Frankensteining Models?

I'm not a modeler and don't plan on becoming one at any point. But I was wondering, is frankensteining models considered an okay thing to do? The reason I ask is because there are a lot of models that have yet to be made that could be done by just taking the head of one model and putting on another. I don't know if that's an easy task for a modeler or not, but it seems it would be rather than starting from scratch, right?

I guess it depends on the model to be honest. Frankensteining is frowned upon, especially for other people's models... But for base models, expecially if you're not a modeller, I have no problem with seeing some of those. A few people might grumble, but it's not a big deal at all with base models imo. Should actually be cool and considered a customization mod rather than new models then all respective aspects of later griping will have been covered. I vote yes. for base... probably not for other people's models unless they consent

Personally - and this is just my opinion, not what you can/can't do - I think people should frankenstein the shit out of models, as long as it's done decently well. With a dying community and so many cool models that could come from something as simple as a head swap I think it would be awesome. Now, being able to release these things is another issue entirely.

Circa, therfiles, ChalklYne and 2 others like this

Yeah. For me, there are a lot of Star Wars character variations that I want to have like a Pilot and Stormtrooper version of Toshi's Luke, or different Padme variations. Things like that. One I really want is the head from the only Qui-Gon model and put on the body of the HS Anakin/Obi-Wan or Toshi's Anakin body. Because the body of the Qui-Gon model is horrid.

If it were my models, i'd be honored that people were still using them, and even wanted more versions of them i.e. pilot suits and things. i'd take it as paying homage to the models and their developers that after all this time, they are still considered the most cannon representation available. I say go for it.

if anything... in the readme, give a link to this exact thread and say that we couldn't contact the authors, and made a community agreement that it was in no disrespect and the authors are being credited

As with any mod that makes use of others' work (in any game), so long as you have the permission of those whose work you're using, there is nothing wrong with it at all.

If a mod author can not be contacted, and all reasonable methods have been exhausted in attempting to reach them, then an argument could be made that they have essentially 'abandoned' their 'copyright' over the original material*. But from a purely moral perspective, this is obviously more of a grey area which is no doubt one of the reasons Frankensteins are relatively uncommon.

*Of course, 'copyright' isn't the correct word to use when talking about modding a game that is someone else's intellectual property to begin with, but I was at a loss for a more accurate term.

I've looked into Frankensteining in the past, but I just don't have the time (or indeed, the expensive-looking software) to devote to learning how to make good quality JA-level models at the moment. I might look at it again in the future, when RL is a little more settled. If only it was as simple a cut-and-paste as the name 'Frankenstein' suggests :P

I don't know what sort of stuff I might look to produce if I ever do get around to it (and I make no promises in that regard anyway!), but I imagine it will be fairly simple, headswap stuff to begin with. A few alien variations for the Jedi robes, etc, that sort of thing.

Circa likes this

I've looked into Frankensteining in the past, but I just don't have the time (or indeed, the expensive-looking software) to devote to learning how to make good quality JA-level models at the moment. I might look at it again in the future, when RL is a little more settled. If only it was as simple a cut-and-paste as the name 'Frankenstein' suggests :P

I don't know what sort of stuff I might look to produce if I ever do get around to it (and I make no promises in that regard anyway!), but I imagine it will be fairly simple, headswap stuff to begin with. A few alien variations for the Jedi robes, etc, that sort of thing.

I know exactly what you mean.

It's so strange to me that more alien variations with robes haven't been made before.

Yeah. I'm no modeler so this is merely to make sure it's okay to request it.

I know @Darth Shiftee made a few frankensteined models and used HapSlash's robes for them. I wonder if he got permission.

Hapslash gave his blessing to anyone who'd like to use his work, as long as proper credits are given, which Shiftee did.

http://hapslashsvoid.yuku.com/topic/412#.TxSSm6WXSWN

I might do some new species myself using his work, simply because it's faster to re-use something that already looks and works great.

Hapslash gave his blessing to anyone who'd like to use his work, as long as proper credits are given, which Shiftee did.

http://hapslashsvoid.yuku.com/topic/412#.TxSSm6WXSWN

I might do some new species myself using his work, simply because it's faster to re-use something that already looks and works great.

That would be awesome, I know a lot of people would appreciate that sort of thing. It would definitely add to JA and make it feel more complete.

It would be nice if a tutorial was made for frankensteining that explained everything in extremely basic terms for us who have never modeled and included links to free software to use to achieve it.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

It would be nice if a tutorial was made for frankensteining that explained everything in extremely basic terms for us who have never modeled and included links to free software to use to achieve it.

I agree I would love to learn but have no idea how to start.

Circa likes this

I'm probably the best person to talk about this as when I first started out all I did was frankenstein models. I learnt to get models ingame before I could model.

Now while it's always better to learn how to make things yourself, frankenstein models aren't exactly shunned unless you:

- try to pass the finished product off as your own work

- do not give credit to the authors of the original models you used

I'm probably the best person to talk about this as when I first started out all I did was frankenstein models. I learnt to get models ingame before I could model.

Now while it's always better to learn how to make things yourself, frankenstein models aren't exactly shunned unless you:

- try to pass the finished product off as your own work

- do not give credit to the authors of the original models you used

What kind of models did you make? You have nothing submitted on here. By the way, you had a WIP Qui-Gon didn't you? Any progress on that at all?

What kind of models did you make? You have nothing submitted on here. By the way, you had a WIP Qui-Gon didn't you? Any progress on that at all?

Oh there was alot of crap I did, all on The Void (if it even exists anymore). Nothing that good tbh.

Qui-gon is left as-is, but I may consider picking it up again once I get my PC & desk over here by tuesday next week seeing as I had to move out of my unit due to a patellar dislocation. :\

Oh there was alot of crap I did, all on The Void (if it even exists anymore). Nothing that good tbh.

Qui-gon is left as-is, but I may consider picking it up again once I get my PC & desk over here by tuesday next week seeing as I had to move out of my unit due to a patellar dislocation. :\

Oh yeah. Duh. I remember you from the Void now. :D

That would be awesome if you would! You had to move out because of an injury?

As far as the Void and frankensteining goes, I found and old thread when Toshi posted the link to the source files for his Anakin/Vader model on ModDB. Should come in handy, no?

http://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-jedi-academy/addons/anakinvader-source-files-3ds-max-7

DT85 likes this

I was going to move out soon anyway, but I couldn't go up and down stairs in my unit while my knee repairs itself and a while after that so I'm back living with parents until my knee is strong enough which is only another 4 weeks. :)

Now Qui-gon keeps floating in my head to make, so I probably will do it after I finish the stormtrooper. ;)

Oh interesting, I didn't know he released his source files. Toshi gave me full permission to do whatever with any of his creations which could prove fun in the long run and those files may come in handy. :D

Circa likes this

@@Psyk0Sith, if you do any updates with Haps models would you consider adding hips and a non-tunic style top please?

I don't think (but I could be wrong) that Hap put a actual pelvis on his legs in order to reduce clipping.

A plain torso such as a bodysuit, t-shirt, baggy-shirt, and etc would allow for more customization and rp potential. It would be much easier to had a Cade Skywalker type of character that way, a disguised jedi, or even just a dude.

@@DT85, if you do anything with Toshi's luke would you look at rewieghting him please? I like the model a lot but the fact that his right hand holds the saber a little slanted drives me crazy to the point I don't use it. 

No expensive software needed, JA character models and animations can be done with free software.

DT85 likes this