Host Suggestions

Me and a few friends are trying to find a good host for a JKA server. We have ultimately been unsatisfied with every single one we've come across... and now we're starting to waste money. 

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a server host? These are the features we'd like to have:

• Easy access to all server files (no "please send us your file and we'll do it for you" crap)
  • Windows OS (For Lugormod/Makermod)
  • Not-Too-Stiff price for 12 or less slots. 

Here's a list of hosts we've already tried and the reasons why we're not using them:

• Escaped Turkey -> excellent support & quality, however operates on Linux
  • MarkMods -> horrible support, lots of down time, laggy. When I say horrible support, I mean idiotic and almost nonexistent. 
  • Multiplay -> awful file management, charges fees for server renaming (you HAVE to have "multiplay::" in front of the server name or it's +$5)

Like I said, we've paid for a full month at each of these services, and I figured I'd ask first before getting another. 

To be honest, I haven't seen many decent hosts which offer Windows... it's mostly just Linux and buying your own dedicated server with Windows will cost you.

I'm surprised Lugormod/Makermod don't have Linux alternatives, is it difficult to "convert" a code mod or something?

I'm almost certain that when mammoth games was still around the servers were linux based and they hosted lugormod. If worst comes to worst maybe I can bribe my GF's cousin to convert it if necessary.

Escaped Turkey seems to be my best bet.

OP have you tried contacting either Scooper (makermod) or RoboPhred (lugormod) about using the mods on linux servers?

I'm surprised Lugormod/Makermod don't have Linux alternatives, is it difficult to "convert" a code mod or something?

You have to recompile the code on the OS that you're going to be targetting. Unfortunately, Linux/Mac (but Mac especially) are a lot more difficult to compile for. Windows has coding down in a nice little package, and Linux on the other hand...you have to usually compile via terminal or use one of the few (and dodgy for that matter) GUI tools for compiling. Also, not all of the code is very compatible, as there isn't one agreed-upon standard for C across platforms.

Key and Link like this

Markmods support used to be much much better. I have a server with them almost a year now and as long as you know how to deal with your own server problems it's decent. No extreme/long lag nor downtime for me.

Tried Lowpinggameservers? Or how about Nuclear Fallout?

Hypernia is another option but they are shitty about not letting you upload/delete your own DLLs and exes. Also if they get DDOS'ed they just tell you there's downtime and it could last ages...

Yea you can get a decent Windows VPS for $15 minimum. I've seen cheaper ones but they tend to be laggy like crap. Be sure your provider has nothing against game hosting in their TOS.

Thanks for all the suggestions, sorry for late response. Been away all day.

Anyways - I'd like to stay with Markmods because it's the most convenient so far... they have failed to get back to me in a timely manner twice now (on two different support tickets). I'm impatient so maybe it's just me, but 48+ hours is a long time for a support ticket response. In fact, it's been almost 4 days and I'm still waiting for a response as to why the "host is back up" yet no one can connect to our "dead" server. Reinstalling might fix things, I don't know. Haven't been too dedicated to try and fix it yet. 

Yes, I've tried getting ET to run Wine or looking for a way to get LM/MM to work. They never got back to me, I was told "no promises"... so I'm assuming it didn't work out or it never happened. I think there was an old version of Lugormod that supported Linux - not sure... but I'd much rather run the latest versions. I infinitely would have chosen ET over any other host, I've seen what they do and have experienced their customer support / attitudes first hand. 

And finally, yes, I've tried contacting Scooper. No response, I don't know what's going on. I used to be friends with him - he may have gotten a new email or doesn't remember me. I haven't talked to Robo because I saw a few posts saying it was impossible and too time consuming to port Lugormod to Linux/Mac. Not really going to worry about MM as much anymore though, our community admins have decided we'd like to move on to Lugormod now. 

48 hours!? I'm surprised you hadn't fled. They used to have a guy on xfire all the time but he slowly vanished. You should ask for extra game server time. He also knows nothing about troubleshooting JKA servers lol.

A reinstall should (if not will) fix it. At least you have an active server instead of wasting your money.

Scooper doesn't get on the MM forum much.

Too bad I don't run Lugor or I'd help you with your Markmods server. See if anyone else can help you here, or I could get the Lugor files and have a look.

If you have some experience running a Lugor server locally and it works fine, you can upload the whole pile to Markmods in a ZIPPED second folder ''jediacademy2'', put in a ticket to have them delete the first folder and rename yours to ''jediacademy''. Just make sure the stuff looks the same ie base and the exes inside GameData. That's how I got mine to work, was a damn lot of trouble but once it's stable it's smooth.

Well I hope you get things worked out, I've been thinking about starting a lugor server myself but I just have zero knowledge on who the best host would be.

It probably was the older versions before RoboPhred started working on it that supported linux now that I think about it.

Glad you're going with lugormod though, it's a really fun and under rated mod. I used to be hooked on it like some people are hooked on an MMO.

Yes, Zabuza (partner) reinstalled the game and the server is working again... we'll probably spend the rest of the month on MarkMods since it works now... not sure where we'll end up. :S

And yes, 48+ hours. Half the reason I started looking for a new host.

What's the IP of the server? If it's running lugormod I may stop by.

No one has any idea though of how well a dedicated PC based server would run with 32 slots? Now I'm talking Windows XP SP2 32 bit with absolutely NOTHING else on the HDD other than the OS, JA and related JA mods/files. This wont be the PC I use but an older tower, It's a machine from '05 with an AMD Athlon 64 processor, the ram I'm uncertain about since I'm pretty sure 1 stick is bad and I'll have to rule out which 1 at a time.

I figure computing speed needed to host a game while not playing on it shouldn't need to be too high since I wont be playing the game from that PC.

Anyone tried this? Having a tower that's sole purpose is to be a total JA slut?

This just in... Multiplay contacted me about a file I was trying to put onto the server (we technically have 2 servers right now).... Their system works by you uploading a file and them approving it, then adding it to their public database. It creates an entire support ticket in the process. This doesn't fly well when you have private / custom mods you don't want everyone else getting their grubby little hands on (no offense :) ). Anyways, I tried uploading something... They get back to me about it "already being uploaded"... So I look through their database and find nothing. It's filled with hundreds of maps and weapons, search doesn't bring up anything. I'm a little confused because I'm not sure why my mod would be there since I haven't released it publicly, but whatever. Get another reply from the support ticket that was inevitably made for no reason - stating my problem was resolved. Really confused right now, the mod still isn't on the list. The fact that this is such a hassle to upload my own mod and we have to pay $5 to remove the "Multiplay ::" from our server name makes me want to recommend this host.... As one never to go to. At least it didn't take them 3 days to reply.

I don't know our server IP - I'm actually sitting at work right now using my phone. I must say I like the mobile feature :P our server name is "3AmigosLugormod". I just started building last night, so what you see when you spawn is all we have. We will probably do more tonight. I'm going to make a post about our server once it's ready in the Server section.

And finally, yes.... Kinda.... I had a dummy box that just ran JKA in a local apartment for me and like 6 of my friends. I was like 11 when I did it, almost 10 years ago, so I don't really remember anything about it. I know it technically was LAN but I don't think you'd have that much trouble.

This, this is how easy it was to get in touch with me.

And finally, yes, I've tried contacting Scooper. No response, I don't know what's going on. I used to be friends with him - he may have gotten a new email or doesn't remember me.now. 

I haven't changed my email, and you could have contacted me here or on the makermod forums. I haven't received any emails or any private messages from you. I'm quite easy to get in touch with if you give it a try.

I don't remember you though =p

Scooper doesn't get on the MM forum much.

Says who o.o? I check it multiple times a day. I have a habit of hitting my "Makermod forums" tab in my browser.

Now to answer some questions!

I have been contacted a few times years ago where people wanted a linux version of makermod. And more recently I got contacted by escaped turkey, because they've gotten quite a lot of requests for hosting makermod.

So I'm aware that people want this, but unfortunately I can't promise that it will happen very soon. I'll try and get it done though.

So is the server problem solved yet?

I almost tried Multiplay except I couldn't get across to them what I wanted. Now that I know there's no privacy regarding customer content I'm never going to be one of theirs.

A friend of mine once used a real crappy pc (1.6ghz, 1GB RAM)  to host a dedicated JKA server. 16 slots, and he said it used a minimum of 700 MHz, 'a few hundred' mbs of RAM. The only thing was that he's a programmer and tweaked Windows to using very little resource. We later ran Makermod on it too without any problem.

@@Scooper btw there doesn't seem to be a way to PM or email you on the MM forum without requiring an account.

(This'll be the last time I OT in this thread xD)

I had some login issues with my account in the MM forum and in order to contact Scooper I'd have to make a new account which requires email activation I believe, and something had conked up their auto-emailing system. In the end I had to stalk the MM servers and find someone to help me PM him.

You do require an account to send PMs on mm forums, and yes there are some issues with the mailing system that haven't been resolved yet. But my email is in the makermod readmes, and you can send me private messages here as well.

@@eezstreet saves my life once again. 

@@Scooper well I didn't know this was possible - I guess I don't need to contact you anymore though  :P Also, I'm guessing

"jefflucas_JKA@yahoo.com"

isn't your email? I can't remember what name I was going by when I used to talk to you often. It actually might have just been "Austin", which isn't really the most memory-sparking name. I think that's what I had registered as on the original MM forums before y'all got new ones.

@@Mysterious Stranger stay away from Multiplay... the server configuration files are private, however like I said - any PK3 you upload becomes public. I couldn't find a way to make it "private". I don't think they were armed for personal modding... And I haven't been stressing enough - just the fact that they charge you EXTRA MONEY to remove their advertising from your own server name is just ridiculous. Seriously?