The screenshot that Chalk provided looks disproportionately tall. Also, yeah, the wing pylons as well as the bottom/top of the command pod look wrong (Chalk's is smooth, the movie versions have rough edges/possible hatches, I'm not sure what those are).

Ill look at the shape of it. It also looks too long from the top view I will get right to that.  Those small details in the "WingNut" as I have come to call it, arent going to be there after i finish unwrapping and texturing it. I will rendermap something nice for it and then delete them.

EDIT: Fixed

kqc7.jpg

Edited by ChalklYne

If you're using this model as a high poly source for baking AO and cavity maps then it doesn't need UV's. Copy the model and delete all the extra detail and apply the ultimapper property to the lowrez model and choose the higrez as the source. That or you can use xNormal which I've had some good results with and seems to be very popular in the polycount community.

See I was just reading about ultimapper. How would I not need UV coordinates? Ohhh on the high res I wouldnt, then carry it over to the low res uv's by ultimapper I get it. Right on man thank you. So now just load all the geometry I want and make it a real nice high res right? 

Actually, wait, no I'm confused. I'm going to go watch some tuts on ultimapper and will be back to figure out what you mean

Hey can someone help me set up a realtime viewport?

That hatch looks like a fez. Although fezzes are cool, they have no place on a tie fighter. Please, please, use the blueprints I posted as rotoscope images for the basic shapes. Don't talk about UV maps or other stuff when you don't have the geometry right. Have some order in your workflow. I've been following you since I signed up on this forum, and what you don't lack on skill, you lack in focus and patience.

what hatch? Im not going 100% by the blueprints for the shape. I want this one thinner and sleeker. but fezzes must be eliminated. I was satisfied with the shape and saw no fez is why Im saying UV. By all means though, point out your fez and ill kill it.

EDIT: hahahahaha!! 

etny.jpg

Can you tell i've rounded the window frame as well for ya? Not too much to save polies but still it does look better

Never mind, I was looking at the tie fighter from the top. If you're not going by the blueprints then I don't see the point of doing this at all. If you want to re imagine stuff I would say you should do it with some characters (like Kyle Katarn, Dash Rendar or any EU characters that hasn't been portrayed in a movie already). Vehicles are very well documented and redesigning them will only created rejection in my opinion.

I see where you're coming from. By not 100% I mean on this particular model I want the wings a bit taller like they are now, and I want the pylons a bit sleeker, like they are now. Anything otherwise that looks off is pure me screwing up and should be pointed out. I will revisit the blueprints and make sure it's all good. I know the wing braces need rebuilt. I am re-imagining a bit here, intentionally... but I will make sure to stay as close as I can otherwise dude. You guys wont let me screw that part up =P I am totally reimagining Juno, but it is necessary for the storyline, and I expect a decent outcome.

Another important thing to consider when you get to texturing is what color you want the TIE to be. The current one in Academy comes up as gray while the TIE Bomber comes out as blue. I personally recommend blue but whatever you think works.

• 3 months later...

As more of a mod collector than one that is capable in the arts, can I thank everyone in this forum? Suggestions are made, explanations given, things are accepted... You guys are really civil and helpful and you are all awesome.

Also, while it soaks up more time, I can already feel that this tie is going to be more accurate than the base game one. It'll be nice to see the fresh designs in completion.

Circa and Barricade24 like this