Frequently Asked Questions

Xycaleth

What is OpenJK?

OpenJK (short for Open Jedi Knight) is a community effort to maintain and improve upon the Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast source, released by Raven Software under the GNU General Public License v2. Our main goal is to provide the perfect engine for JA and JO modders alike with improved features, as well as keeping backwards compatibility with the retail versions of JA/JO, so that all the work of previous modders are not wasted!

If you want to talk to us more about OpenJK, you can find most of the main developers on IRC, server irc.arloria.net, channel #jacoders.

Where can I download OpenJK?

While there is not a solid release for OpenJK just yet, you can find weekly unstable builds for Microsoft Windows, Linux and OS X here: http://builds.openjk.org. These are automatically created every week so that they have the latest changes made in the source code. These builds are still experimental and are not guaranteed to run without problems on your computer. However, if you do come across any problems when using them, please feel free to file a bug report!

What do I need to run OpenJK?

You firstly need an original copy of the game. Downloading OpenJK does not mean you can play JO or JA without buying them first, as they contain all of the assets (maps, models, textures and so on) required for the game to play (the assets are what make up the game). A few places you can find a copy of JO or JA are Steam, Amazon and Play.com.

Can you add feature XXX to OpenJK?

Please post any feature requests to these forums! Feature requests are a little more difficult as we want to maintain backwards compatibility with the retail version of JA, but a lot of the requests we've had in the past have been for gameplay changes (e.g., Can you add poison darts?, or Can you make Lightsabers less powerful?) instead of engine changes (e.g., Can you add multimonitor support? or Can you add normal mapping to the renderer?) We understand that not everyone sees the difference between the two types of changes so a bit more discussion is needed :)

How do I report a bug?

You can report any bugs to by creating a new thread in this sub-forum, or by using our issue tracker - please remember to provide enough detail for someone to reproduce the bug. At the very least, we expect you to provide the operating system you were using, whether it was in single player or multiplayer, what the bug is, and what you expected to happen. Remember, if we can't make the bug happen, then we can't fix it! Here's a basic example of a bug report.

Operating System:
Ubuntu Linux 12.04 64-bit

SP/MP:
SP

What the problem is:
Lightsabers are able to deflect rockets fired by ATSTs.

What I expected to happen:
I expected the Lightsaber not to deflect the rockets, and for it to hit me!

If you really don't know what caused the bug to happen, try and remember the last few things you did before the bug happened, and list these in your report.

How does the licensing work for mods which used the original SDK code?*

If your mod was created using the original SDK code and does not depend on any additions or changes made by OpenJK, then your code remains licensed under the EULA provided with the SDK. Your mod will still work on OpenJK! If your mod was created using the original SDK code, but does depend on any additions or changes made by OpenJK, then you will need to license all of your source code under the GNU General Public License v2. The same applies if your mod is created using the code in OpenJK.

* We are not lawyers, and this cannot be considered as legal advice. This is just our understanding of the way it works. If you're really worried about it, you should get in touch with a solicitor/lawyer.

Why doesn't <insert mod name here> work in OpenJK?

In recent years, mods such as Movie Battles II, Jedi Knight Galaxies and Makermod have started to be more inventive with developing their mods, making use of a technique called hooking. This allows them to provide additional functionality which wouldn't ordinarily be possible. The downside is it relies on a specific version of the engine that to run the mod (i.e. the retail version of JA). As OpenJK is a different version of the engine, these mods will crash unless they are updated to check the engine being used.

How can I contribute to OpenJK?

The OpenJK GitHub project can be found over at https://github.com/JACoders/OpenJK. Although OpenJK is purely a source code project, that doesn't mean you have to be able to code to contribute. Here are ways you can help us:

• Reporting bugs so that we can improve usability and stability
  • Post suggestions or ideas. We want to know what you think and what we can do to make OpenJK better.
  • Write documentation for OpenJK - tutorials, how-tos, troubleshooting guides, anything like that which will make OpenJK easier to use.
  • Reply to help topics in this forum. If you know how to solve someone's problem, then please do help them.

If you're a programmer, you can contribute to improving the source code by tidying the code up or picking tasks off of our issues list. The best way to submit source code improvements is by making the changes in your own fork of OpenJK in a new branch, and then submitting a pull request. This lets us review your code changes, making sure it looks good and that the code style generally conforms to the rest of the code base. If everything looks good, we'll merge your changes in :D

I can't open the console!

OpenJK uses SDL as a window and input manager. A side effect of this is that on certain international keyboard formats, the original console keybind does not work correctly.

As a workaround, we have implemented SHIFT+ESC as an alternative. On standard keyboard formats, the original ` (~ key) still works - the SHIFT is no longer required for this keybind.

If you don't like this, you can adjust it with the cl_consoleKeys cvar.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

item_enviro - sheld wall (?) in jk the camera turns on (as in case of mind trick 4) = no exit in OpenJK - crash game. in sp

So to clarify, using the shield wall item in SP causes OpenJK to crash? What does this have to do with cameras?
  • 2 weeks later...

There is an opportunity to return all styles a saber?

fast-med-strong-desann-tavion-dual-staff-fast.

setsaberstyle dual - works.

(It is possible to learn? setsaberstyle staff - don't work. how to activate this style? )
(how to add desann tavion styles in the menu? ui_newsaberstyle) whether is possible?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry, that was my bad. When I updated the FAQ, I thought Linux and OSX builds were being uploaded, but it was only the Linux builds. I then forgot to update the FAQ to state this :( I've updated the FAQ now though so there's no more confusion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...