solve some of the problem of the cloth getting messy in some cases.  It's just gonna be a lot of trail and error to get the results wanted.  Big problem I'm facing is trying to get the flaps to more or less reset to a fallen position for each new animation that plays since mine at the moment is just 1 long continuous loop.  But that could easily be fixed/solved with simply doing single animations at a time.  Since I have all the animatoins already I was thinking of splitting them up, might take a while itself but I'd have each animation individual instead of the current 1 long animation playing setup.

To make things easier also I would say doing standard swing attacks as well as walking and simple jump animations are probably going to be the easiest to get good animations out of simply because the cloth more or less stays close to a starting position.  Same goes with more stationary animations such as sitting, standing, etc.  The ones that will take the longest are things such as dfas, katas, dieing animations.  In other words the more body movement in bending and spinning the longer it might take to do those animations.  Hope this gives you some idea of ones you can knock out with simulate real fast and easy. :)

Might take me a while again but I can look into getting all JA animations into 3ds max 2010 and put up a download link for you.  Might make things bit easier for you since all you would have to do is just split up animations into specific frames that you would like to use.  Plus doing a bulk simulate on certain animations would save time since the animations that will have more stationary cloth wont have to many inconcistencies looping to the next one. 

Also when you get a working copy setup can you put a download link up with said animations of your custom skeleton seperate from your JK2HD project?  Since it would mean some of us wouldn't have to wait for JK2HD to be completed to make use of the new animations.  I've been also considering doing full scale ports of JO mp maps to JA with cleaned up texture alignments and adding giving the light textures a proper glow.  I can leave that open source for you if you want to or to add it to your project.

I'm thinking of recompiling the JKA GLA to exclude any known looping animations, do the mass cloth sim on all the remaining animations and process the looping animations one by one. Then, export out the non-looping animations to XSI & the looping animations to their own XSI files and run it through carcass. Should produce more desirable results while cutting the work time down.

Sith_stalker model with the JA_humanoid with EVERY single animations possible.  Took well over 3 hours to do, mostly due to the amount of animations getting imported.  The file size is 342 MBs

Why the Sith Stalker model?  The flaps are more or less the size needed to do the flaps for each side from front, back, and the sides.

Scaling from blender made it small but I did size it back up to the standard skeleton that is used, so I don't recommend using this for anything other then:

1 Pulling Animations

2 Cloth Simulation

Far as I can tell also no iffy bone setup also or mesh portions sliding off the bones.  Also the rig job is still there also.  It's in the Max 2010 setup so need either that or later to load it up.  Less someone wants to go through the process of converting the file to other formats, etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/giqwhyj4zrdedi8/JA_Humanoid.max?dl=0

When your in cloth and you expand it to go into groups, the verts you highlight and make into a group you can set specific setups and how those verts itself will function with there cloth settings.  So if you want those specific verts to be a bit more sticky or clingy to the hips and lower portions to be a bit more free flowing.  It's more or less like rigging a model to bones but instead it's just manipulating how the cloth is going to flow and function specificly.

Edited by Oobah
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...