New JKA Machinima Team

Hey there, everybody.

For like the past several years, I've been determined to put together a machinima team to make some good shows with JKA. I always found the maps in JKA to be really useful for my ideas (and whatever other ideas others have had). I've had ups and downs with people joining but either they disappeared or there were issues with hosting a sever. I recently tried to make my own, but there are still some issues (elaborated in the tech forum somewhere)

Point is, I'm here to gather anyone who's interested and seriously wants to help out. I have some ideas of my own. The first is a series of episodes that is not Star Wars related but an original idea using JKA. It's called Space Hotel, and uses the Jedi Hotel map as the basis for the story of a floating hotel/resort picking up strange people (and things) from all over the galaxy to give them a place to stay.

In the Star Wars universe, I'm very interested in adapting some classic expanded universe stories I grew up with (Such as Han Solo and Lando Calrissian adventures like Han Solo at Star's End and Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu, the Han Solo trilogy, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, etc)

I have a lot of voice actors and actresses at my disposal. I'll be handling the Fraps camera and most of the editing, since I've had so much experience creating videos. Although if any you have any experience too, by all means feel free to join.

Right now, the project really needs people who actually have the game to control other characters. We could come together, whether on a thread here or some instant chat, whatever, to jog around ideas and write stuff up.

The other major problem, actually THE major problem, is the server we'll be using. Like I said, I'm having issues with starting one up. I've been relentless trying to figure it out or figure out another option. Any help is appreciated and I can't wait to talk if you're interested.

I still have to figure out a name for the machinima production team, but that'll be for later.

Experience:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Link642006

I could also help with the server if needed.

Wow, that's really damn good. How did you get the lightsaber fighting to flow so well? (I watched the featured video and then the latest upload - Rosh Penin Volume 100% #7 My Cousin's Cat)

The issue I have with my "server" is that it doesn't show up on the server list. I've been wrestling with it for the past couple of years. When you say help with the server, do you mean you own one?

Well I could always host a server on an Amazon instance whenever you need it, although thinking about it, it might be costly... So perhaps not XD

In terms of the fighting scenes I did, they were just carefully planned between each frame... although I always wanted to do a serious video with some really epic fighting that is actually original.

Well, by "owning" a server I didn't mean strictly one you pay for, it could just be a dedicated server or whatever. In the end, we just need a place to gather (while having the same maps the machinima calls for, of course)

A lot of the stuff I have in mind wouldn't be centered around lightsaber combat (or really any kind of sword combat). The combat that occurs is mostly pew pew pew with lasers and explosions and then fisticuffs.

The only machinima I have ever made in jedi academy was in makermod, and I never even posted it anywhere. Might be interested in this though, jedi academy could use some machinima other than the "re-edited versions", and "Monty Python" xD.

Don't know if I'll ever end up helping you guys with machinima, so I suppose I'll post some of my idea below.

Since I'm making an RPG adventure in makermod, perhaps you could use some of my ideas? (The original thread is here, pics of the rpg adventure are labeled "My latest script":  http://jkhub.org/topic/2261-makermod-pics/ The entire thing was built of game objects, it's not a bsp) The adventure is about a group of...explorers I guess, which have the goal of travelling to different areas to collect crystals. They need the three crystals, the sapphire, the ruby, and the emerald. Once they have collected all of them, they then go to a temple to fuse them together to create a diamond. Later, someone who was helping them locate the crystals was planning the whole thing all along, so he could take their power and conquer the land. After the heros defeat him, the story ends. 

Areas:

-Rocky mountains with enemy base (Sapphire)

-Forest maze with a small tower with the boss at the top of it (Emerald)

-Fight arena like in Paper Mario The Thousand Year door. (Ruby)

-Temple (Diamond)

If I end up finishing my RPG adventure, I'll probably make this myself, but I might not, so feel free to use my ideas. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

NOPE. Not dead. Still working on it. It's been slow progress. I'm halfway through the script and I'm currently going through voicers testing the lines so I can properly cast the characters. But as for people to actually help me with the server/a place to film/actually controlling the models, I have nobody.

I've just been busy and usually forget about this site since I'm very new. THANKFULLY I put email notifications for this thread.

Couldn't you run your own dedicated server from home? If your picky, you could use tunngle or hamachi or something. (Of course, that would require other people had those too :( )...you don't need to have a paid dedicated server, do you?

No. That confused me at first becuase the very first person who was interested years ago said we needed to pay for one. So I was like "Okay. . ." and just rolled with it. Later, I found out about setting up your own dedicated server. Like I said in the first post, as it has been for a couple years now, setting up a dedicated server never seemed to work. I never got the server running and showing up on the master list, no matter what ports I opened and double-checking the code and etc, etc. I think I started a thread a while ago asking for help specifically for that. I should check, but I don't think it went anywhere.

Well, if you can contact the other machinimators via xfire, they can just connect directly via the IP. The server list fails to work for me too, so I connect to my friends by using:

/connect <ip address here>

Tunngle is also useful for setting up your own home dedicated server. With it, you just have your friends join if they have tunngle, then normally create a game (no need for dedicated here), and they can simply join by connecting to your tunngle ip. Almost like a local game. But this may be a bit confusing, so use the first option I recommended above I suppose.

What's your xfire, maybe I can help you with this.

Bacon likes this

I've always wanted to do something like this  on other games but it was hard to find the people.  I can do a bit of voice acting myself but not professionally of course xD

I do have a lot of spare time on my hands so i'm free most times or either mapping/modeling something, so i'd love to help out :D

Message me if you're interested!

I'm also pretty good at coming up with ideas and brainstorming (i used to do a lot of writing when i was younger) so no problems if you want input along the way.

Bacon likes this

Its true, finding people around JKA willing to either do full roles or just puppeteers even ifs it a short moment.  Or you do find people and they are unwilling to follow instructions or they just signed up to ruin shots(trolls)
Tho its not impossible to to some things alone, with a little editing and camera tricks.

CaptainCrazy likes this

Well, if you can contact the other machinimators via xfire, they can just connect directly via the IP. The server list fails to work for me too, so I connect to my friends by using:

/connect <ip address here>

Tunngle is also useful for setting up your own home dedicated server. With it, you just have your friends join if they have tunngle, then normally create a game (no need for dedicated here), and they can simply join by connecting to your tunngle ip. Almost like a local game. But this may be a bit confusing, so use the first option I recommended above I suppose.

What's your xfire, maybe I can help you with this.

I thhhhhiiiink I tried that. . .? I'm pretty sure I did. I'm referring to the /connect command on the console. I think it's another issue aside from not showing up on the master list. When I check the status of the server when I play on it, it says on the console that it's not connected. I forgot the command you type at the moment to check the connectivity of the server, but whenever I tried it, the console replied with "server not running" or something like that.

• 7 months later...

So. . . .

So this died for a while.

Life happened and whatknot.

I was looking around at old bookmarks and came across this. Of course I remember it. My biggest issue is successfully hosting a server. I've come to the conclusion that this game is just too damn old to do that on my laptop. I can run it, sure. There's no problem with that. But trying to host my own server never, ever, ever - EVER works. It's just not turning out right.  

I'm still interested in doing this. I'll always be. The top priority is just a place to film - just a server to join and film.

if someone is willing to have us use that, that'd be great. And we can get the ball rolling.

I do have ideas down. I'm an aspiring writer and I wrote a first draft of a sci-fi comedy novel. That and I'm also very interested in doing machinima adaptations of early Star Wars EU books, such as Han Solo at Star's End and Lando Calrissian adventures.

So I'll be active again, vigilant from time to time on here seeing if anyone is interested.

So instead of just having a server you want a fully controlled server to play with, sometimes you should just take what you can get and let the magic of editing do the work.

I guess. . . just that some stories are really dependent on the setting of certain maps. I'll take a look at random servers that nobody goes on anymore, see what's up.

Anyone who wants to act great, just say so. If you want to help throw around ideas/write stuff, then private message me.

ShakeThatSalt likes this
  • 1 month later...

UPDATE:

So, long story short, Captain Crazy is actually creating the map for the hotel that is to be the major setting of the series. My own girlfriend, an artist, will sketch out the rooms and stuff to help us.

I'm taking this nice and easy so that the end product will be dished out with finesse. We'll be working on ideas and scripts as the map comes along and I will also be in charge of casting people and having voice actors audition for roles. (Those two whom I messaged - what's up? If I don't hear from you within the week I'll be PMing you)

Anyone who wants to help chip in on the brainstorming for the episodes, feel free to jump in.

CaptainCrazy likes this